The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Another Crazy Coach

This happened yesterday but let me give you some background before I go on what happened.

Every week with this coach he constantly complains calls the fouls before we even get a chance to blow the whistle. Constantly complains that his team is getting hacked every play or the other team is always doing some kind of violation.

So about 3 weeks ago I finally had enough and gave him a technical foul. Then following that every week (his team plays every Tuesday) he has been given a technical foul for his antics of showing us up. I gave him a warning that first time and told him to calm down. But after that he continue to complain about calls and I had enough and that's when I T'd him up.

So yesterday his team was dribbling down the court and the other team's player rant into his player. Before my partner had a chance to call the foul he was already screaming that it was a foul. He did call the foul but I responded with "Coach calm down, next time you will get a technical"

He responded in a very cocky voice "Yea, Yea go ahead"

I then followed up with a technical foul and this is where it gets even more in depth. His wife runs from the stands and goes immediately to my boss telling him that I have been given him a T every week. My boss responded with is he yelling at the refs. She replies with you know how he gets fired up. My boss says there's your answer.

I have been reffing 7 or 8 years now basketball and I haven't given out this many technicals in one season. He has been the only coach this year that has got a technical from me and yet he still complains. I have given out a T to an 8th grader who slammed the ball down and yell this is bullsh*t.

He is a coach for two teams. On Tuesday's its 5th and 6th grade division and on Thursday's its 7th and 8th grade.

Anyway, I decided I didn't want to deal with the headache and didn't ref the second half because I was mildly ticked off as well because it gets annoying.

On top of that we don't even keep standings in this league and there are no playoffs. It's for the kids and he is making himself a bad example for his players.

I would like some suggestions on what to do with this coach and how to handle this situation. I am sick of his antics and I don't think technical fouls are enough.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the responses that I get because I am still a young guy (20 years old) and I think this experience will help me later in life.

Thanks,

Ted
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Get in. Get done. GEt out. Or, get rid of the coach earlier in the game. No need for you to sit out the second half because of him.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Call the 2nd T and send him home (and do it early). After he misses most of several games, he'll either straighten out or the league will do something about him. Don't continute to put up with it.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 06:42pm
In Memoriam

Ted, you have 2 choices. Toss him or give up the league. It's just not worth it to put up with that, especially with youth basketball.

My vote is for tossing him. Do not give him a warning next time he gets on you. Just call the "T". And if he says one word, toss him with a second "T". If his wife comes out of the stands, tell game management that you want her out of the gym too.

If that league doesn't want to back you up, sayonara. There are other leagues that will.

Good luck.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 07:56pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Gruberted - I hear ya!

My worst problems are the Rec coaches. Luckily for me, our league officials support the refs.

One coach was so bad, that I reported him to the league the last game of the season and they kicked the team out of the league (for the playoffs) and wouldn't let any of the players compete in All-Stars (I felt bad about that).

But, this coach pushed all the wrong buttons and earned his punishment.

Gotta draw the line!
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

I had a freshman coach that was pretty fired up most of the time. Between his school and the others that I worked I would see him about 4-6 times a year.

The first year I had just moved to the area and he was pretty tough on me and my partner(s). About half way through the year I started T-ing him up. The next year I T-ed him every game. The 3rd year, first game I walk up to him smiling and ask him if he wanted now or later. At first it took him by surprise, he looked confused then smiled and he said later and sure enough T-ed him up. And he knew it was coming.

For me it was my way of saying that I'm here to work hard you and your kids but now you know what my limits are and I will T you.

I would agree with posters above to T him twice and let him know your limits.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruberted
So yesterday his team was dribbling down the court and the other team's player rant into his player. Before my partner had a chance to call the foul he was already screaming that it was a foul. He did call the foul but I responded with "Coach calm down, next time you will get a technical"
If a coach rants, we T 'em. If a player rants, we call a persoal foul?

Mregor

Last edited by Mregor; Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 08:37pm.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Good for you

My compliments to you for several reasons:

1. At 20 years old, you have a good sense of sportsmanship, this will serve you well in this business, and yes, later in life.

2. You came to this site looking for answers. You will get the right answers here.

3. You stood up for what you know to be in the best interests of the game and the participants.

When I was your age (34 years ago), sportsmanship prevailed. It doesn't anymore and will not again until officials like you make the right calls like you did. I assume that this coach is your senior but that doesn't necessarily mean that he knows better.

Keep up the good work, Ted.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Give him the 2nd T and get him out of there. The way your boss handled his wife, I say he'll have your back if/when you eject him.

Some leagues have started using a fine system. One league I called in this year had a "fine" of a one game suspension for a player that got a T. Another T and they were gone for the year. I believe it was the same for the coaches, but I don't remember for sure. Youth football leagues around here fines teams $250 if a coach or parent of a player gets ejected by an official.

Last edited by AFHusker; Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 10:49pm.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Benefits of the 2nd T.

1. You won't have to listen to him anymore.
2. His wife will go ballistic so you can have her ejected.
3. They both can drive home early together.
4. Your boss can watch the game in peace.
5. You will likely witness the first standing O in your career. [And maybe the only one.]
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all for your support and responses.

Now this guy has the first game tomorrow.

Should I say anything to him before the game or should I just leave it alone and let him rant again before I probably will T him up?

I mean I'm not looking for a T but I think he looks for it. He constantly complains about me not making a call but he yells "TRAVEL" before I can even blow the whistle.

And this league is a all in house league so all the players our from my town.

Any tips from tomorrow night would be great.

Somebody suggested I should stop reffing all together these guys games but I don't want to I need the exercise and enjoy doing it.

Thanks Again,

Ted
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 02:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruberted
Should I say anything to him before the game or should I just leave it alone and let him rant again before I probably will T him up?
Definitely do not say anything before he does something. That might give him the idea that you were gunning for him. Just react to what the coach does. The less that you say anytime around coaches, the better.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Since he is so adept at officiating - perhaps you should suggest that he take a test to see how much he really knows, and then purchase a whistle and uniform and he can get on court and officiate as much as he wants.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

I agree with everyone else. Give him the boot. If he's that bad he needs to be run so that the league has to deal with him. I don't work them anymore, but in a rec league, I wouldn't even bother with a warning. Just T the guy up, if he does anything else, take care of him again and have a nice, quiet game after that. Don't let an idiot coach run you off the floor. You are in charge, not him.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Definitely do not say anything before he does something. That might give him the idea that you were gunning for him. Just react to what the coach does. The less that you say anytime around coaches, the better.
I agree totally. Great post for any young official.

Thanks
David