The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Two HS questions

Hey all,

I coach a middle school team, and my brother is in high school, and I was watching one of his games this year and two situations happened and I wanted to know if what the officials did was correct. High School rules please...

1) I think this is what people call a BLARGE [sp?]. Three officials on the game, and there is a collision in the paint. One official called it a charge, the other a block. They gave both players a foul, called a double foul, and went with the arrow....is this correct?

2) Different game, a player on the other team got blood on his jersey. The officials let him take the jersey of a player, in the book, sitting on the bench. Is this allowed? What happens to the other player? What if they get the bloody jersey clean...can the original player use it again, and can the other player put his original jersey back on?

Thanks!
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hough7865
Hey all,

I coach a middle school team, and my brother is in high school, and I was watching one of his games this year and two situations happened and I wanted to know if what the officials did was correct. High School rules please...

1) I think this is what people call a BLARGE [sp?]. Three officials on the game, and there is a collision in the paint. One official called it a charge, the other a block. They gave both players a foul, called a double foul, and went with the arrow....is this correct?

2) Different game, a player on the other team got blood on his jersey. The officials let him take the jersey of a player, in the book, sitting on the bench. Is this allowed? What happens to the other player? What if they get the bloody jersey clean...can the original player use it again, and can the other player put his original jersey back on?

Thanks!
1) Yes, provided there was no team control.

2) Yes, it's allowed. Interesting question, I suppose it would be possible if it was early enough in the game and they washed the jersey really quick. According to the comment in 3.3.6, I think it would be allowed for the player giving up his jersey to wear the jersey that was bloody.

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Feb 28, 2007 at 12:29pm.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Hey all,

You go to the arrow only if their is no possession by a player/team. You go to the point of interruption if there was possession of the ball by a player/team.

Quote:

Thanks!
Yes this is allowed. If you cannot take care of the blood, a player is allowed to change jerseys with someone that has not played. I do not know about going back to the old jersey, I am not sure the rules cover this specifically, but the idea is to not keep a player completely out just because blood is on the jersey. It might not be their blood that is on their jersey.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

How can you have a double foul on a single incident? It seems it would be one call or the other. Wouldnt the closest Ump or the Ref make the final call?

If a player is going for a try which initiates the Charge / block call, then there must be team control.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Regarding #1. Was there a shot involved. If it was released before contact, then they would go with the arrow, unless the basket went in. If it wasn't released before the fouls, they would give the ball back to the offense.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 12:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
How can you have a double foul on a single incident? It seems it would be one call or the other. Wouldnt the closest Ump or the Ref make the final call?
Some say, philosophically, that it's not possible. However, the NFHS rules state that when two officials both give opposite signals, they're supposed to go with a double foul.
Quote:
If a player is going for a try which initiates the Charge / block call, then there must be team control.
If the shot is in the air before contact, there is no team control.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

[quote=Snaqwells]Some say, philosophically, that it's not possible. However, the NFHS rules state that when two officials both give opposite signals, they're supposed to go with a double foul.

Okay, I have missed that in my reading. Back to the books.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

#2...can of worms...players are not allowed to remove their shirts, even for blood, in the bench area. (I think there is a case book reference to this). They need to go to a locker room, or out of sight of the court to change, I believe.

And as tjones and JRut said, I believe the intent is to let them play. The number is changed in the scorebook without penalty.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
#2...can of worms...players are not allowed to remove their shirts, even for blood, in the bench area. (I think there is a case book reference to this). They need to go to a locker room, or out of sight of the court to change, I believe.

And as tjones and JRut said, I believe the intent is to let them play. The number is changed in the scorebook without penalty.
This is exactly what I was thinking. They need to leave the gym to change.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 03:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Some say, philosophically, that it's not possible. However, the NFHS rules state that when two officials both give opposite signals, they're supposed to go with a double foul.
Okay, I have missed that in my reading. Back to the books.
See 4.19.8 Situation C and you've got it.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks!
Um, that is a double foul which means you go to the point of interuption, not the arrow. The charge is a player control foul.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Point of interruption is the arrow if the contact happens after the unsuccessful shot is released.
It's my understanding that being a double foul makes this so it's no longer a PC foul. IOW, the basket would count if the shot was released prior to contact.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
The charge is a player control foul.
Not in this case, because the two fouls resulted in a double personal foul. But it does go POI and since there was no team control, go AP.

Edit: Snaq is correct. Read 4.19.8 Situation C.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Not in this case, because the two fouls resulted in a double personal foul. But it does go POI and since there was no team control, go AP.

Edit: Snaq is correct. Read 4.19.8 Situation C.
If there is a crash in the paint, while the ball is in possesion of the offense, then how is there no player control? I dont think becuase its a double foul doesnt mean that the PC is cancelled.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:32pm
M.A.S.H.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
If there is a crash in the paint, while the ball is in possesion of the offense, then how is there no player control? I dont think becuase its a double foul doesnt mean that the PC is cancelled.
Oh but it is, it's in the case book.

Here's how the ruling reads: (4.19.8 Situation C, page 28/29)

Even though air-borne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul becasue the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try and the goal is scored. Play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line.