The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you whose state's recognize the coaches' box:

I used to allow coaches to stray a little bit from their boxes when the boxes were only six feet and there was coaching going on and the coaches weren't ripping me or my partner.

With the box going to 14 feet, I'm probably going to get a bit stricter on them this coming season.

How are you guys/gals going to handle that this year? Same as last year? Different?

I'm trying to get some basketball discussion going to try to calm my "Basketball Referee Jones".
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Coach's box

Here in MA we use the 6' box. I have not been told yet whether we will use the expanded box this season. Personally, I couldn't care less about the box. Frankly, I have plenty of more important things on my mind. And personally, I feel almost like a coward when I say "Get back in the box, Coach". It feels like I'm saying, I don't know how to respond to you, Coach, so I'm going to hide behind this rule.

I can say without doubt that I will not enforce the coaching box more strictly this season just because it is larger. If the coach is bugging me, I want to deal with the coach; not with the coach's location.

I think the expanded box is a good idea, tho, just b/c it gives the coach room to take a few steps without being technically in violation. Six feet is really not very big. But if they removed it altogether, that wouldn't bother me either.

Just my 2 cents

Chuck
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
In Texas we are not going to use the 14 foot box, but are going to maintain the 6 foot box. In our area of the state we have been lax on enforcing it, but have been given a mandate to police this more effectively this year. This does not mean an automatic T if the coach wanders from his box.

It will mean that if the coach is chirping or even coaching at a vocal level where it draws the official's attention that he/she (must be politically correct) will be instructed to return to it...especially if they are talking to the official. If they do not comply with this request, then they are to be penalized.

The coaches will probably get tired of hearing "Coach, I will talk to you when you get back in your box". Just as in other areas which have been strictly enforcing the box, it will be a growing process for both parties.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2001, 10:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will handle it like this.

If they are out of the box and coaching, I personally could care less. But if they are yelling at me and complaining, we have a problem. So personally, I will handle it the same as I always have. The only difference will be the size of the box.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 04:42pm
Administrator

Gentlemen, could somebody please show me in the NFHS (and NCAA, for that matter) Rule Book, where a "coach's" box is mentioned? Do you mean the coaching box? This may sound like nit-picking but there is a big diference between a coaching box and a "coach's" box. The rule was writtn so that a coach could stand up and "coach" his team; not stand up in an area and yell at officials.

Everyone of us has had a coach complain about receiving a technical foul for excercising his First Amendent rights to critize the officials while standing in the "coach's" (his words) box. His excuse was that he was in the box.

I think it is important that we use correct terminology when discussing rules both among fellow officials and to lay (game/school administrators, coaches, players, fans, and the press) people. It elevates the profession and educates the people who are not familiar with the rules of the sport.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Everyone of us has had a coach complain about receiving a technical foul for excercising his First Amendent rights to critize the officials while standing in the "coach's" (his words) box. His excuse was that he was in the box.
Apparently coaches do as good of a job reading the US Constitution as they do with the rulebook.

"The Congress (the government) shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech . . ."

Gotta love those people who think they can say whatever they want whenever and wherever they are.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gentlemen, could somebody please show me in the NFHS (and NCAA, for that matter) Rule Book, where a "coach's" box is mentioned? Do you mean the coaching box? This may sound like nit-picking but there is a big diference between a coaching box and a "coach's" box. The rule was writtn so that a coach could stand up and "coach" his team; not stand up in an area and yell at officials.

I think it is important that we use correct terminology when discussing rules both among fellow officials and to lay (game/school administrators, coaches, players, fans, and the press) people. It elevates the profession and educates the people who are not familiar with the rules of the sport.
I have to agree with you, Mark. It does sound like nit-picking. Whether you call it a coaching box or a coaches' box, a coach is going to use the same excuse.

I understand your point but it think it's more important that everyone understand what a coach can and can't do while in the box, as opposed to what it's called.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

I am with Chuck

The "tools" of game management are in the rule book.

I believe the "Box" (coaching/coach's ... Crying, whining, complaining... Call it what you want) is not nearly as important as the attitude (demeanor) that the official uses in his approach when dealing with the coach. Professionalism is essential. It seems to be very "Common sense" stuff. (Life 101)

My question:
Do we believe the "Box" simplifies or complicates our job as an official?
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 09:23am
In Memoriam

Re: I am with Chuck

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
My question:
Do we believe the "Box" simplifies or complicates our job as an official?
willie,
I like it.
Because he's closer, a coach can talk to me instead of yell at me.
mick

Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 09:26am
Administrator

The reason that the Rules Committee used the word "coaching" as opposed to "coach's" is that the Rules Committee wanted the coach to be able to "coach", and I emphasize the word "coach" and not the word "coach's" is so the coaches will coach and not use it as a area to "work on officials."

My previous post is nit-picking to the officials who do not use correct teminology. It is professional to use the correct terms rather than use a word that has a similar sound but does not convey the correct meaning of the rule.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Coaching Box

Quote:
The reason that the Rules Committee used the word "coaching" as opposed to "coach's" is that the Rules Committee wanted the coach to be able to "coach", and I emphasize the word "coach" and not the word "coach's" is so the coaches will coach and not use it as a area to "work on officials."

Mark,
If a Coach stands up to talk to me, I see no reason to tell him to sit down and ask me a question, or make a statement, after he's seated. That does not seem respectful, or professional, to me.
I still prefer him standing and talking in a normal voice than being seated and yelling. I prefer that type of professional exchange of views.
Do you just ask him to sit and not listen to him?
mick

Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 01:56pm
Administrator

Some of you guys are missing my point. We need to talk the correct language of the rules. I am not debating how we handle coaches. But please speak the correct language and correct termonolgy. When we do not use the correct language we give the layman a chance to hang us because we do not use the correct terms.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 02:15pm
In Memoriam

Wink I think I've got it.

Quote:
Some of you guys are missing my point. We need to talk the correct language of the rules. I am not debating how we handle coaches. But please speak the correct language and correct termonolgy. When we do not use the correct language we give the layman a chance to hang us because we do not use the correct terms.

Quote:

So,... it is proper to call it the "Coaching Box", but it's okay if the coach thinks it is the "Coach's Box" as long as he's not yelling at us?
Just having fun, Mark.
mick

Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
My previous post is nit-picking to the officials who do not use correct teminology. It is professional to use the correct terms rather than use a word that has a similar sound but does not convey the correct meaning of the rule.
That's not true. I call it the coaching box. Yet, I still found your post to be nitpicky.

Good grief, Mark, loosen up a bit, would you?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I tend to enforce the coaching box if I think it is being abused to an advantage. That is, I'm not going to speak to a coach because one foot is outside the box. I am going to speak to a coach who is at the division line or end line coaching his team. (I've seen both, and you probably have too.)

As for talking to me, I'd rather he come out of the box to talk to me instead of staying in it and yelling. If I can spare the attention, we'll communicate. If I cannot, I'll tell him "Not now" and move on. If the coach comes out into the playing area (and again I'm not talking about on or just over the line, especially on a tight court) I'll whack him. (OK, if it is a timeout and he asks me to come talk to him I'll probably meet him half way. As long as it's civil, we're probably still talking.)