The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

I guess it was my turn to deal with some really really stupid people. Here is the story, "12-U A State Championship". There is 1 team that has consistently given the TD, UIC, and game umpires problems all day long(100+ Temperature).

We were assigned the Championship Game along with another Umpire whom we have called lots of games with. I have the plate, the wife is at 1st, with our friend playing "Rabbit" at 3rd. I added in my pregame, "Coaches, we have a experienced crew working this game....If you have any questions or concerns we will be more than happy to discuss them as long as you approach us in a respectfull sportsmanlike manner."

Before the game began I warned the eventual winning team about a coach talking on a cell phone in the dugout. The game starts and the difficult coach is all over us for "Illegal Pitches" and a dropped 3rd strike in which the 1st baseperson used the orange base to receive the ball from foul terratory. My partners dealt with the illegal pitch issues and I tried to explain the orange base issues. He very curtly said "Your Wrong!!!!".

As the game goes on, the difficult team is now losing 6-0 going into the 3rd inning. The fans are getting more and more obnoxious and I ask for the UIC and TD to position themselves directly behind me.....I sense that things could get ugly real quick.

I am then told that a spectator is taking pictures on a digital camera down the 3rd base line. I said "No Problem as long as he stays out of the dugout and away from the coaches."....Nope didn't happen. He was taking pictures of the supposedly "Illegal Pitcher" and showing them to the coaches. The 3rd base umpire overheard a conversation between the 2 talking about this.

I approached the coaches and asked if they were looking at pictures they both said no, and I said that I would take him at his word but this was their warning for electronic communication.

The pitcher threw a pitch and this coach blows up and starts screaming......Don't really know what he said, didn't matter....He is now ejected. The fans get really stupid. Another pitch, low I called ball and the pichers dad whom I had listened to all day screams "Jesus Christ!!!!". He is now gone.

I notice my wife walking quickly from 1st base watching a couple fans. The dad then screams "F... You" and proceeds to give me the bird. I found out afterward that the wife was going to get several fans for "Obscene Jestures".

I look at the UIC and TD and ask "Are we done?" I get 2 affirmitive responses, I kill the game, declare a forfeit and we walk off the field and lock ourselves in the lockerroom.

What a game....I hate it when things get so out of control.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Wink welcome to.....

Tournament time, the idiots crawl out like cockroaches in the dark of nite.....
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

The temperature is irrelevant as everyone must deal with it, not just the teams or the umpires.

I must say though, that the fans are not your concern and should be left to the TD, UIC and the coaches. That doesn't mean you don't have control as you can suspend the game whenever you see fit. If a fan is interacting with the coaches, than they should be treated as a coach which means they are confined to the dugout areas without electronical equipment. Same goes for "dad". He is burying himself, let him go. Just stand there, smiling, and refuse to continue the game until the coaches take care of the situation. If they won't, have the TD & UIC chase them. It there is a clock involved, don't stop it unless it benefits the other team. An umpire should not let outside concerns affect their concentration on the field of play, excluding, of course, something which would be hazardous to the participants. But your concern should be them, not the parents or the fans.

OTOH, I think you should give the TD & UIC credit for allowing the game to be terminated. There are a lot of people out there which wouldn't have had the courage to end a tournament in that manner and would have tried to force a finish.

JMHO,
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
[B
OTOH, I think you should give the TD & UIC credit for allowing the game to be terminated. There are a lot of people out there which wouldn't have had the courage to end a tournament in that manner and would have tried to force a finish.

JMHO,
[/B]
Amen.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I guess alleluia is next.

And guess who is hurt the most? Sad, isn't it?
Even the winning team had less to rejoice over.

Can a TD do anything to reduce this stuff? Can we all do anything to make it better or should all the kids go back to sandlot?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

The true fix to this situation is to play with the 2 teams only and 2 coaches.

BAN THE PARENTS AND SPECTATORS

If this can be done, then you will get the best tournament game(s) ever.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

That doesn't mean you don't have control as you can suspend the game whenever you see fit. If a fan is interacting with the coaches, than they should be treated as a coach which means they are confined to the dugout areas without electronical equipment. Same goes for "dad". He is burying himself, let him go. Just stand there, smiling, and refuse to continue the game until the coaches take care of the situation. If they won't, have the TD & UIC chase them. It there is a clock involved, don't stop it unless it benefits the other team.

Thanks for your advice. I have said that there is something I can learn from this mess. Maybe that is what it is....Suspending play until the coaches, TD or UIC take action.

You are correct that the fans SHOULD NOT be my concern. However, many times that is simply not the case. This was one of them. The TD and UIC, while supportive wanted us to dictate what action would be needed.

As for some fans burying themselves? Yup they did...The TD and UIC both were taking notes of comments and actions.

Did this turmoil affect our game, by all neutral accounts NO. The 3 of us have worked together quite abit and are really comfortable with each other. Between the lines everything was picture perfect text-book 3 person mechanics.

I do applaud the TD and UIC for having the guts to declare a forfeit and then backing up the umpires with their post game reports. I received a call on Sunday from the State Commish, requesting that I send copies of my game report to several different parties so ASA can take appropriate action.

We've both been in some tough situations before, but this one does take the cake. We all learned something that in the end will make us even better umpires.

Thanks again.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up And they say...

the game is for the kids. And it should be. Too bad there are so many idiots out there to confound the issues.

Job well done. You obvioulsy maintained your composure and kept your integrity when the coach and fans did not.

In the face of extreme adversity, I'm certain you were glad the TD and UIC were present and that they respectfully supported you. A very solid, level headed team. Excellent job and kudos to all 5 officials.

I'm am deeply sorry for the players (and parents) that are stuck with this type of leadership.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Unhappy

"leadership" ?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
the fans are not your concern and should be left to the TD, UIC and the coaches.
You are correct, Mike, but around here some of the invitational tournaments give the umpires an additional tool.

They state specifically in the tournament rules that the coaches are responsbile for the behavior of their fans. This means that the umpires can warn the coach to control the fans under penalty of the coach being ejected.

I've used this a few times.

After issuing this warning a few weeks ago the coach told me a couple of innings later he had warned his fans to control themselves or the umpire would eject him. He said his fans cheered! Sometimes, maybe the warning backfires!

(Of course, it sounds like in the Keller's case, the coach was setting the tone for the fans, so it would not have helped much.)
Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
"leadership" ?
Yes. Lack thereof.

My use of the word was sarcasm.