The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2001, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I believe somewhere in the rule book it states that a team "Must" start a contest with 5 players, but can finish with as few as 1 as long as they have a chance of winning...
My question is: Must a team, with 5 eligible players, play all 5? Ie. Can a coach, that only has 5 (eligible) players on the team, pull one player and play with only 4 players?
jc
Old Tue Jan 23, 2001, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
I believe somewhere in the rule book it states that a team "Must" start a contest with 5 players, but can finish with as few as 1 as long as they have a chance of winning...
My question is: Must a team, with 5 eligible players, play all 5? Ie. Can a coach, that only has 5 (eligible) players on the team, pull one player and play with only 4 players?
jc
No. A team that has 5 players who are eligible and physically able to play, must play 5 players. 3-1-1. 3.1.1

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose then, the next question would be who determines eligibility? Could a coach declare his/her own player ineligible for one of his/her own reasons? Ie. unsportsmanlike conduct.....
cl
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 12:25am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
I suppose then, the next question would be who determines eligibility? Could a coach declare his/her own player ineligible for one of his/her own reasons? Ie. unsportsmanlike conduct.....
Most likely the coach would just say that the player was hurt.

Don't know why any coach would do this, of course, I've given up trying to figure out coaches!
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy What if...

(Going of the deep end of hypotheticals)

The coach makes a statement that the 5th player is "hurt". Do you allow him to later enter the game?

What if.... you observed the player roll an ankle during pre-game warm-ups?
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

As long as you did not declare his bell rung, he can play later.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Last year I had a game with only 5 players dressed and my assistant asked if we could pull a player and go with 4 if we needed to rest somebody. I looked at him like he was crazy and the ref politely informed him that we needed to keep 5 players on the floor. I explained later to him that we could run a delay game if the players got tired. In an extreme case, I could pull a player back to only defense if I needed to to keep him rested. Never did the latter but did a lot of the former - got the W, despite losing our center with 4 minutes to play and while holding a 5 point lead. Perhaps my asst was on to something though - we ended up outscoring them while down a man!

As for injuries, it's no different than a guy coming out and returning when there are 10 players on the bench. Coach's decision as to when player is able to return to action, unless you see a concussion, safety problem or blood.