The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

six in the game

Team A inbounds ball into there front court. A6 enters game during live ball action just as A1 shoots and hits a three point shot. Officials notice there is six in the game once B is at half court. Does shot by A1 count? If not, I can't find case sit. Official in game wiped 3 point shot and gave T to team A. Was this a correctable error sit. How should it have been handled.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie719
Team A inbounds ball into there front court. A6 enters game during live ball action just as A1 shoots and hits a three point shot. Officials notice there is six in the game once B is at half court. Does shot by A1 count? If not, I can't find case sit. Official in game wiped 3 point shot and gave T to team A. Was this a correctable error sit. How should it have been handled.
If the officials saw A6 come in before the shot, the problem should have been penalized then.
If the officials noticed A6 was in after the shot, they should not have wiped the three.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I thought. It was noticed after the shot. Where can I find a reference to show where the mistake was made. I am having trouble location a rule or case sit. Thanks
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

As Mick said it depends upon when the officials recognized the technical foul. If it was after the try, then the ball was live and the goal has to count. If it was before the try was released then the ball became dead at that time and no goal is scored.
There is no direct statement for this play in the books, you have to connect the dots between a few different rules.

RULE 5
SECTION 1 GOAL
ART. 1 . . . A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through. No goal is scored if an untouched throw-in goes through the basket.

RULE 6
SECTION 7 DEAD BALL
The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 1 . . . A goal, as in 5-1, is made.
ART. 2 . . . It is apparent the free throw will not be successful on a:
a. Free throw which is to be followed by another free throw.
b. Free throw which is to be followed by a throw-in.
ART. 3 . . . A held ball occurs, or the ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange.
ART. 4 . . . A player-control or team-control foul occurs.
ART. 5 . . . Anofficial's whistle is blown (see exceptions a and b below).
ART. 6 . . . Time expires for a quarter or extra period (see exception a below).
ART. 7 . . . A foul, other than player- or team-control, occurs (see exceptions a, b and c below).
ART. 8 . . . A free-throw violation by the throwing team, as in 9-1, occurs.
ART. 9 . . . A violation, as in 9-2 through 13, occurs (see exception d below).
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

I think we should also throw in 10-1-6 for good measure:

A team shall not have more than five team members participating simultaneously.
PENALTY: Penalized if discovered while being violated.