View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

At times this year, I felt like offering a pregame instruction that anyone who breathes on another player would be called for a foul.

First week of January, a BJV player saves a ball at the scorers table and glances off it. He falls to the floor as the opposing team steals the save and goes the other way. He can't get up so as T, I stand with him and notice that he has what looks to be a deep cut below his knee -- but no blood. The other team shoots, misses and the ball starts coming our way. I blow my whistle and now looking more closely, realize it's a compound fracture. The trainer rushes him to ER.

Ten days later, a loose ball has two BV players diving...one comes up screaming and we find out later, he's broken his elbow.

First week of February, the leading scorer in the area goes up to block a shot and comes down on a much smaller kid under the basket. There's just a few minutes left in a third quarter blowout.

He screams, falls toward me out of bounds under the basket. I grab him to keep him from falling face first into me but his right leg is broken in two places. 65 minutes for EMS.

As I said, I'm rethinking my pregame.