The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Fellas: Check out your 2005 fall edition of NFHS quarterly. Another well-written article Bob M. This one has to do with your keys in the passing game for crews of 4 and 5 officials. I know I'm speaking on behalf of many officials when I say this is helpful and very much appreciated.

Nice piece of work!
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

What is NFHS quartly, it appears I don't get this publication. Details please.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

It's a quarterly magazine put out by the NFHS that's specifically targeted to high school officials for all sports. I have no idea how you get it. I received a copy a few months after I became a registered varsity official. It's my guess that my chapter probably subscribes to it on my behalf. It's worth looking into and I recommend you start by looking at the fed web site or call them.

There's always good articles like the one I cited earlier. There's a 2nd one I just stumbled on in the same edition that I haven't read yet. It's titled "It's the small things that are important." The article is written by a Wisconsin football official with the emphasis that "the small things associated with a high school football game can go a long way toward facilitating a smoothly run contest."

Like I said good stuff. Unfortunately I don't know exactly how I got on the list to get this but it is good. Hopefully someone else knows.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Another great publication by Bob M. is "Penalty Enforcement for Dummies". Maybe he'll post some links to his stuff. Bob's da bomb.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'd certainly like to find out, I will check the NFHS website.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I used to get it.. Have not gotten one in a long time tho.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: ljudge...thanks for the endorsement. I haven't seen the publication yet. Hopefully, it will be there when I get home.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: ljudge...thanks for the endorsement. I haven't seen the publication yet. Hopefully, it will be there when I get home.
Any clue on how to get the publication?
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
Another great publication by Bob M. is "Penalty Enforcement for Dummies". Maybe he'll post some links to his stuff. Bob's da bomb.
Some of Bob's stuff can be found at http://www.njfoa-north.org. No doubt his latest work will end up there too.

I'm still waiting for Bob to update Penalty Enforcement for Dummies so I can post it.

[Edited by waltjp on Aug 23rd, 2005 at 01:01 PM]
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: In order to get the publication, I think it's a matter of your state association registering you as a member of the NFHS. If they do that, you should get it; if not, you probably won't. Here in NJ, they do. In any case, I'll forward it to waltjp to post on our chapter's website.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: In order to get the publication, I think it's a matter of your state association registering you as a member of the NFHS. If they do that, you should get it; if not, you probably won't. Here in NJ, they do. In any case, I'll forward it to waltjp to post on our chapter's website.
Oh okay, that sounds good. Just let us know when its on there as I'm interested in the read.

Thanks
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

It is a good article and something I am learning much more about this year. I have one question though. After looking at the illustrations and the wording of the article, it states that BJ should be keying off of the inside eligible receiver on the strong side of the formation. Whereas the official's manual has BJ keying off of the end on the strong side.

I am comparing Figure 2 for 5-man on page 5 to the lower figure on page 56.

What is the source of this conflict? It looks like this could have something to do with the 4-yard reference to the distance a player is from a lineman to change him from a tight end to a split end.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: warrenkicker...you've got me at a disadvantage since I still have not seen the actual article. But just a few points:
(1) I began the article by saying that this is just one system for assigning pre-snap passing keys. There are others which may agree with some elements of mine and disagree with others. The important thing is that, regardless of the system you use, ALL officials on the crew must be using the same system. A good example is how keys are assigned when motion is involved. There are two distinct and disparate schools of thought on that.
(2) I stand by the statement that the BJ should key on the inside eligible receiver on the strength side of the formation. From all of my experience and research, this is pretty much a 'given' for all systems that I've seen. I think that the NFHS Official's Manual is pretty much saying the same thing because usually (but not always) the inside receiver is the tight end. But what about a typical slot formation? There, the strength side of the formation typically includes a split end and the slot back. In such a case, the BJ should be keying on the slot back--not the end. The wing should be keying the end.

Does that help?
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I did read that your's was only one system in use and that they all have their disadvantages.

Your (2) comment was the basis of my point. In the Fed official's manual, using a standard slot formation, they have BJ taking the split and either L or LJ taking the slot. This is where your presentation differs. You have BJ taking the slot and L or LJ taking the split. This obviously allows the official to cover the player closest to him but also limits the amount of time the L or LJ has to read the tackle and still keep the receiver in view. It seems to me that the manual may have assigned coverages based on that. The manual also has BJ always taking the end so to have consistency there (no exceptions).

But a good article and good discussion. This will help me better understand all of this really working the wings at a varsity level. The last six years at R have made me focus on other things. I was too green for that one year before that on the wings and we only worked 4-man anyway.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: warrenkicker...now I get your point. We don't get the NF Official's Manual here so I wasn't aware of that inconsistency.

Let me offer this for your consideration: Most systems do not distinguish between receivers on or off the line since by and large it really shouldn't matter. Also, since the BJ is about twenty yards from the LOS, he may not be in an optimal position to determine which strong-side receiver (if any) is the end. Yes, he could look at the wing's punch-back signal, but for what real purpose. I understand the Fed's desire to have consistency (no exceptions) but isn't it just as consistent--and far easier to determine--for the BJ to take the inside guy whether he's on the line or off? Another reason why this key assignment is so widely accepted is this: Let's assume we're using the Fed's system. What if the split end is very close to the sideline and on his initial move off the line steps toward the sideline to avoid the defender who's playing head-up on him. What kind of position is the BJ in to determine whether or not he might have inadvertently stepped OOB? Not a very good one, in my opinion. But it's his call since the wing is probably concentrating on an inside eligible as his key.