The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I do most girls JV here in New York, under NCAA rules. Here's a situation that came up the other night and how I handled it. I looked at the rulebook when I got home, but I couldn't find the answer.

A1 is taking the ball out of bounds. B1, who is guarding A1, steps out of bounds. I blow my whistle and tell B1 that if she does it again, it's a technical foul for delay of game. (Should I have gone to the table and informed them at this point? I didn''t....) At the beginning of the 3rd quarter, I pulled both team captains aside and told them that since I had already issued a warning for this, the next violation by either team would be a technical foul. I also told them to tell the rest of their teammates. Late in the 4th quarter, with 8 seconds left in the game, this happened again. I blew the T. The coach said she hadn't been warned and I told her that I had warned the captains.

Did I handle it right? What's the mechanic for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Lotto,

Since you said you were playing NCAA rules, I am not sure if you are required to report warnings for delay to the scorer's table. In FED rules you are. And also you are to report the warning to the Head Coach of the offending team, and tell them that the next violation of this type will result in a T. Each team gets a warning. One team's warning doesn't apply to the opponents. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I thought that each team got its own warning for delay of game.

Blow the whistle, inform the table. They are supposed to inform coaches (I think) but I report the violation loudly enough that the coach knows he has been warned. Next delay violation by same team is a T.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2001, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
I do most girls JV here in New York, under NCAA rules.
A1 is taking the ball out of bounds. B1, who is guarding A1, steps out of bounds. I blow my whistle and tell B1 that if she does it again, it's a technical foul for delay of game.
Ben,

If you use NCAA rules without league-specified modifications, then there is no formal delay of game warning procedure for breaking the plane on a throw-in. What the book says is that a team may not "repeatedly delay the game by preventing the ball from being promptly put in play." So, if a player reaches or steps across the line while defending the throw-in, it is simply a violation. If he/she repeatedly does so and it interferes with the throw-in effort, you could (should) warn the player/team not to cross the line. Then you would be justified in calling a "T" if it happens again. Now, in high school, you WOULD, as Huskerblue indicated, warn the team by informing the coach and having the table record the warning.