The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I was doing an IM game about 2 or 3 years ago, guy gets trapped in the corner and he slips and his legs go out from underneath him. His kneecap ended up almost on the backside of his leg. I saw him a week later...he tore everything in his knee....ACL, MCL, PCL, and patella tendon.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Varsity boys a few weeks ago. A driving basket, B gets called for a block as both players fall to floor. B tries to break his fall and I watch as his forearm zigs, then zags. Talked to AD following week. Broken in 3 places with 4 pins and multiple screws. Nastiest looking thing I have seen.

Second was when coaching. Player banged knees with D while scrimaging and dislocated kneecap. That was tough to look at. Also - was at end of practice and we were supposed to have parent conferences in the gym that night. We made them hold off on bringing in the tables/chairs etc until after the paramedics had taken her away. YUK!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

At times this year, I felt like offering a pregame instruction that anyone who breathes on another player would be called for a foul.

First week of January, a BJV player saves a ball at the scorers table and glances off it. He falls to the floor as the opposing team steals the save and goes the other way. He can't get up so as T, I stand with him and notice that he has what looks to be a deep cut below his knee -- but no blood. The other team shoots, misses and the ball starts coming our way. I blow my whistle and now looking more closely, realize it's a compound fracture. The trainer rushes him to ER.

Ten days later, a loose ball has two BV players diving...one comes up screaming and we find out later, he's broken his elbow.

First week of February, the leading scorer in the area goes up to block a shot and comes down on a much smaller kid under the basket. There's just a few minutes left in a third quarter blowout.

He screams, falls toward me out of bounds under the basket. I grab him to keep him from falling face first into me but his right leg is broken in two places. 65 minutes for EMS.

As I said, I'm rethinking my pregame.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys. I've now officially lost my appetite for lunch.

The worst I've seen (and heard) is an achilles tear as well. Player was driving the lane, stepped on another foot, and we heard the "pop". The worst part was when his teammates picked him to take him off the floor, his foot just sort of dangled there. I don't believe I had dinner after that game either...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Kind of makes the girl who asked me for an "injury timeout" because she broke a nail seem rather silly when you put it in perspective.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I've seen several - one kid that was playing for me when I coached was knocked to the ground face first - there was a kid that fell over top of him (other team). On tape you can see the kid look at my player under him and WHAM! he just dropped his whole (large) body on his head and completely smashed his front teeth. There was a fine white powder around his lips from what was his teeth!

In high school a teammate in practice went up for a layup and was fouled and came down on his ankle. His foot ended up at a 90 degree angle with a "ball" where his foot was. It was completely gross.

Of course I didn't see this one - but it was pretty devistating this past April when I completely ruptured my achilles tendon umpiring a college softball game! It rolled up in my calf and of course the foot just laying there doing nothing. (Refraining from an exwife story here!)

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I was coaching, and one of my players went to block out the defender, the defender side stepped her and gave her a little tug, and my player went rolling into her teammate. The teammates knee hyperextended well beyond the "oh that's a hyperextended knee" reaction to the "oh my gawd, it's not supposed to bend like that" reaction. Amazingly, no tears, just sprained.

I've witnessed two players go head first into a brick wall - mine walked away and did not play the rest of the weekend, the other was carted off in an ambulance (later found out she was ok). The noise that makes is just scarry.

Also walked into a gym, where everyone was just standing around. Puzzled, I look around and saw a girl laying on the court with her hip dislocated.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I saw a college player go up to block a shot and hit his head on the backboard. It knocked him out and he fell to the floor limp. It was scary for the fans. But he was O.K. didn't play the rest of the game.

Also at a game I was refereeing, the cheerleaders were in the cornor practicing and I looked at them and thought, " That is just an accident waiting to happen" I turned away when they tossed the girl into the air....they didn't catch her...It was terrible, but again she was o.k.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Reading thru the other posts kept reminding me of several injuries I've witnessed. Deciding which is worst would be tough but I know my injury was the most painful to me.

1. The time the cheerleader flyer (the one they throw) did not get caught and I saw her head bounce off the floor during a timeout.

2. The time I was in the lead and had a 1 on 1 post matchup. A1 ducked left as B! brought his hand up to bat the ball away. He stuck his thumb in the corner of A1's eye socket up to the first knuckle. That one made my eyes hurt and still does.

3. Early November 2005, I was coaching my son's team and we were running a play. Someone's little brother was on the sideline and let a ball roll out onto the court. I jumped over it, lost my balance and went into the brick wall which was pretty close to the baseline. I stuck my hands up to catch myself and ended up breaking the radial head in both elbows. I'm still dealing with that one although it only caused me to miss 1 assignment in the 2 years.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I havent seen nothing bad other than a bloody nose.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I had a teammate once who dislocated his shoulder about every other game his senior year. It was a football injury that started it all. Nothing compares, though, to the stuff I've read here. Glad I'm done with lunch.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Just thought of a couple that happened to a buddy of mine in South Carolina. He was actually a ref that scheduled my officials for my HS team I coached. He actually had a guy loose a finger on a dunk! Men's league and the idiot kept his wedding ring on which got stuck on the rim and according to my friend - stayed up on the rim after the dunk.

Same year - a guy came off the court from shooting FT's. Gave everyone on the bench high 5's. Sat down on the bench, put a towel on his head and DIED! Not gross, but certainly very traumatic!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I've seen mucho blood from a head injury, a ring finger momentarily caught in the net, and a dislocated ankle.....but, I certainly can not get into a battle of "can you top this" with you guys!

Eye sockets? Feet pointed in the wrong direction? Missing teeth? Severed arteries? Dislocated knees?

I gotta call my assignor and get more game.......!

But seriously, I hope I never witness anything that would make me want to add to this list.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Fortunately the worst I've seen was a girls JV team in their first game ever at a new High School. First time down the court the point guard hits her head into the back of another girl's head. Broken nose and blood spatter everywhere. This girl was their expected best player and was done for the season.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
This was football but happened to me. 7th grade about 5.5 years ago I got my thumb caught in a facemask and both went to the ground. When I was able to pull it out my thumb just flopped back behind onto the top of my hand. For some reason I was in no real pain just some normal pain but after a trip to the Emergency room I found out I had a break and cut the main tendon that runs from the wrist into the thumb in half along with the other tendons. 3 months after surgry and hours of physical therapy, yes they happen to have hand therapists my thumb was strong as heck but I still could not move it. They finnaly found out after sticking the needle that had some kind of mic in it up and done my arm and hand like 25-30 times that the nerves were not shooting right, well after one more surgry and lots more PT I got back full use of my thumb. O yeah did I mention I am one of the only people in the world with a perfectly straight thumb, no more natural curve because of how they had to set things in the first surgury.