The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   charge or not (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31680-charge-not.html)

clips2 Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:46pm

charge or not

does high school have a area under the basket where a charge is not called. guy going for layup and defender is under basket. Is there a line like the n.b.a. where he has to be positioned?

JRutledge Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:48pm

No.

Peace

ref2coach Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:48pm

NO, Little of what you see in the NBA on TV has any correlation to High School ball.

deecee Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:49pm

^ except the coaches attitude :)

clips2 Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:56pm

what should the call be

a guy dribbles to the hole.leaves his feet to make a layup, yet there is a defender standing there..i know if you say there is no line than there is a charge if he is set, yet i know momentum on a fast dribble and leaving your feet to lay it in can be only natural...

deecee Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:57pm

i generally dont reward bad defense -- and just standing under the basket/backboard isnt good defense IMO -- usually no call from the instances I have seen this.

Smitty Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by clips2
a guy dribbles to the hole.leaves his feet to make a layup, yet there is a defender standing there..i know if you say there is no line than there is a charge if he is set, yet i know momentum on a fast dribble and leaving your feet to lay it in can be only natural...

What's your point?

Smitty Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
i generally dont reward bad defense -- and just standing under the basket/backboard isnt good defense IMO -- usually no call from the instances I have seen this.

So you ignore the rule...brilliant.

Splute Fri Feb 09, 2007 01:03pm

Again I am new, but from what I have read so far, this would be a charge if the defense was in position prior to the layup; a shooting foul if the defense jumped in front of the Offesenive player. Right? Arent we suppose to call everything, regardless? The rules make the game even for both teams....

JRutledge Fri Feb 09, 2007 01:03pm

There is a rule and there is a reality. The reality is there are officials that use this as a guide to help them make a call. I personally do not care what people do as long as they are consistent. This in my opinion is no different than having a philosophy behind how we call any rules to make a judgment. After all, these are judgment calls.

Peace

deecee Fri Feb 09, 2007 01:06pm

i agree JRut -- not that I have not called PC fouls under the basket -- i just dont reward bad defense

Splute Fri Feb 09, 2007 01:07pm

Fair enough. But to call it bad defense seems crazy. In my opinion it is good defense. The call went against A1 for charging, no points and your ball. If you dont call the foul, A1 probably makes the basket if it is an easy layup. AT the same time, if B1 fouls then it becomes an extra point situation for A1 thanks to enforcing the rules. Thus making it fair, IMO, but I agree they are judgement calls and in an instant.

Eastshire Fri Feb 09, 2007 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee

So standing in a place that prevents the normal layup is bad defense? Forcing a jump shot is bad defense? Taking away the layup is good defense. You can take away a lay up by standing under the basket. Therefore, standing under the basket can be good defense.

If the defender has LGP and the offense drills him, do your job and call it.

crazy voyager Fri Feb 09, 2007 03:05pm

I wouldn't call this a charge.
I agree in the people saying that this is bad defense. I don't see standing under the ring being a good defense. And I don't think we should award players who doesn't play proper defense.
I also know that FIBA tried the nba restricted circle rule a few years ago. But it was removed, I'm not sure why (it was Alan Richardson who said this during a clinic I went too). The comment I got was "Europe wasn't ready for it but it was a really good rule".
My point is that I dont' belive standing under the ring waiting for a player to fall into you is good defense. And I don't belive in awarding players who do this. The only thing I belive I would call is an unsportsmanlike if that is warranted. Otherwise I belive in this to be a no call. And many fiba referees today (at least around here) think and do the same.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 09, 2007 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by clips2
does high school have a area under the basket where a charge is not called. guy going for layup and defender is under basket. Is there a line like the n.b.a. where he has to be positioned?

iirc, even in the NBA this is a charge unless the person is a secondary defender.