The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt violation

On a backcourt violation call. Must the offensive player step over the half court line or just touch the line?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord51
On a backcourt violation call. Must the offensive player step over the half court line or just touch the line?
With the caveat that there are several ways in which a backcourt violation can occur, the situation to which you are referring only requires that the player touch the line. The entire dividing line is, by rule, in the offensive team's backcourt. (4-13-2)
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:51pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord51
Neither, necessarily. The player could reach over and touch the ball in the backcourt (or on the line) and create a backcourt violation, if that player's team was in team control at the time, and that player's team was the last to touch the ball prior to it entering the backcourt.

NFHS Rule 9-9-1 A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Neither, necessarily. The player could reach over and touch the ball in the backcourt (or on the line) and create a backcourt violation, if that player's team was in team control at the time, and that player's team was the last to touch the ball prior to it entering the backcourt.

NFHS Rule 9-9-1 A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
Or...the ball could fully return to the frontcourt and the offensive player could be the first to touch it there after it has been in the backcourt and last touched by that player or a teammate. So reaching over the plane isn't really even required.

But I believe that the poster was simply asking what Dexter answered for him.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Had a situation relevant to the thread the other night. Team A scored, then Team B advanced the ball through their backcourt. As B1 dribbled across the division line, A1 was there waiting for him and slowed him to a walk.

B1 was dribbling and turned his body so that the ball was away from A1, still in the backcourt. B1 then stepped over the line with both feet, but the ball continued to bounce in the backcourt. Team A coach started calling "over and back!" I shook my head.

I was taught that the dribbler has to have 2 feet and the ball in the frontcourt before a backcourt violation becomes possible. My thinking was that the ball never bounced in the frontcourt, and so there was no backcourt violation.

Is that right?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

B1 was dribbling and turned his body so that the ball was away from A1, still in the backcourt. B1 then stepped over the line with both feet, but the ball continued to bounce in the backcourt. Team A coach started calling "over and back!" I shook my head.

I was taught that the dribbler has to have 2 feet and the ball in the frontcourt before a backcourt violation becomes possible. My thinking was that the ball never bounced in the frontcourt, and so there was no backcourt violation.

Is that right?
Did the dribbled ball touch B1's hand while B1 had both feet in the frontcourt?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Had a situation relevant to the thread the other night. Team A scored, then Team B advanced the ball through their backcourt. As B1 dribbled across the division line, A1 was there waiting for him and slowed him to a walk.

Is that right?
Yes, that's right.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What difference does that make?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
What difference does that make?
Just trying to stimulate thought....and discord....and pandemonium.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just trying to stimulate thought....and discord....and pandemonium.
Sometimes known as mixing manure....
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bad, bad, JR. Now go officiate three frosh girls games!