The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

These guys must have called an excellent game

I heard a couple of fans compliment the officials after a game last night, but I am sure they did not intend to compliment them.

Guy in red hat: Can you believe that? Those guys didn't call a reach the entire night.

Guy in red shirt: I don't remember any over the back calls either.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 02:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

In a boys varsity game this season, my partner at lead called a player control when the shooter jumped into the vertically airborne defender.
Fans in the crowd, "Oh come on, he jumped even higher than the shooter."
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's nice to know some fans still appreciate the job we do
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Rare Compliment

I actually had an extremely rare occurrence happen to me in a section playoff game, no less. As we were walking out, a parent of the losing team complimented us on a great job in a very physical game. I almost didn't know what to say except thanks. I'll definitely file that one in my memory banks.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 08:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells

In a boys varsity game this season, my partner at lead called a player control when the shooter jumped into the vertically airborne defender.
Fans in the crowd, "Oh come on, he jumped even higher than the shooter."
Doing a high-profile BV semi a few years ago. Mid-3Q the game is obviously becoming something to write home about. Players from other gym coming over to watch, players for next semi all there to watch. Tonnes of parents.

Defender is in his vertical airspace and A1, also airborne, doesn't quite release the ball in time before crashing into B1. It's all in front of the A bench. I'm T and right on the play. Tweet. PC. With all the energy of this game, I got to use a little pizzazz with the call, which of course I used.

Of course Team A HC goes off the wall. As I administer the throw-in, I hear the AC tell the HC that verticality applies to being airborne as well. I felt the world get a little better at that moment. He's a good AC.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99
Guy in red shirt: I don't remember any over the back calls either.

Reminds me of a game I had two years ago. The forward from team B was complaining that I did not call OTB on a rebound that the girl behind her tipped to herself. I explained to her, exact words: "There is NO SUCH THING as over the back." I then told her why--clean rebound, no contact.

One quarter later, my partner calls her for, you guessed it, OVER THE BACK. He even reported it with what I disaffectionately call the "Frankenstein" signal.

She gave me the OS stare of death. Couldn't blame her!
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Doing a high-profile BV semi a few years ago. Mid-3Q the game is obviously becoming something to write home about. Players from other gym coming over to watch, players for next semi all there to watch. Tonnes of parents.
FIBA game ?
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Frankenstein Signal

From Mplagrow: "OVER THE BACK. He even reported it with what I disaffectionately call the "Frankenstein" signal."

Mplagrow: Great quote. This is the first time I've heard the term "Frankenstein Signal". We certainly don't see this on the Official NFHS Signals Chart in our NFHS Rule Book. Did you come up with this term?
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"There is NO SUCH THING as over the back."
I wouldn't say this, because there IS such a thing as "over the back." No, its not defined in the rules, but, like a "reach", it is (or at least can be) a descriptive term. To me, the best thing to say is what you said; "clean rebound, no contact."
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I went to watch a quarter final state game. The officials were from richmond Va. I felt that it was the best game I ever saw officiated as an official or of 20 years coaching.. I truly enjoyed the game the way it was managed, communicated, mechanically sound and the coaches even expressed that as well. I also didn't see too many over the back(which doesn't exist anywhere in the rule book,) IMO LOL 1/2 half fouls 5 to 6 and 2nd half 7 to 6 over all a fairly even game..
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From Mplagrow: "OVER THE BACK. He even reported it with what I disaffectionately call the "Frankenstein" signal."

Mplagrow: Great quote. This is the first time I've heard the term "Frankenstein Signal". We certainly don't see this on the Official NFHS Signals Chart in our NFHS Rule Book. Did you come up with this term?
I think I've heard it thrown around the forum. Arms straight forward at a 60 degree angle, usually with hands pointed down.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I wouldn't say this, because there IS such a thing as "over the back." No, its not defined in the rules, but, like a "reach", it is (or at least can be) a descriptive term. To me, the best thing to say is what you said; "clean rebound, no contact."
It is a bad descriptive term and should not be used. It is not illegal to be on someone's back any more than it is to be on their side or their front. A reach is not ever illegal because you could never have a steal without someone "reaching" at some point. If you want to use that terminology that is your right to do so, but these terms do not describe the rules. I do not talk to players or coaches that use those terms because there is nothing inherently illegal about these "descriptions."

Peace
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I wouldn't say this (out loud) anymore, but I disagree with you. There is no foul or violation for over the back. The problem with using it as a descriptive term is this: many ignorant coaches, players, and fans believe that if you attempt to rebound from behind it is automatically an 'over the back' foul. Just like many believe that if you reach in for the ball, it's a 'reaching' foul. Have you ever heard a coach yell, "Come on, he's REACHING IN!" Of course he's reaching in, he's playing defense! But the coach wants a foul just for that act. These are descriptive terms to be avoided. I don't call a 'reaching' foul, I call a foul for contact on the arm. I don't call 'over the back,' I call a pushing foul.

I do agree with you that I would no longer tell a player, "There's no such thing as over the back." I would use your same statement about the clean rebound.