The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   six in the game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32622-six-game.html)

howie719 Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:22pm

six in the game

Team A inbounds ball into there front court. A6 enters game during live ball action just as A1 shoots and hits a three point shot. Officials notice there is six in the game once B is at half court. Does shot by A1 count? If not, I can't find case sit. Official in game wiped 3 point shot and gave T to team A. Was this a correctable error sit. How should it have been handled.

mick Sat Mar 10, 2007 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by howie719
Team A inbounds ball into there front court. A6 enters game during live ball action just as A1 shoots and hits a three point shot. Officials notice there is six in the game once B is at half court. Does shot by A1 count? If not, I can't find case sit. Official in game wiped 3 point shot and gave T to team A. Was this a correctable error sit. How should it have been handled.

If the officials saw A6 come in before the shot, the problem should have been penalized then.
If the officials noticed A6 was in after the shot, they should not have wiped the three.

howie719 Sat Mar 10, 2007 02:43pm

That's what I thought. It was noticed after the shot. Where can I find a reference to show where the mistake was made. I am having trouble location a rule or case sit. Thanks

Nevadaref Sat Mar 10, 2007 09:25pm

As Mick said it depends upon when the officials recognized the technical foul. If it was after the try, then the ball was live and the goal has to count. If it was before the try was released then the ball became dead at that time and no goal is scored.
There is no direct statement for this play in the books, you have to connect the dots between a few different rules.

RULE 5
SECTION 1 GOAL
ART. 1 . . . A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through. No goal is scored if an untouched throw-in goes through the basket.

RULE 6
SECTION 7 DEAD BALL
The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 1 . . . A goal, as in 5-1, is made.
ART. 2 . . . It is apparent the free throw will not be successful on a:
a. Free throw which is to be followed by another free throw.
b. Free throw which is to be followed by a throw-in.
ART. 3 . . . A held ball occurs, or the ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange.
ART. 4 . . . A player-control or team-control foul occurs.
ART. 5 . . . Anofficial's whistle is blown (see exceptions a and b below).
ART. 6 . . . Time expires for a quarter or extra period (see exception a below).
ART. 7 . . . A foul, other than player- or team-control, occurs (see exceptions a, b and c below).
ART. 8 . . . A free-throw violation by the throwing team, as in 9-1, occurs.
ART. 9 . . . A violation, as in 9-2 through 13, occurs (see exception d below).

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 10, 2007 09:34pm

I think we should also throw in 10-1-6 for good measure:

A team shall not have more than five team members participating simultaneously.
PENALTY: Penalized if discovered while being violated.