The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

it is a try

in my game it is a try.....if it hits the rim or the board. The fed doesn't want us reading minds, that is why they put the rule in that says if the ball is thrown from outside the three point line it is 3 pts. Previous to this you could make it 2 pts if you didn't think it was a try. Don't go looking for trouble, it will find us on its own LOL
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
in my game it is a try.....if it hits the rim or the board. The fed doesn't want us reading minds, that is why they put the rule in that says if the ball is thrown from outside the three point line it is 3 pts. Previous to this you could make it 2 pts if you didn't think it was a try. Don't go looking for trouble, it will find us on its own LOL
Your logic is faulty. The fed doesn't want us reading minds, yet you have, in essence, read the Fed mind by indicating they meant something they did not write.

Not that this sitch will come up very often, but I am just saying.

edited for spelling
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 04:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Your logic is faulty. The fed doesn't want us reading minds, yet you have, in essence, read the Fed mind by indicating they meant something they did not write.

edited for spelling
So, in my situation, are you going to call this kid for a violation?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
So, in my situation, are you going to call this kid for a violation?
Y e s
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

edited for spelling
How so, a kid appears to throw a pass from half court toward the goal where his teammate is running toward the basket on a backdoor cut, and the "pass" goes through the hoop it is 3 pts. A few years ago, you could rule this a two point basket because it wasn't a try, and in order to score 3 pts you had to attempt a try. With that logic, it isn't a reach to say if it hits the apparatus, that it is a try, because if it goes through we are awarding 3 pts.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How so,...pts.
The rule relieves you of judgement when a live ball that is not a try goes through the basket. It doesn't instruct you on what to do when it does not go through the basket. You have decided that fed meant it to apply when it does not go through the basket. Yet fed doesn't say that. You posted that fed doesn't want us to read minds. Yet, in essence, that is what you have done. You have read fed mind to include that was not included or written.

I didn't criticize your interpretation, I only commented that your logic was faulty.

edit in - you caught me Mark. mines to mind and critize to criticize (you didn't mention that one Mark)

Last edited by SamIAm; Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 02:15pm.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

The FED has ruled that a ball that goes in from beyond the arc is always scored as 3 points. However, they have NEVER said that it was a try. A try is clearly defined as an attempt to throw the ball in the basket....judgement is still required on that point.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
You posted that fed doesn't want us to read mines. You have read fed mines...

If a HS player has a good "mine", does that make him a good "prospect or" not?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule relieves you of judgement when a live ball that is not a try goes through the basket. It doesn't instruct you on what to do when it does not go through the basket. You have decided that fed meant it to apply when it does not go through the basket. Yet fed doesn't say that. You posted that fed doesn't want us to read mines. Yet, in essence, that is what you have done. You have read fed mines to include that was not included or written.

I didn't critize your interpretation, I only commented that your logic was faulty.
no my logic is that since you used to have to judge whether it was a try or not to score three points, and they said score it all the time, then anything thrown at your own basket is a try.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
no my logic is that since you used to have to judge whether it was a try or not to score three points, and they said score it all the time, then anything thrown at your own basket is a try.
You might want to put some limitations on that, seems most passes into the paint would qualify. That would make for some very poor shooting percentages, (edit in later) and lots of opportunities to go get the ball and dribble again.

Last edited by SamIAm; Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 02:20pm.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I saw a play this past year. Team A calls a set play, one they have run previously in the game. It appears A1 was tossing an alley oop pass to A2 only the "pass" hit the rim. A2 backed off and did not touch the ball during his initial jump. When A2 gave A1 a dirty look for the bad "pass", A1 winked at A2. I find out later from the coach that A1 was trying to make the shot, rather than passing to A2. The motion of A1 was similar in this play to the previous plays, only this time A1 tried to make the basket instead of pass. It wasn't a bad pass, it was a missed try.

How do I know what is going through the mind of a kid when he is passing the ball? I realize the FED allows us to judge if it is a pass or not and make a call accordingly - see 4.15.4 C (c), but I don't think I can go wrong by calling a pass that hits the rim a try. However, in the play above I thought the kid was passing when in reality it was a try.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

If this kid shots every shot in a baseball pass motion I will give him the benefit of the doubt and call it a try, but let's be serious here it is a pass and nothing more. It is not a try, how many kids regularly shot 41 foot jumpers during the game....NONE (Unless the end of a period)! Sometimes we get really carried away here and argue just for the sake for or arguing.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Because sometimes, they change their mind mid motion on what they want to do.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Because sometimes, they change their mind mid motion on what they want to do.

It doesn't seem that way in the play that was posted.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not discussing your logic, too fluid for me.

A1 with ball, A1 tries or passes, can A1 get the ball and dribble or not? I don't recall a case play or rule including any verbiage about whether the ball hits the rim or not altering either sitch. It is all judgement (unless A1 has a dribble left).