The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

In my mind, this is a 1 Flagrant T Situation. Granted, giving him 2 costs him an additional 2 shots, but why bother.

To sum up what a lot of other people have said: Grow some nads and whack him, at least once. Do the paperwork required. Enjoy a more peaceful 2nd half.

Profanity on the court in a high school is an Automatic T From me whether it's directed at someone, or of you're just pissed off at yourself for missing a layup. It has no place in a high school game. The one exception I may make is if someone loses a kneecap or something and goes down writhing in pain, but even that is going to be given a quick hard look.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

this was worse -- this was a chew out at halftime outside the officials locker room
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 07:30am
Lighten up, Francis.

Funny that this should come up so recently. Last night, my partner T'd the home coach. We seatbelted him and he coached the rest of the night. No further incident.

But guess where we were changing? That's right. In the home coach's office. So after the game, he lets himself into the office to discuss why he got the T. I was in the shower when he first came in. Fortunately, when I got out of the shower, the conversation was mostly cordial. I wish my partner had just told him to wait till after we were dressed.

It turned out fine. It could've been ugly, though.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Funny that this should come up so recently. Last night, my partner T'd the home coach. We seatbelted him and he coached the rest of the night. No further incident.

But guess where we were changing? That's right. In the home coach's office. So after the game, he lets himself into the office to discuss why he got the T. I was in the shower when he first came in. Fortunately, when I got out of the shower, the conversation was mostly cordial. I wish my partner had just told him to wait till after we were dressed.

It turned out fine. It could've been ugly, though.
Naked and half-dressed refs isn't ugly enough!?!?!
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 10:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Naked and half-dressed refs isn't ugly enough!?!?!
Not in my case.

I used to sell tickets......

It's true, it's true......
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Question Assessing a Technical Foul off the visual confines.

Are there any references in the rules that allow you to assess a technical foul, while off the visual confines of the playing court???
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_ref
Are there any references in the rules that allow you to assess a technical foul, while off the visual confines of the playing court???
Yes. 2-2.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

???

Did you mean Rule 2, section 3???
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_ref
Did you mean Rule 2, section 3???
2-2 works.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment.

This incident happened almost two weeks ago. At an association meeting a couple nights later, I was told some board members had been discussing it but they had not determined a certain course of action. Even though they knew I was a witness, they didn't approach me at the meeting, I had to approach them. There was mention of re-arrangements of the officials dressing area and access to the key, and re-assignments of officials to avoid contacts between the parties. When I heard what they were considering as a response, I shared that I was disappointed and hoped they would do something much stronger. I have heard virtually nothing from the association about this since. The unspoken message is, "Please be quiet. Ignore what you witnessed."

If you knew more of the facts you would be even more outraged. There were some mitigating factors that influenced A's actions and if you knew those I'm certain you would be more sympathetic to his predicament.

I'm deeply disappointed in my association and am concerned they will let this pass. It is a gross violation of the Codes of Ethics for the coaches, officials, game management, and the high school sports association. I've communicated my concerns to the association president, a couple board members, the assigner, and offered support to A. Is there something else I could or should do?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment.

This incident happened almost two weeks ago. At an association meeting a couple nights later, I was told some board members had been discussing it but they had not determined a certain course of action. Even though they knew I was a witness, they didn't approach me at the meeting, I had to approach them. There was mention of re-arrangements of the officials dressing area and access to the key, and re-assignments of officials to avoid contacts between the parties. When I heard what they were considering as a response, I shared that I was disappointed and hoped they would do something much stronger. I have heard virtually nothing from the association about this since. The unspoken message is, "Please be quiet. Ignore what you witnessed."

If you knew more of the facts you would be even more outraged. There were some mitigating factors that influenced A's actions and if you knew those I'm certain you would be more sympathetic to his predicament.

I'm deeply disappointed in my association and am concerned they will let this pass. It is a gross violation of the Codes of Ethics for the coaches, officials, game management, and the high school sports association. I've communicated my concerns to the association president, a couple board members, the assigner, and offered support to A. Is there something else I could or should do?
Sounds like you've done what you can. From the sound of things you've intimated it's gotten political, and if you try to push any harder it's only likely to blow up in your face. One thing I would suggest is that you sit down and write a summary of the events, being sure to clearly distinguish your observations from your opinions. Print a copy, sign & date it and file it away. That way, if it ever does come up again you have something you can refer back to.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:52pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Sounds like you've done what you can. From the sound of things you've intimated it's gotten political, and if you try to push any harder it's only likely to blow up in your face. One thing I would suggest is that you sit down and write a summary of the events, being sure to clearly distinguish your observations from your opinions. Print a copy, sign & date it and file it away. That way, if it ever does come up again you have something you can refer back to.
Good call, Tim.