View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Rookie Official Experience

I live in Florida, Pinellas County, and just finished my first year officiating basketball. After 20 years in Engineering/Sales, I made a career change and now have a schedule that allows me to referee basketball.

I worked about 40 Middle School games and the following are my observations.

1. It was a lot of fun
2. Coaches and fans DO respect an official who is cordial and makes an effort. I received many compliments from coaches and FANS--even while I was walking to my vehicle after a game, and fans while driving, complimented while in their vehicles.
3. At the younger age, players and coaches respect "educating" and helping the players.
4. Great exercise
5. Provides a better understanding of the game.
6. Coaches and fans DO have a right to criticize during a game. Most of the time, I missed a call or was out of position.
7. Management of the game is a lot more important than knowing the rules.
8. A great way to give back to the youth of America. While I was growing up a lot of people helped me.
9. Girls games, by far, are more difficult than boys games. I called three intentional fouls this year and all were for the girls.
10. About 1/3 of the veteran partners I had for Middle School games acted like it was "below them" to officiate these games. Veteran officials should realize that the school districts are their customers. Not surprisngly, the other 2/3 of my veteran partners were, by far, better officials.

Please share your comment/opinions.

More importantly, I will be back next year.