The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I follow that. I was curious about Rule 8-1-5 regarding any player that is not the free thrower and does not occupy a lane must be behind the free throw line extended.... but I do not know if there is a penalty for failure to abide.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I follow that. I was curious about Rule 8-1-5 regarding any player that is not the free thrower and does not occupy a lane must be behind the free throw line extended.... but I do not know if there is a penalty for failure to abide.
My opinion is that that only applies to those who are on the court (inbounds).

Now if a player decided to go stand OOB under the basket during an opponent's FT, I would probably charge a T for unsporting conduct.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

gotcha....
I think TexasAggie has the simpliest answer. If we do that, all of the other what ifs go away. Believe me, I have a few others in my head...
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 05:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The instant A1's tushie hit the bench, she was getting a TF for unsportsmanlike behavior. End of story.
Exactly. And all you have to say is "unsportsmanlike conduct" too. No need for paralysis by analysis(commonly known as "death by overthinking")..
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 06:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Exactly. And all you have to say is "unsportsmanlike conduct" too. No need for paralysis by analysis(commonly known as "death by overthinking")..

JR:

You know me, why use ten words and one picture when I can you 10,000 words and 1,000 pictures.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 06:15pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
JR:

You know me, why use ten words and one picture when I can you 10,000 words and 1,000 pictures.

MTD, Sr.
Yabut, Mark.........

You're not doing that in this particular situation. You're just calling a common-sense technical foul without analyzing that call to death. Gotta give you the proper credit for that.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 08:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yabut, Mark.........

You're not doing that in this particular situation. You're just calling a common-sense technical foul without analyzing that call to death. Gotta give you the proper credit for that.

JR:

You should record this date as one of my shortest posts ever.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
Was watching a GV playoff game the other evening and came across an unusual situation. A1 commits a foul on B1 and gets called for it. This leaves A1 visibly unhappy with the call. It was a bonus situation, so as the players where lining up for the free throws, A1 simply walks off the floor and sits down at the bench. No subs or anything. The officials saw this and actually appeared to be giving her a little extra time to get back on the floor before the ball was administer to the free-throw shoot. As soon as the ball was given to the shooter, the trail immediately signaled the technical foul.
Now, I can’t seem to find in the rule book exactly what went down here (I’m a rookie so can’t find things quickly yet). But was the T for leaving the court, or unsporting moping or for the coach not having 5 players on the court or something else. Also, if she would have returned before the ball was administered to the shooter would all have been well? Thanks.
I would tell the coach: " Coach she just took herself off the court. Either you make the sub for her now or she will be charged a technical foul for actions."

That's just me though.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
I would tell the coach: " Coach she just took herself off the court. Either you make the sub for her now or she will be charged a technical foul for actions."

That's just me though.
So you would ignore unsporting conduct merely because the coach is subbing that player out of the game?

Or perhaps you have a different reason for charging this player with a technical foul. If so, let's hear it.

Would you still say the same thing to the coach if A2 was the player who left the court and sat on the bench?

Just trying to understand your thinking on this one.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

For Vinski,
If a team accidently plays with four there is no prescribed penalty in the NFHS books. If the team attempts to purposely play with only four when five are available that is not allowed.
This is off the original topic, but I have a question about this part... I was recently coaching a game where the other team only had 6 players - one had twisted an ankle and was layed up on the bench - a second player was poked in the eye, and had to leave the game - they had no sub for her - coach said he was going to play with 4... when I realized that he didn't have anyone else to play at that time, I called for the official to hold on, and I called one of my players off the floor...

by rule, was I not allowed to do this? official's never said anything to me, just let it happen (of course they knew that I was doing this in an attempt to be fair)...
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcginthy
by rule, was I not allowed to do this? official's never said anything to me, just let it happen (of course they knew that I was doing this in an attempt to be fair)...
Yes, by rule you were not allowed to do this.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcginthy
This is off the original topic, but I have a question about this part... I was recently coaching a game where the other team only had 6 players - one had twisted an ankle and was layed up on the bench - a second player was poked in the eye, and had to leave the game - they had no sub for her - coach said he was going to play with 4... when I realized that he didn't have anyone else to play at that time, I called for the official to hold on, and I called one of my players off the floor...

You did something which was very sporting, but not allowed by the rules. Last year a coach out here instructed two of his players to just stand at the division line, but remain on the court, in a similar situation when the opponent was down to only three.

NUMBER OF PLAYERS REQUIRED
3.1.1 SITUATION: After six players have been disqualified, Team A has only four who are eligible to continue in the game as players. In a gesture of fair play, the coach of Team B indicates a desire to withdraw a player so that each team will have four players on the court. RULING: This is not permissible. Team B must have five players participating as long as it has that number available. If no substitute is available, a team must continue with fewer than five players. When only one player remains to participate, that team shall forfeit the game unless the referee believes this team still has an opportunity to win the game.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

I would. Now if she someone else does it again, then we have a tech. It's a playoff game and that could be a situation where it could come down because of that tech. Was the act flagrant? No. Was it stupid? Yes. Would you want to be the one that's in the locker room with the evaluators explaning a technical foul because the player left court cause she was pissed? If you can prevent it then get her off and force that on the coach as his warning for the players conduct. Next time they do it you have a direct technical towards any from unsportsmanlike conduct. This is just my thought though.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
I would. Now if she someone else does it again, then we have a tech. It's a playoff game and that could be a situation where it could come down because of that tech. Was the act flagrant? No. Was it stupid? Yes. Would you want to be the one that's in the locker room with the evaluators explaning a technical foul because the player left court cause she was pissed? If you can prevent it then get her off and force that on the coach as his warning for the players conduct. Next time they do it you have a direct technical towards any from unsportsmanlike conduct. This is just my thought though.
Bring on the evaluator. I'd rather be known for taking care of bidness rather than letting stuff slide. If I'm working a playoff game, it's because I've been seen taking care of bidness all year long. Why would I change my MO because it's a playoff game? And what about the next unsporting action? Will you call that one? If so, that player then deserves an explanation about why she got the T and the first girl didn't. If not, how far down the toilet will the game get before you act? And what is this business about "force that on the coach as his warning for the players conduct"? Since when do we give coaches a warning for player behavior? What's your rules backing for that?
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Bring on the evaluator. I'd rather be known for taking care of bidness rather than letting stuff slide. If I'm working a playoff game, it's because I've been seen taking care of bidness all year long. Why would I change my MO because it's a playoff game? And what about the next unsporting action? Will you call that one? If so, that player then deserves an explanation about why she got the T and the first girl didn't. If not, how far down the toilet will the game get before you act? And what is this business about "force that on the coach as his warning for the players conduct"? Since when do we give coaches a warning for player behavior? What's your rules backing for that?
Sorry I don't mean warn the coach. I meant I would tell the coach what I could have done and next time it happens it's a technical foul. This is for a high school game. This kind of reminds of the situation in the ACC tournament about 2 years ago, where personal didn't get off the floor in time and a technical foul was issued. The official was correct in with the technical foul but he got suspended for the rest of the tournament for issuing it because it didn't fit the game. I know this is a different situation then the one stated but overall I'm trying to say if it fits issue it if it doesn't why get yourself into trouble.