The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Nope, I'm saying that you can NEVER have a BLOCK on a defender with LGP, as you have stated several times should be called. And I'm also saying that any association that would teach you such complete and utter boolsh!t is just a piss-poor excuse for an official's organization.

That's my opinion and it's firmly on the record, and also I have a pretty good idea what association you belong to and where it's located.
Well I've stated my stance on the play, and just to further clarify I am talking about a SECONDARY DEFENDER, not a primary one. 9 out of 10 times a block charge play with a secondary defender is a bang bang play. With no RA in HS and in college it gives me leeway to do what I want on those bang bang plays. If guys are just going to the whole with reckless abandon, in this case I can call an offensive foul and try to clean it up (if I remember correctly I said I would call a block most the time, but not all the time). No RA gives me a choice on bang bang plays and depending on the situation in the game I can judge accordingly.

P.S. I think my association is one of the best and love the guys I work with, so quit talking about my assignor and partners. They are good officials.

Last edited by btaylor64; Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 03:45pm.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 05:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
1) Well I've stated my stance on the play, and just to further clarify I am talking about a SECONDARY DEFENDER, not a primary one. 9 out of 10 times a block charge play with a secondary defender is a bang bang play. With no RA in HS and in college it gives me leeway to do what I want on those bang bang plays. (if I remember correctly I said I would call a block most the time, but not all the time). No RA gives me a choice on bang bang plays and depending on the situation in the game I can judge accordingly.

2) P.S. I think my association is one of the best and love the guys I work with, so quit talking about my assignor and partners. They are good officials.
1) Yup, call a block most of the time even though the defender had LGP. Iow, you call what you feel like calling instead of calling what the rules say you should call. Absolutely freaking ridiculous....... and sad!

2) Are you serious? If your association is not only teaching you that crap but is also insisting that you call it that way too, then I'll repeat it again for you. Your association is setting one piss-poor example for the rest of the officials across the country that are trying to call the game properly and correctly. Your association is as ridiculous and sad as you are, and maybe even moreso because they're training you so poorly. Old School would make a good member of your association. He has some very similar ideas as yours when it comes to calling games. He's also in your general area.

Call it any way you want. If that's the way that you are being trained, you really don't have a choice. You don't know any better. Just don't expect other officials or officials associations to agree with you.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I've stated my stance on the play, and just to further clarify I am talking about a SECONDARY DEFENDER, not a primary one. 9 out of 10 times a block charge play with a secondary defender is a bang bang play.
Where in the HS or NCAA rule book does it specify different requirements for a secondary defender? For that matter, where do either of them even define secondary defender?

Quote:
With no RA in HS and in college it gives me leeway to do what I want on those bang bang plays. ....No RA gives me a choice on bang bang plays and depending on the situation in the game I can judge accordingly.
How does the lack of an RA in HS and college give you the right to create an imaginary one?

HS block/charge plays are all about LGP. As long as the defender has LGP, you can't have a block, no matter where it is on the floor.