The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 10, 2001, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Adult slow-pitch

Batter hits ball to outfield F3 moves to 1st base and stands as runner rounds. I noticed F3 but on the play I had other base runners and didnt say anything to her at this time. I was returning to the plate the offensive coach come out yelling and demanding that I go down and tell F3 that she cant be standing on the base when there is no play someone is going to get hurt. I tell the coach to get back and his dugout and be quiet my job is to enforce the rules not teach the players how to play. He gets PO'D

Now I will say this if the coach had just come out and asked me adult like to speak to F3 about not standing on the bag when there wasnt a play I would not had a problem with that I would have found the appropiate time to talk to F3 and her coach about this

QUESTION: On a situation such as this when do you step in and do preventive umpiring and when do you just let it be and would you appease the offensive coach is this situation even though he was being a jerk and go ahead and take care of situation. I understand in younger age league's the smart thing to do is the preventive umping but in adults I dont feel that I am there to teach or babysit these supposed adults

Thanks for replies

Don
Old Sun Jun 10, 2001, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's not a matter of teaching or baby-sitting, even at the adult level. As soon as the ball's dead, tell F3 that not only is she in danger of getting seriously injured, but it's obstruction as well. If the coach comes out yelling before you have a chance to talk to F3, "Coach, I've got the situation under control. And you now have a warning about unsportsmanlike conduct".

Bob
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

I just rule the obstruction, announce it and move the
runner(s)if necessary. After the play, I would find a way to take a route to my position close enough to the fielder to let her know in a low voice that she needs to move away from the play without the ball.

I have to agree, it is not the umpire's responsibility to coach the players or tell them where to stand. There is nothing wrong with little safety tips here and there, but they need not be announced to everyone on the field.

Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 06:36am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
Adult slow-pitch

Batter hits ball to outfield F3 moves to 1st base and stands as runner rounds. I noticed F3 but on the play I had other base runners and didnt say anything to her at this time. I was returning to the plate the offensive coach come out yelling and demanding that I go down and tell F3 that she cant be standing on the base when there is no play someone is going to get hurt. I tell the coach to get back and his dugout and be quiet my job is to enforce the rules not teach the players how to play. He gets PO'D

Now I will say this if the coach had just come out and asked me adult like to speak to F3 about not standing on the bag when there wasnt a play I would not had a problem with that I would have found the appropiate time to talk to F3 and her coach about this

QUESTION: On a situation such as this when do you step in and do preventive umpiring and when do you just let it be and would you appease the offensive coach is this situation even though he was being a jerk and go ahead and take care of situation. I understand in younger age league's the smart thing to do is the preventive umping but in adults I dont feel that I am there to teach or babysit these supposed adults

Thanks for replies

Don
Don,
I would've given the manager a "Stop Sign".
Then, I would have walked toward F3 and suggested that he "not block the bag".
"Play!"

The difference between being excited and being a jerk is sometimes indiscernible, and I ump for fun.
mick
Old Thu Jun 14, 2001, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

A Calmer Approach

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
Adult slow-pitch

...I was returning to the plate the offensive coach come out yelling and demanding ... I tell the coach to get back and his dugout and be quiet my job is to enforce the rules not teach the players how to play. He gets PO'D
Mick's "Stop sign" is a great suggestion. For best game management, the umpires should remain calm and not incite the coaches or players. Your words to the coach may have been imflammatory (he got PO'd). Look at the end of your sentence again. He knows your job is to enforce the rules, for both fairness and safety. I'd suggest not reminding him of that. Consider calmer speech (with that stop sign!), cutting off his argument by agreeing with him, "Coach, I understand your concern". You can then give F3 a reminder to clear the base when there's no play (safety concern), with the offensive coach neither mad nor thinking he has you under his control. No tempers raised, game goes on!