The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Stepping out of bounds

Is it just a violation or a T to step out of bounds to avoid a 3 sec call. I called a T for leaving the court. Did I blow this.

also

A1 shoots ball, B2 fouls A2 under basket for position. Ball goes in. I counted basket and gave A the ball out of bounds, not in bonus. Was this correct.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie719
Is it just a violation or a T to step out of bounds to avoid a 3 sec call. I called a T for leaving the court. Did I blow this.
Yes you did, this is a violation, not a T.

Quote:
A1 shoots ball, B2 fouls A2 under basket for position. Ball goes in. I counted basket and gave A the ball out of bounds, not in bonus. Was this correct.
That is correct, A's ball out of bounds.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Was there a time when leaving the court was a T?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:24am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Was there a time when leaving the court was a T?
Yes. It was changed to a violation prior to the 2005-06 season.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Howie,
You unfortunately went by the old rule. The new ruling is as follows:

PLAYER OUT OF BOUNDS – LEAVING THE COURT
9.3.2 SITUATION A: A1 receives a pass while in the restricted area of the lane. A1 passes the ball to A2 outside the three-point line. In order to get the three-second count stopped, A1 steps directly out of bounds under A's basket. RULING: A1 is charged with a violation for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason. (9-7)

As Hawkeye mentioned the penalty was a technical foul back in the 2004-05 season and prior.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Throwing Elbows

On same try, B is whislted for throwing elbows, a violation while shot is in air. I believe play is whistled dead, no goal, and A's ball at pt. of interruption.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justshutup
On same try, B is whislted for throwing elbows, a violation while shot is in air. I believe play is whistled dead, no goal, and A's ball at pt. of interruption.
Almost--POI is not the correct restart of play. The game is resumed with a throw-in at the OOB spot nearest to where the excessive elbow swinging violation occurred.

SWINGING ARM(S) OR ELBOW(S)
9.13.1 SITUATION: The ball has been released on a field-goal try or tap by A1 towards A's basket: (a) A2, or (b) B1, excessively swings arm(s) or elbow(s) without contacting an opponent. The ball goes through the basket. RULING: In (a), the official will sound the whistle immediately for a violation. The ball is dead, the goal is not scored. In (b), the ball is dead when the try ends. The goal is scored and Team A is awarded a throw-in at the spot closest to the violation. (6-7-9 Exception d)

POI is very specific rule and only applies in certain situations. It is defined as follows:
RULE 4
SECTION 36 POINT OF INTERRUPTION
ART. 1 . . . Method of resuming play due to an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, as in 5-4-3, a correctable error, as in 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-8 and 4-19-10.
ART. 2 …Play shall be resumed by one of the following:

a. A throw-in to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the stoppage occurred.
b. A free throw or a throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.
c. An alternating-possession throw-in when the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Stand corrected on spot. Thanks, but interesting how a foul and viloation are handled differently.
Who sits home and dreams up all this stuff. must have great life.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Stand corrected on spot. Thanks, but interesting how a foul and viloation are handled differently.
Who sits home and dreams up all this stuff. must have great life.
How are they handled differently with regard to the throw-in spot? Either way, it's at the spot closest to the infraction.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I think he means that for the foul by A2 the basket still counts, but for a violation by A2 the ball is dead and the basket doesn't count.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

BTW the reason is that if you didn't take away the basket on the violation there would be no penalty since the opponent is getting the ball anyway. For the foul, the opponent still gets the ball, but the offender gets charged with one of his five fouls. So in that case there is still a tangible deterrent.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Second topic of my original post. Is 4.41.1 the best example to support this or is there a more specific one.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

This is a bit better because the foul is committed against a teammate of the shooter.

6.7 SITUATION D: A1 has started a try for a goal (is in the act of shooting), but the ball is not yet in flight when the official blows the whistle for B2 fouling A2. A1's try is successful. RULING: Score the goal by A1. If Team A is in the bonus, A2 will shoot free throws. If not, Team A will have a designated spot throw-in nearest to where the foul occurred. COMMENT: The foul by the defense need not be on the player in the act of shooting for continuous motion principles to apply. (6-7 Exception c)

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 03:23pm.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If A has shot before B violates, the basket counts. If B violates during a shot by a teammate, then you cancel the shot.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If A has shot before B violates, the basket counts. If B violates during a shot by a teammate, then you cancel the shot.
Yeah, it wasn't clear to me whether he was using B as a teammate or an opponent who was violating, so I just posted the case play that covered both situations for him.