The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Stepping Off

Had this happen in a game.

R2. Pitcher in the stretch taking signs. Coach says to "step off." Pitcher steps off by bringing his free foot back behind the rubber towards second. I call nothing.

Now, later in the inning, there was just R1. Pitcher did the same move. I called balk. When coach asked for an explanation and why i didn't call anything the first time, i told him that since there was a runner at second the first time, that step was considered a fake to second. Since he did it with second unoccupied, it's a fake to an unoccupied base and a balk.

So, 2 questions for ya:

1) Was my ruling right in the story above?

2) Is the pitcher required to legally disengage with the pivot foot even though he hasn't come set yet?

Please note any FED/OBR difference.

Thanks!

-Bossman
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
OBR: balk - feint to an unoccupied base and no attempted play.

IF, the R1 was making a break for 2B, I would probably allow the move b/c their is a play upon the runner.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

The only reason I haven't commented on this yet is because I can't figure out what the guy was doing.

I've been standing in the middle of my office for the last 10 mins trying to go through the two situations.

With the exception of my administrative assistant looking at me like I'm nuts, I have not yet understood what was happening.

Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Lemme see if I have this right.

Play one with R2, the pitcher steps back towards 2B with his non pivot foot while in contact with the rubber, correct?

I'm trying to understand how the move was done.

To answer your second question, the pitcher still must legally disengage even if he has not come set yet.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

it was a simple cross over the front of the body with the free leg.

to clarify- in my original post, delete the word "back" in the sentence describing the move.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

A very similar discussion is going on at McGriff's board.

http://www.gmcgriff.com/discus/messa...tml?1119576792
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
The only reason I haven't commented on this yet is because I can't figure out what the guy was doing.

I've been standing in the middle of my office for the last 10 mins trying to go through the two situations.

With the exception of my administrative assistant looking at me like I'm nuts, I have not yet understood what was happening.

In both cases F1 brought his non pivot foot past the back edge of the rubber as if he was turning to 2B to make a pickoff. With R2 that is ok, with R1 that should be a balk, since he brought his foot past the rubber and did not pitch.