The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS:
Visting team A leads by one point and has the ball for a throw in at half court with 5 seconds left in the game. Team A sends everyone towards the basket they are shooting at except for one player, A1, who cuts into the back court. B1 is defending A1 and gambles for the steal but his momentum takes him way out of the play. A1 catches the pass and there is now no one anywhere near him. A1 is just holding the ball and is easily going to run out the clock. I had watched B1 fly by to ensure there was no foul and then I glanced at A1 to make sure he had caught the ball cleanly, maybe 2 seconds have passed. Then I glance at the clock which to my dismay has not started.
If I whistle the ball dead I am penalizing the visiting team who has the game in hand by making them inbound again with 2-3 seconds to play. Can I whistle the play dead and declare the game is over without the clock having started? Should I hold my whistle and count off the remaining 3 seconds in my head and then whistle? If the clock suddenly starts (late) and I am the only one who saw it not start on time and I have whistled before the horn that could get ugly...
What would you do?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Wow, that's a tough question. I think that if I were actually in the situation, my instincts would take over and I would blow the whistle and take 2 or 3 seconds off the clock. But you're right in that this would put Team A at a disadvantage. It might be better to count the 5 seconds in your head (or visibly) and then end the game with your whistle. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
NFHS:
If the clock suddenly starts (late) and I am the only one who saw it not start on time and I have whistled before the horn that could get ugly...
What would you do?
I can most certianly assure you that team A coaches know the time left and when the clock starts. I'm guessing everyone knows the clock sitch. Just some are not going to mention it. If you have knowledge of a timing error that late in the game, and the guy was in his back court, I would continue with my visable 10 second count and blow the whistle when the game was over. Rule 2-5-5

Stan

Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

There is a casebook play exactly like this. I had to enact it once a couple of years ago in a JV game. The clock did not start, and I was lead. I waited until the ball crossed half court, then asked my partner what he had for a count. He said, "8," so I instructed the timekeeper to take 8 seconds off the clock. I know this is allowed by rule with a count in the backcourt. Like I said, it's in the casebook somewhere.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
There is a casebook play exactly like this. I had to enact it once a couple of years ago in a JV game. The clock did not start, and I was lead. I waited until the ball crossed half court, then asked my partner what he had for a count. He said, "8," so I instructed the timekeeper to take 8 seconds off the clock. I know this is allowed by rule with a count in the backcourt. Like I said, it's in the casebook somewhere.
Casebook play 5.10.2 oughta do it.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

CB 5.10.2 is a situation where, due to definite knowledge (closely-guarded count), time may be removed from the clock when it was not properly started.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Just make sure that you allow all five seconds to elapse before you try to correct the clock. Otherwise you do penalize Team A. In end of period situations, it is always a good idea to know the time remaining before you inbound ball and then have your own count going until you can sneak a peak at the clock to make sure it started correctly.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Casebook play 5.10.2 oughta do it.
Here's the text of the casebook play:

5.10.2 SITUATION: Following a violation in the fourth quarter, there are five seconds on the clock as A1 is bounced the ball for a throw-in. The throw-in is completed to A2. The official properly signals the clock to start and immediately begins a closely-guarded count on A2. The official reaches a count of three seconds when B1 fouls A2. The official stops play properly and reports the foul at the table. The timer reports that he/she did not start the clock when the throw-in was touched by A2. The clock still shows five seconds. Ruling: The referee will order the clock set at two seconds. The referee has definite knowledge of the amount of time involved in this situation by using the closely-guarded count.