The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Had the weirdest game tonight (JVG 3A). Two fouls TOTAL in the first half. Home team didn't foul AT ALL until into the fourth quarter. We did the whole game, including the half time in an hour and five minutes. Fourth quarter was more "normal" but even so, second half fouls were only 4 fouls on visitors, and two on home.

Visitors had an interesting play. 6 seconds left with V ahead by one point. Visitor set up defense heavily below the 3-point line. Home inbounds at half-court to center court, then a pass sort of across and down, one quick dribble, one v player steps out onto the ball and fouls. It didn't look intentional, and the coach wasn't yelling "foul", but it sure did the job! Home fans wanted intentional, but there was no basis. But home only had two seconds left, and had to inbound with the ball almost back at half-court, and of course, didn't score. I chewed on it all the way home. It didn't take away an obvious advantage, it was no way excessive contact, it was on-ball, just not intentional at all. But strategically brilliant.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 07:32am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

YU.P.
Good play.
mick
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Had the weirdest game tonight (JVG 3A). Two fouls TOTAL in the first half. Home team didn't foul AT ALL until into the fourth quarter. We did the whole game, including the half time in an hour and five minutes. Fourth quarter was more "normal" but even so, second half fouls were only 4 fouls on visitors, and two on home.

Visitors had an interesting play. 6 seconds left with V ahead by one point. Visitor set up defense heavily below the 3-point line. Home inbounds at half-court to center court, then a pass sort of across and down, one quick dribble, one v player steps out onto the ball and fouls. It didn't look intentional, and the coach wasn't yelling "foul", but it sure did the job! Home fans wanted intentional, but there was no basis. But home only had two seconds left, and had to inbound with the ball almost back at half-court, and of course, didn't score. I chewed on it all the way home. It didn't take away an obvious advantage, it was no way excessive contact, it was on-ball, just not intentional at all. But strategically brilliant.
rainmaker:

We must have been on the same page yesterday! Did a JVG game (2 private schools) and we had 3 fouls in the first half and 2 in the second half. As the game was in progress, I remembered some of the comments made in earlier threads about girls games not being "fun" games, but this game was a "fun" game. The visiting team was definitely the better team, but both teams could shoot the 3. Visitors had a 5 point lead at half, but won by 23. The home team just wasn't as proficient at shooting 3's. This league is the only one we officiate that uses the 30-second clock. Kinda hard to "not" start a 10-second back court count -- kinda automatic for me.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Come on, Juulie, you know you have to call it both ways!!
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like good coaching to me.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:

Juulie,

You will see more and more of this type play as you begin to work better games that have better coaches. They know how many fouls their team "has to give" before reaching the bonus, and will instruct their players to run some time off of the clock and then commit these fouls.

During time outs late in the game, I will get with my crew to let them know (if it is posted on the scoreboard) if the defense has fouls to give, especially if they are ahead and may use this strategy. This is not changing the way we are looking at the game, but is a way to possibly keep a problem from happening. If a team wants to foul, don't make it have to be a hard foul, because if you pass on the soft foul, then the next one will be harder to make you blow the whistle.

I have even been known to ask a coach if they want the quick foul called when they are on defense. I realize that this borders on being on the DARK SIDE, but if it works for you and makes your game smoother, consider it.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My wierd experience last night (Boys V) was that I blew my whistle only twice in the first 8 minutes or so of the game. I called an OOB, and I called a T on a player who yelled "Gimme that s**t!" after blocking a shot. My partner had several whistles; some for OOB, a couple of travels, and 2 or 3 personal fouls on each team. I just didn't have anything happen in front of me. It was very odd. The rest of the game proceeded normally; but the first quarter or so of the game was like I wasn't even there.

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
...I called a T on a player who yelled "Gimme that s**t!" after blocking a shot. ...
Chuck
Must be a regional thing, a few weeks ago I T'ed a HS
kid for yelling "Get that sh1t outta here!" after blocking a
shot. So, what's the proper phrasing, "gimme it" or
"get it outta here"? Make your voice heard, vote on line!

Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
So, what's the proper phrasing, "gimme it" or

I personally like "get it outta here" better. It just makes more sense. Maybe it takes too long to say, tho!

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
So, what's the proper phrasing, "gimme it" or

I personally like "get it outta here" better. It just makes more sense. Maybe it takes too long to say, tho!

Chuck
True, but lyrically it has much more potential. You can
accent different parts of it and add extensions to provide
subtle mood imagery:

Get that sh1t outta here!
and my personal favorite:
Get that sh1t the f@ck outta here!

Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 02:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Juulie - I worked with a guy Wednesday night who did something I haven't seen before, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. It was a similar situation to yours.

A was up by two with less than 30 seconds to go. There was a timeout. My partner walked over within a few feet of B's huddle and yelled loudly at me across the court, "Be sure to watch for the intentional foul" while making the signal with his hands. Everyone in the gym heard him. At first, I was surprised, but the more I thought about it, the more it didn't seem out of line.

In lower level rec, I have stuck my head into a huddle and said to a coach, "be sure your guys are going for the ball if you are going to foul or it will be intentional - and keep the contact level down." Usually, the coach tells his kids, "Hear that? Make sure you do that."

I like the other way for higher levels.

BTW - still waiting for that email from you on the Fenk issue.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 05:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
I have even been known to ask a coach if they want the quick foul called when they are on defense. I realize that this borders on being on the DARK SIDE, but if it works for you and makes your game smoother, consider it. [/B]
I am appalled,Biggie,just appalled.Did you forget to whisper to the coach to remind his players to go for the ball when they fouled,too?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - still waiting for that email from you on the Fenk issue.
I know, I know...

I'll get around to it, after I get my sister moved into her new adult foster home, get a new hearing aid for my senile grandfather, get my son's scalp disease under control, and what's the other thing? Oh, yeah, I've still got a few games left...