The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 09:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dislocated Elbow

Girls varsity game in a small, very rural town. Player falls and dislocates her elbow. She's lying in the middle of the lane, crying out in pain. Someone called 911, but, being a rural town, it took the ambulance about 15 minutes to get to the school. For the whole 15 minutes, the girls just kept screaming. No one, correctly, tried to move her. We sent both teams to their benches and waited. After the paramedics came, it took them about 15 more minutes to strap her into a gurney, with her screaming the entire time. After the ambulance left, we allowed the teams to warm up for a few minutes before restarting the game. By the way, my partner went into the lobby and got a hot dog from the concession stand while we waited.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Not an injury, but an ilness

GF game a few years ago. Coach informs me that one girl had a medical problem and sometimes passes out. I was like "you're kidding, right?". He said no, this is the last year she can play and sometimes her heart stops and she just passes out. If it happens, just stop play, and she will come around in a few minutes.

Sure enough, about half way through the 3rd qtr, she just drops like she's dead. We stop play, the trainers come around and do their thing, and about 5 minutes later she's back up. Scariest thing I ever saw on the court.

She didn't come back in, of course.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Girls Jr. High basketball, believe it or not. B girl goes after A dribbler and she smacks heads with A. B girl cuts her head open, blood on the floor, other little darlins are freaking out because of the blood. So she was taken to the hospital and got both stitches and the personal foul.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

In 1973 I saw a kid pitching in a HS baseball game throw a breaking ball and his forearm just snapped, his right arm dangling for a couple seconds that seemed to last just about forever. I still get little sick thinking about it 34 years later.

I didn't see this next one but it made the local news...a year or two earlier in another HS baseball game as a kid slid into 3rd the 3rd baseman applied the tag inadvertantly (I hope) into the slider's the throat, crushing his larynx. A former Army medic in Vietnam was at the game and he rushed out and did a tracheotomy on the kid right there at 3rd base saving the kid's life. Memory tells me the medic was the slider's father but I'm not sure about that.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Talking baseball, I do some student training at school and are school had a Varsity track meet and a JV baseball game so I was to " watch" the baseball game while the trainer was down at the track meet. A placer comes in for a play at the plate, the catcher has the plate blocked and is going to apply the tag when the kid slides into him. One of the bones in his leg goes sticking out and blood everywhere. I call the Trainer up ASAP ( or STAT if u like medicial terms) and tried to cover the open wound while pushing on the pressure point in the upper leg right to the side of the crotch. The ambulance came soon took him away and I never heard what happened.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

A few years ago in a JV game I worked a kid got tripped up while going in for a layup and came down awkward and braced himself with his right arm. He dislocated his elbow and it was bent 45 degrees the wrong way. By far the nastiest thing I have seen in any sport.