The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Sorry I don't mean warn the coach. I meant I would tell the coach what I could have done and next time it happens it's a technical foul. This is for a high school game. This kind of reminds of the situation in the ACC tournament about 2 years ago, where personal didn't get off the floor in time and a technical foul was issued. The official was correct in with the technical foul but he got suspended for the rest of the tournament for issuing it because it didn't fit the game. I know this is a different situation then the one stated but overall I'm trying to say if it fits issue it if it doesn't why get yourself into trouble.
I guess we have different philosophies on this.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I guess we have different philosophies on this.
yes we do but your idea makes sense. That's why we are here, to learn from each other. So the idea you have I will try it in the off season if it happens and learn from it. It's all good.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry I don't mean warn the coach. I meant I would tell the coach what I could have done and next time it happens it's a technical foul. This is for a high school game.
Tommy,
You need to rethink this one. Do you always penalize unsporting behavior the 2nd time it happens? Do you allow each team to act up once before being penalized? Telling the coach what you could have done, but aren't doing is a really poor idea. He is going to wonder what else you are doing or have done during the game that isn't right.
I think that you should penalize unsporting conduct when it occurs.

Quote:
This kind of reminds of the situation in the ACC tournament about 2 years ago, where personal didn't get off the floor in time and a technical foul was issued. The official was correct in with the technical foul but he got suspended for the rest of the tournament for issuing it because it didn't fit the game. I know this is a different situation then the one stated but overall I'm trying to say if it fits issue it if it doesn't why get yourself into trouble.
The ACC situation was for water on the court following a time-out and a previous warning had been given. The ACC coordinator was roundly criticized for not backing his official. The official had been instructed to make that call and did his job, then they threw him under the bus. If I recall he went deep into the NCAA tournament that season. Elite 8, I believe.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Regarding that T in the ACC tournament on March 13th, 2004: both of us were right.

"It's hard to pinpoint exactly how N.C. State lost to Maryland 85-82 Saturday in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament, how the Pack lost a 19-point halftime lead.
Wolfpack coach Herb Sendek couldn't do it. The Wolfpack players couldn't do it.

Then there was the technical foul -- one of the most unusual in ACC Tournament history. With State leading 53-43 with 14:56 to play, the Pack was called for a delay-of-game technical just after a television timeout.
Maryland turned it into a four-point possession, with Chris McCray hitting two technical foul shots and Gilchrist then scoring on a reverse. In a game decided by three points, it became a critical call.
"It shocked me," State's Marcus Melvin said. "The technical gave [Maryland] another burst of energy and they used all of it to their advantage."
Maryland scored 10 straight points to tie the score as the Pack missed three shots.
The technical was called by lead official Larry Rose. Sendek said he was told a Wolfpack manager was wiping water off the court in front of the State bench as the Terps were about to inbound the ball.
The official explanation from the refereeing crew was "unauthorized personnel from the N.C. State bench coming onto the floor during a live-ball situation." Sendek said the bench had been warned earlier in the game. Sendek refused further comment on the call."
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The ACC situation was for water on the court following a time-out and a previous warning had been given. The ACC coordinator was roundly criticized for not backing his official. The official had been instructed to make that call and did his job, then they threw him under the bus. If I recall he went deep into the NCAA tournament that season. Elite 8, I believe.
It's interesting to note that the NFHS felt so strongly opposite to the ACC coordinator on this situation that it was added as a new rule this year.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Tommy,
You need to rethink this one. Do you always penalize unsporting behavior the 2nd time it happens? Do you allow each team to act up once before being penalized? Telling the coach what you could have done, but aren't doing is a really poor idea. He is going to wonder what else you are doing or have done during the game that isn't right.
I think that you should penalize unsporting conduct when it occurs.

I like your thought process and it has made me think. FYI in my college game if it happened I got something. High school I would think about it for a second. Thanks for the help you showed me a different side that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate it. Seriously....
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW this official was Larry Rose. The same official who did not call the intentional personal foul in the Texas/Texas A&M game.

What happened to making the tough call in the crunch, Larry? Have all those spineless people who espouse the mantra of "let the players decide the game" finally gotten to you? Please say it ain't so!
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I like your thought process and it has made me think. FYI in my college game if it happened I got something. High school I would think about it for a second. Thanks for the help you showed me a different side that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate it. Seriously....
You're young. You have years to hash these type of things out. You may go back and forth a few times before you settle on how you truly believe that these items should be handled. You have an excellent attitude. Just please continue to consider the thoughts of those who have been at this few more years and have gone through a great deal of this thinking process already. But by all means don't just take their word for it, wrestle with it mentally for yourself, and you will come out way ahead of the game.

If only I were 21 again and knew what I know now.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're young. You have years to hash these type of things out. You may go back and forth a few times before you settle on how you truly believe that these items should be handled. You have an excellent attitude. Just please continue to consider the thoughts of those who have been at this few more years and have gone through a great deal of this thinking process already. But by all means don't just take their word for it, wrestle with it mentally for yourself, and you will come out way ahead of the game.

If only I were 21 again and knew what I know now.
Sounds good! Way to look out for this little peson