The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Did anyone notice the referee giving the wrong signal for ineligible downfield twice during this game? He gave the 12 men on the field signal.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I saw it once but didn't watch the whole game. I won't criticize though....I'd love the have the opportunity to walk in those stripes. Bob McElwee gave delay of game and pointed the wrong way in a SuperBowl....bleep happens!

What I will criticize is officials at Lincoln Financial Field clearly missed an illegal formation by the Giants and threw the flag for defense in the neutral zone which gave the Giants a first down and they ultimately scored. I was showing my wife an example of what an illegal formation was by pointing to the 5 men clearly in the backfield before the snap. When the flag went up I said "see they caught it, it's coming back." When I was "wrong" she said "keep your calls to yourself!" LOL
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

It just proves all officials are human. In our state, an incorrect signal could cost you a state final assignment. Mike Carey seems to be a pretty good official.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Yeah, I saw it once but didn't watch the whole game. I won't criticize though....I'd love the have the opportunity to walk in those stripes. Bob McElwee gave delay of game and pointed the wrong way in a SuperBowl....bleep happens!

What I will criticize is officials at Lincoln Financial Field clearly missed an illegal formation by the Giants and threw the flag for defense in the neutral zone which gave the Giants a first down and they ultimately scored. I was showing my wife an example of what an illegal formation was by pointing to the 5 men clearly in the backfield before the snap. When the flag went up I said "see they caught it, it's coming back." When I was "wrong" she said "keep your calls to yourself!" LOL
Obviously an Eagle fan talking. That play looked fine up here.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I was waiting from one of our North Chapter brethren to respond to that. I'm sure you can hear me laughing all the way down at Exit 2! Have a great new year!
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Did anyone notice the referee giving the wrong signal for ineligible downfield twice during this game? He gave the 12 men on the field signal.
Let's not be too hard on the official with the wrong signal. We all have our brain freezes or in my case "senior moments". I gave an incorrect signal for intentional grounding in a district championship game this year and the local message boards had a field day with it. The irony of it is, it bothered me, starting after the next play was run until now, more than anyone could imagine. But, don't be too hard on me, I just finishd my 49th year of officiating. And, I'm not done yet. I had one of the most rewarding years in my career this past year. I worked a full schedule plus an A District Championship, a AA District Championship and a Regional Final in high school. I worked a full schedule for two semi-pro teams, a quarter-final play-off game, a semi-final play-off game and the League championship game plus the League All-Star game. And the highlight of my year, I was inducted into the American Football Association Hall Of Fame in Chicago in June.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
He actually gave the wrong signal twice. Mr. Carey seemed to be off his game a little that day. But like someone else said, we all have our moments!

[Edited by grantsrc on Dec 28th, 2005 at 10:39 AM]
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I can't believe the guy is 56 years old. He looks much younger.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
I can't believe the guy is 56 years old. He looks much younger.
Mike Carey?
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a link to a 2000 article about Mike and Don Carey.

http://sdcfoa.org/recognition/Carey%...20referee'

He was 51 at the time of the article.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

HOLY SMOKES, I would have never guessed. That's cool.