The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:22pm
PYRef

Consider your chop-in as "0". Then continue along with 1 from there. Use whatever arm feels good to you but I'm with BNR and use the same arm I chop in with.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:37am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Our local board interpreter now advises us to use two different arms to make these two counts so this mistake doesn't happen. If we make the five second count with our right arm, we switch over to our left arm for the ten second count. Our interpreter also advises us to switch arms as we change our five second closely guarded counts, from a dribbling count to a holding count or from a holding count to a dribbling count.
Using different arms when switching from one count immediately to another was also a Fed mechanic clarification for the 04-05 season.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

...and you end your count in the backcourt when ...?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

I don't switch counts when I'm going from throw-in to 10 second count. I count my 10 second count with my outside arm. So sometimes I switch arms depending on where the throw-in is (determines what arm i'm counting with for throw-in) but I don't make sure it is switched.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
...and you end your count in the backcourt when ...?
Johnny, when do you end your 10-second count? (not being condescending). What do your instincts tell you?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Was this veteran partner an old school kind of guy?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
I don't switch counts when I'm going from throw-in to 10 second count. I count my 10 second count with my outside arm. So sometimes I switch arms depending on where the throw-in is (determines what arm i'm counting with for throw-in) but I don't make sure it is switched.
I do all of my throw-in counts in the backcourt or for a throw-in which might be passed into the backcourt with my arm that will be away from the table as I turn and face downcourt. This allows me to switch arms and make my 10-second count towards the table and the benches.

So if I am tableside Trail with the table on my left as I face the basket of the team with the ball, I would do the throw-in count with my right arm and then the 10-second count with my left arm.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I do all of my throw-in counts in the backcourt or for a throw-in which might be passed into the backcourt with my arm that will be away from the table as I turn and face downcourt. This allows me to switch arms and make my 10-second count towards the table and the benches.

So if I am tableside Trail with the table on my left as I face the basket of the team with the ball, I would do the throw-in count with my right arm and then the 10-second count with my left arm.
And, FWIW (not much), I do the opposite. My throw-in count is with the "outside" hand, and the other hand is the 10-second count. So, it might be toward the table or opposite the table. If there's no throw-in, then I count with the hand toward the table.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Count continues until the ball acquires frontcourt status for the team in control. So if the defense dislodges the ball but does not gain control, count continues until the defense gains control [in which case they are probably already in their frontcourt] or the offense gets the ball into their frontcourt; if the defense gains control and then loses control, a new 10-count is begun.

A pass in which the 10-count ends while the ball is in the air but "over the frontcourt itself" would still count as a violation because the ball maintains backcourt status until it touches the frontcourt.

For the dribbler coming from the backcourt to the frontcourt, the count continues until both the ball and the dribbler's two feet have acquired frontcourt status.

Did I miss anything?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 09:44am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Consider your chop-in as "0". Then continue along with 1 from there. Use whatever arm feels good to you but I'm with BNR and use the same arm I chop in with.
I am with you all on this technique. I have practiced with the shot clock to get the timing down. Chop = 0, 1 & a 2, & a 3 etc. using the same hand I chopped in time.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Was this veteran partner an old school kind of guy?
Yup......
"Veteran" does not equal knowledgeable....or good.