The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Question Posession Arrow Change after T?

Boys AAU this past weekend. Visitors assistant coach is acessed a technical foul at halftime for continuing to argue a call after the half is over. Home team has the arrow. We shoot the technical to begin the second half and give the ball to the home team at the division line for the throw-in. As the ball is thrown in, I notice the table has turned the arrow and it is now pointing toward the visitors.

I don't think the arrow should have changed, but trying to referee, run, chew gum, and reason all at the same time is too much of a challenge for my old brain.

Was I correct that the arrow should not have changed? I now think the throw-in was the result of a technical foul penalty and not an alternating posession.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 07:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
Was I correct that the arrow should not have changed? I now think the throw-in was the result of a technical foul penalty and not an alternating posession.
You were correct for NFHS rules. NCAA rules would have shot the FTs and gone to the POI (which was the AP throw-in to start the half).

But since this is AAU, I'm assuming NFHS rules. So the arrow should not have changed.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Boys AAU this past weekend. Visitors assistant coach is acessed a technical foul at halftime for continuing to argue a call after the half is over. Home team has the arrow. We shoot the technical to begin the second half and give the ball to the home team at the division line for the throw-in. As the ball is thrown in, I notice the table has turned the arrow and it is now pointing toward the visitors.

I don't think the arrow should have changed, but trying to referee, run, chew gum, and reason all at the same time is too much of a challenge for my old brain.

You are correct. The arrow should not have changed.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As others have said, you were correct. Anytime there's something "unusual" like this, it's a good idea to remind the table what to do with the arrow. (A more common example would be a held ball followed by a time out before the throw in -- remind the table to switch the arrow after the throw-in.)
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
But since this is AAU, I'm assuming NFHS rules.
I've only worked Girls' AAU in our area, but we are told to apply NCAA-W rules.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 10:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

jkjenning: do they have a shot clock?
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
No.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...so without a shot clock, then they are not really apply NCAA-W rules anyway?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 12:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's my thinking. Without a shot clock or a 10 second BC limit, this just opens things up to a real slow game. Not that I mind that, but it just seems odd. There aren't really many differences, but the one I can think of off the top of my head would be problematic without a shot clock, I think.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Here we are using full NCAA-W rules for Girls AAU, including 30-second shot clock.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

What age group? Here, AAU is pretty much just 14 and under, and they're lucky to have bleachers.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
What age group? Here, AAU is pretty much just 14 and under, and they're lucky to have bleachers.
2 weekends ago I worked a 13U tourney. There was a 10U game behind me and they were also using the shot clock.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
18U (most might be 16U...), but using HS gyms so no shot clock on account of that I guess. Each year I try to get a bit better acquainted with NCAA-W when the AAU games come around, but I'm sure the teams are exposed to quite a mixture of calls since they play on HS teams and their AAU games are administered by HS officials who are working to apply rules with which we are not really trained in. For the most part, it means line up differently on the FT line, let them enter the lane on release... stuff like that, but I do try to gain a bit more knowledge every year.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
...so without a shot clock, then they are not really apply NCAA-W rules anyway?
Doesn't matter here...HS and NCAA both have shot clocks.