The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

First, go to your boss/adminstrator/league officials and tell them thanks for backing you up. Too seldom at that level does someone have the smarts and the balls to back up an official trying to do the right thing.
If there is any question about the coach from any of those mentioned above, get them to co one game with you and recommend a better solution than the one you've been forced to use.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruberted
I mean I'm not looking for a T but I think he looks for it. He constantly complains about me not making a call but he yells "TRAVEL" before I can even blow the whistle.
One of the best ways I have found to deal with this is to tell a coach that likes to do this that as long as he's going to call travelling, I'm not. That usually shuts them up pretty quick.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

I would not say anything more than the normal coach greeting pleasantries. However, I would make sure your boss had a seat where he could clearly see the coach. I imagine they have already discussed if this guy will continue to be allowed in the gym if his actions continue.

You have to make sure you work hard and call your A game to help curb some of his gripes. If you can, don't give him something to legitimatly complain about.

For the purity of the game, you hafta make sure those kids know that their coaches actions are not acceptable. The way you show them is by T'ing him for unacceptable behavior. Calm, cool and collected T's are great for the game.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Well here's an update from me from last Thursday's game.

My boss sat on the bench with the coach and had a chat with him.

My boss told me the summary of what they talked about.

He says I don't like him at all and that I am taking it out on the kids and that I don't call a fair game.

My boss responds with well you take things too seriously and you need to calm down because we don't even keep standings.

He had nothing else to say from what my boss said so who knows with this guy.

That Thursday league is done and he coached by himself that team but when he gets together with his other buddy (another constant complainer) they love to gang up on us.

It's just sad you are suppose to a be a role model for these kids and show them that your suppose to have fun.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

what if???

As refs, do you allow for any kind of disagreement with the refs call at all?? I'll be honest, sometimes I don't like the call and as a layman would say, eventually it evens out with both teams. But sometimes a ref does make a bad judegment, of course in my opinion. done without malice, can a coach argue the call, or do you as refs just won't allow a coach to argue. Or is it the coaches who argue EVERYTHING that get the refs wrath. This question isn't a general lump refs together question but a each one who repsonds gives their opinion about that.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81artmonk
As refs, do you allow for any kind of disagreement with the refs call at all?? I'll be honest, sometimes I don't like the call and as a layman would say, eventually it evens out with both teams. But sometimes a ref does make a bad judegment, of course in my opinion. done without malice, can a coach argue the call, or do you as refs just won't allow a coach to argue. Or is it the coaches who argue EVERYTHING that get the refs wrath. This question isn't a general lump refs together question but a each one who repsonds gives their opinion about that.
The rules do not allow you to argue any call. You can ask a question, but that's it. If you do argue a call, then it simply depends on the tolerance level of each different official as to whether you'll get a "T" or not. Iow, if you do get nailed, there's no use whining about it. You're not supposed to be arguing with the officials ever, by rule.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Playoffs must be like the full-moon......They make everyone go insane!!
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 05:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If it's a question in a polite manner, I'll answer it if I have a chance. If it's an expression of disagreement, I'll ignore it occasionally.
If it's constant officiating from the coaching box or bench, I'll ask him politely to stop. I'll ask once.
I don't expect you to agree with every call; but I do expect you not to tell me loudly every time you disagree.