The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ridavis13
Question

B1 steals the ball from A1 near the sideline. B1 while losing her balance pushes the ball forward toward her basket. In an attempt to regain her balance she steps out of bounds. She returns to the court and after 5 or 6 steps is the first to touch the ball. I have asked a number of officials about this play an have received different interpretations. I did not stop play. I know that the rule reads if you voluntarily step out of bounds you can not be the first to touch the ball. Level of play was NCAA womens.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ridavis13
B1 steals the ball from A1 near the sideline. B1 while losing her balance pushes the ball forward toward her basket. In an attempt to regain her balance she steps out of bounds. She returns to the court and after 5 or 6 steps is the first to touch the ball. I have asked a number of officials about this play an have received different interpretations. I did not stop play. I know that the rule reads if you voluntarily step out of bounds you can not be the first to touch the ball. Level of play was NCAA womens.
If B1 had control and then released the ball to the floor you have a pass/start of a dribble, and thus an interrupted dribble.

B1 may re-enter and continue her dribble or gather the ball. If she gathers the ball and dribbles it is an illegal dribble(double dribble).

If she saved or batted the ball forward WITHOUT controlling it first, she may re-enter and do whatever she wants.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
If B1 had control and then released the ball to the floor you have a pass/start of a dribble, and thus an interrupted dribble.

B1 may re-enter and continue her dribble or gather the ball. If she gathers the ball and dribbles it is an illegal dribble(double dribble).

If she saved or batted the ball forward WITHOUT controlling it first, she may re-enter and do whatever she wants.
BZ,
I agree with your last item. However on the first two, it sounds like you are calling this a dribble and a dribbler cannot step out of bounds - that's a violation. 9-3 Note.

However, this sounds like it was not controlled (5 or 6 steps) and in that case I would let her regain inbounds status, gather the ball with two hands if needed, and/or start dribbling.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I agree under NFHS rules. But as I understand NCAA the Women's code, you cannot be first to touch the ball after returning from OOB.

That understanding comes from the Fed rule book on code differences. I don't have it with me now, but I'll bet someone can quote the rule more closely.

Blackhawk
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
I'll bet someone can quote the rule more closely.
NCAA 9-4-1. (It's not just a women's rule.)
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
I agree under NFHS rules. But as I understand NCAA the Women's code, you cannot be first to touch the ball after returning from OOB.
But that's only if the player left of his or her own volition. It doesn't apply to a player who loses his/her balance or is trying to "save" a ball.

Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

BZ,
I agree with your last item. However on the first two, it sounds like you are calling this a dribble and a dribbler cannot step out of bounds - that's a violation. 9-3 Note.

However, this sounds like it was not controlled (5 or 6 steps) and in that case I would let her regain inbounds status, gather the ball with two hands if needed, and/or start dribbling.
If she is dribbling and steps out it is a violation, but what we have here is different. This falls under a pass that becomes an interrupted dribble. It is just like A1, who has yet to dribble, passes to A2, but A2 turns away so A1 runs and gets the ball. That is legal. A1 may go and continue dribbling the "pass" or if she picks it up the dribble has ended and she cannot dribble again.