The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Question

NCAA Men's Rules. I believe the mechanic is that a referee will tell the timer to start the stopwatch when both teams have met at their respective benches. This is true for any timeout. I can't find any definition of when the stopwatch is started in either the rule book or in the illustrated rules book. What is the correct mechanic and is it spelled out in the rule book?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure what the book says. One conference i work said; blow whistle, signal FULL TO, turn to timer and start clock. Do not wait for players to clear. Now on 30sec TO we wait till the players get to there bench, before starting clock.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I will make sure the majority of the players of both teams are in close proximity to their bench. I will point to the timer to start clock. Why short change them! Sometimes we or I Should say "I" need the timeout so I can gather my thoughts and rest!

I have been places where they want to start the time, as soon as the whislte is blown. The warning signal for the 30 second timeout is almost going off as you are reporting the timeout to the bench.

AK ref SE
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 10:53pm
Administrator

Under NFHS and NCAA rules there are four mechanics books that cover two- and three-person officiating.

NFHS 1999-2001 Officials Manual: See Paragraphs 272 (two-
person) and 377 (three-person). The wording of these two paragraphs are identical. "Sound your whistle while giving the clock-stopping signal. While moving to the reporting area, look for verification from a coach as to what type of time-out is to be charged. Within the reporting area, give the appropriate time-out signal, verbally indicate the team color, verbally and visually give the player number or head coach making the request, and instruct the timer to begin the time-out period."

The 2000-01 CCA Men's Manual for a Crew of Two is silent on the matter as to when the time-out is to stop. See Section 17, Articles 1 and 2.

The 2000-01 CCA Men's and Women's Manuals for a Crew of Three does define when the time-out starts.

CCA/Men's Section 22, Article 1: "The calling official immediately signals time-out and verbally indicates the jersey color of the team and the NUMBER OF THE PLAYER OR HEAD COACH MAKING THE REQUEST. Notify the timer to start the time-out clock when both teams are near their benches."

CCA/Women's Section 20, Article A/Full timeout, Para. 1.: "The official that recognized the timeout called by a coach or player takes the timeout to the table. Indicate whether it is a full or media timeout. Indicate the jersey color of the team and the number of the player or coach making the request. Notify the timer ot start the timeout clock when both teams are near their benches."

CCA/Women's Section 20, Article B/30 second timeout, Para. 3.: "Officials will follow the same protocol in reporting the 30 second timeout to the table as they do in a full timeout, ..."

There you have it. Under NFHS and NCAA rules, the time-out does not start until the official tells the timer to start timing the time-out.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 11:02pm
Administrator

What I forgot to add was that if you follow the protocol found in the manuals by the time you get to the part of telling the timer to start timing the timeout you will find that the teams are at their benches. So a team really gets about 30 seconds extra for a timeout whether it is a 30 second or full timeout.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio