The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

counting the last second shot

Last night was my final game of the season with my normal varsity crew (2 evenly matched 3A boy's teams). We had an out and out war but brought our "A" game. The ball just wasnt' going in the hole for either team and they were playing with their hands all night. The gym was extremely hot and tempers were short. I thought we did our best job of game management in the 2 years we've been together. We had a couple of incidents where players were knocked down and got up quickly, but one of us was always there. Both coaches were vocal (including one assistant from the visiting team that was told he would not be addressing us anymore). I had to T a home player for yelling "You didn't see THAT?!" right in my grill when I was lead and my partner had the drive and foul as T (I couldn't help but laugh at the kid on the way home, he had the foul called before he started to complain). The home coaches actually thanked me for whacking him, they knew he needed it (we had already talked to him once, possibly twice). To sum it up, it might have been the most difficult, but fun game I've ever worked.

To top the game off, the visitors hit a 3 at the buzzer to win by 2. This brings up my actual question. My partners and I were discussing on the way home. The thought I should have counted the basket (I was T opposite table and had the clock). It was my contention that because I didn't come in waving it off, when I signalled the good 3 point attempt, that was mechanic enough. How do you do it?
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:38am
Jerry Blum

I have always been taught that on a last second shot you should come in and count it like you do if a basket is good after a foul. Then after that signal that it is a 3. If the basket is not going to count you turn and wave it off.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

what I have done

I haven't had many of them occur, but a few....I mark the three, then go up with the three point basket signal, then count it, and go back to the three point signal....but then again, it is just a feel, whatever feels right is probably good as long as everyone knows it was good..We did have a overtime buzzer beater last month. It ended up being no good, but I didn't have the clock....it was a transition basket, my partner had the clock and was right by the shooter, I had a look at the three pt line, I marked the three, because her feet were behind the line, but my partner had the release and waved it off...
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Whistle. Signal to count the basket. 3 point signal if needed.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Blum
I have always been taught that on a last second shot you should come in and count it like you do if a basket is good after a foul. Then after that signal that it is a 3. If the basket is not going to count you turn and wave it off.
I use the same mechanic. The OP stated "instead of coming in and waving it off". Come into where would be my question? I prefer to turn away and towards the table to let them know I'm waving it off, if I'm the R, I then ask the official scorer if the score is correct, then I'm high-tailing it outta there.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Blum
I have done it both ways. I have signaled the 3 than "count the basket" next. I do not really think there is a right or wrong. You talk to the people you work for and see how they want you to do it. I have likely only had 2 or 3 of these kinds of situation in my entire career. I do not think it really is going to matter to many people until there is a clearly defined procedure.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I use the same mechanic. The OP stated "instead of coming in and waving it off". Come into where would be my question? I prefer to turn away and towards the table to let them know I'm waving it off, if I'm the R, I then ask the official scorer if the score is correct, then I'm high-tailing it outta there.
What does being the "R" have to do with a last second shot?

The official opposite the table should make the call, either from Trail or Center, which is exactly how Junker did it. The only time that being the "R" comes into play is if there is a disagreement between officials as to whether the basket should count or not.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I use the same mechanic. The OP stated "instead of coming in and waving it off". Come into where would be my question?
What I meant was that if I was waving it off I would have been hitting the whistle as hard as I could and stepping toward the center of the court waving it off like a madman! It was very loud and very intense all night so I would have had to make sure I was heard. I made eye contact with my C and signalled the made 3, then high tailed it out of the gym.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

The official opposite the table should make the call, either from Trail or Center, which is exactly how Junker did it. The only time that being the "R" comes into play is if there is a disagreement between officials as to whether the basket should count or not.
I think he's saying that if he's the R, he's checking with the table. IF he's opposite, he rules on the last shot. If he's both, he does both.

On the OP, I just raise both hands -- that's the signal that the basket is good. Since there's normally no signal that a two-point try is good, we need the "extra" count-the-basket signal when there's doubt (a foul, or the end of a period).
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I wasn't the R, but we had a TO right before the possession with 6 seconds on the clock so I checked the books at that point. I wanted out of there asap after the game.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

The R has nothing to do with whether the basket counts or not, but I was trying to convey my mechanic for the last second shot if I have the last second shot. 1. Wave off and count the basket by looking at the table. Upon completion of that task, IF I AM THE "R", I am verifying the score with the official scorer and then high tailing it out of there.