The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Had a subvarsity game today. The same coach came up with both of these:

There was a fairly long pass. It probably wasn't catchable, but there was contact by the defender. The HL called DPI. The coach yelled "it wasn't catchable." We tell him that is only a college/NFL rule. His response was "I used to be an official, and I know the rule." Uhh...ok.

Later in the game, a member of his team (they were on defense) grapped and twisted the runner's face mask. A personal foul FM was called. He yelled "how can it be a 15 yarder? It was totally unintentional." I want to hear him say the same thing if they take the player off in a ambulance with a broken neck.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
yeah real winner there. Kind of like the coach I had the other night. Was ranting about a call and enforcement and when you tried to say anything to him he wouldn't shut up for you to be able to say anything.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 08:11am
Ref Ump Welsch

Keywords: He USED to be an official. Seems he MAY have had a LACK of true rules knowledge therefore became an ex-official. Hmmm?
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
yeah real winner there. Kind of like the coach I had the other night. Was ranting about a call and enforcement and when you tried to say anything to him he wouldn't shut up for you to be able to say anything.
2 weeks ago, varsity game. Called clipping on B's 4 yd line. D-cord (they were on O) begins to yell, moves out to the numbers. "Coach, get back to your box". He continues while I am signaling the penalty. I stop in the middle, and get hm for USC. He finally relented, and retreated. THEn the head coach begins. Walks out past numbers and begins barking at me. "I tell hm to get back off the field. Your bench has 1 USC already". He does not. My third flag then goes up USC. I begin to walk back the 45 yds to begin signaling again. The HC walks back to his box, then turns and charges back out towrads the number yelling. I throw my HAT for the USC + ejection. THen he is restrained and finally leaves. 60 yds later, he took his team out of any type of scoring oppurtunity.

You would think that he woudl have been smart enough to stop after the 1st or even 2nd one. Crazy thing: he was complaining about a call that went against him the last time he was on DEFENSE.......................... Go figure!
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Hey sm_bbcoach, where was this at? For some reason I think we are both in Indiana. I may be wrong. Just wondering. I hope in all of this that you didn't get your hat dirty.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Axe Man
Hey sm_bbcoach, where was this at? For some reason I think we are both in Indiana. I may be wrong. Just wondering. I hope in all of this that you didn't get your hat dirty.
This happened in "the Region". NW Indiana. No , hat is still clean. Dropped in on patch of grass, not dirt.

e-mail me for more in depth details of where and who it was. I am not sure I want the names out on the web.

[email protected].

Where are you from?
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
2 weeks ago, varsity game. Called clipping on B's 4 yd line. D-cord (they were on O) begins to yell, moves out to the numbers. "Coach, get back to your box". He continues while I am signaling the penalty. I stop in the middle, and get hm for USC. He finally relented, and retreated. THEn the head coach begins. Walks out past numbers and begins barking at me. "I tell hm to get back off the field. Your bench has 1 USC already". He does not. My third flag then goes up USC. I begin to walk back the 45 yds to begin signaling again. The HC walks back to his box, then turns and charges back out towrads the number yelling. I throw my HAT for the USC + ejection. THen he is restrained and finally leaves. 60 yds later, he took his team out of any type of scoring oppurtunity.

You would think that he woudl have been smart enough to stop after the 1st or even 2nd one. Crazy thing: he was complaining about a call that went against him the last time he was on DEFENSE.......................... Go figure!
Help me out. There was already one bench USC when you threw the second USC?

Bench USCs are on the head coach, so, the second USC sends the head coach to the bus.

Bench USCs are charged to the head coach.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 02:26pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Ed,

You might want to read the posting again. First flag was for the clip, 2nd flag for the USC on the bench (D-cord opening his mouth), and the 3rd flag (hat) for USC on the Head Coach. White hat in the sitch warned the coach after the 2nd flag and before he tossed his hat on him. That's how I read it.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I believe Uusportsmanlike conduct is charged to the offender. Not all bench USC belong to the coach. Look at casebook 9.8.3.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
arkansas ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by North Pole Alaska Ref
I believe Uusportsmanlike conduct is charged to the offender. Not all bench USC belong to the coach. Look at casebook 9.8.3.
This past week one of the crews in our association flagged an assistant for USC. The HC was flagged later for an USC and ejected. Our state rules interpreter determined that the HC was ejected in error as the 1st USC was upon the asst and not on the HC.

Lesson to be learned - If you flag an assistant coach for a USC, make sure the HC knows his asst has been flagged. Also ensure that the entire crew knows who has been flagged and for what. This prevents confusion and a possible misapplication.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's terrible. That coach I threw out because his assistant had a big mouth was a mistake, not really.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches is GONE.

Quote:
there was discussion about this from realier posts. The correct ruling (unless adopted in another way by YOUR state association) is that EACH USC is given to that person.
Under 9-8-1 Pen. it’s only a second unsportsmanlike conduct foul against a single coach that results in that coaches’ disqualification. Of course, you can also disqualify a coach or player for a single such foul if it is “flagrant,” so you’re covered there. Not all coaching staff unsportsmanlike conduct fouls are charged against the head coach in determining whether he is to be disqualified.

I feel that they SHOULD be charged to the head coach. Might make the assts (who are usually the problem), shut up!.

Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Well then assitant coaches should wear numbers so I can remember which one I flagged.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Make it like baseball - assistant coaches are invisible. If they disrupt things, bye bye.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

That coach must have had a lobotomy at sometime in the past. That would disqualify him as an official and make him eligible for coach of the year nomination.

Also, the rule is not intentional face mask it is incidental face mask.