The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

yup easy ejection -- who cares if I DONT work at said school -- this goes back to my rant in another thread -- grow some @#$@# dignity and pride and self-respect. In this instance if the coach had me cornered and I tried to get away and he kept cornering me he might find himself on the floor along with an ejection.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 12:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
yup easy ejection -- who cares if I DONT work at said school -- this goes back to my rant in another thread -- grow some @#$@# dignity and pride and self-respect. In this instance if the coach had me cornered and I tried to get away and he kept cornering me he might find himself on the floor along with an ejection.
What in the world does dignity, pride and self-respect have to do with this thread (as it relates to the officials)?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Official A and B showed lack of dignity to stand up for themselves -- lack of pride in what they do in thier failure to punish said coach and no self-respect for taking such verbal abuse -- I could be wrong but what the OP described sounded like a lack of all 3 to me.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 12:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Official A and B showed lack of dignity to stand up for themselves -- lack of pride in what they do in thier failure to punish said coach and no self-respect for taking such verbal abuse -- I could be wrong but what the OP described sounded like a lack of all 3 to me.
I think the officials held onto their dignity and maintained their professionalism by not showing indignation.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

no they didnt -- they let the coach get away with that with no punishment...official B it appeared didnt even try to help A out -- and it seemed like his response was well "your new at this school so you gotta pay your dues and take it in the behind"

but I could be reading it wrong -- maybe he was offering A verbal support "go get em buddy" "you got em" "dont let up" -- BadNewsref said it best

Coach, open the g** d@mn door and get the f**k out of my face
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I realize that the first emotion for many is to go off on the coach and curse him out. That would have likely done nothing but give the coach ammo to behave worse than he already has and to blame you for the confrontation.

I have had a similar situation happen to me after a game and I told the coach that he need to leave right now because we are not discussing what happen in the game. I did not realize when I first read this that the game was still going on, but I think the officials handled themselves wonderfully considering the fact the game was not over. He would have likely been T'd if not ejected from the game. We might have had to talk about it in the locker room.

But to say they showed a lack of dignity to not lower themselves to the level of the coach is absurd to me.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

i never said lower themselves to the level of the coach

Quote:
As invited, I went to the officials’ room at halftime. As I passed through the locker area and went around a corner to wait in front of the officials’ dressing room, Coach was screaming about someone with no restraint about his volume or his profanities. A moment later, the officials entered the area and I realized Coach had been waiting there to confront A. He verbally attacked A -- screamed at him, used several profanities, screamed about several calls/no-calls, screamed that he should go back to where he came from (A just rejoined our association after being out of area for several years), etc., etc. Any attempts by A to respond were interrupted by more screaming. As mentioned, I was just around a corner and did not see this -- I only heard this portion of the tirade. This continued for perhaps a minute or so, then they all came around the corner so the coach could unlock the officials’ locker room. At that point I both heard and saw as the shouting continued (it never abated) as Coach unlocked the door and I followed A and B into the officials’ room. I do not recall at any time during the verbal attack hearing B attempt to mitigate the confrontation or intercede on A’s behalf.
do you just stand there cornered? what do you do if you cannot get any words in? this isnt MLK's nonviolent sit-ins -- but in this case this official needs to be a bit more assertive IMO. And when he has a second alone with his partner slap the he!! out of him for not trying to defuse the situation. And its ok to stand up for yourself in this situation -- I mean you dont have to cold cock the guy unless you feel threatened in such a way but it sounds like they let him step all over them as a crew.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
do you just stand there cornered?
What were they supposed to do, fight him?

Quote:
what do you do if you cannot get any words in?
I would have hoped that I let the coach just talk himself out. What else can you say but "Can you let me into the room please?"

Quote:
this isnt MLK's nonviolent sit-ins -- but in this case this official needs to be a bit more assertive IMO.
Dude, this is not a protest march or sit-in. This is not a Civil Rights issue. This is a person overreacting to an issue in a sporting event. This did not take place in a bar or in the parking lot which I might handle totally different.

Quote:
And when he has a second alone with his partner slap the he!! out of him for not trying to defuse the situation. And its ok to stand up for yourself in this situation -- I mean you dont have to cold cock the guy unless you feel threatened in such a way but it sounds like they let him step all over them as a crew.
That is fine if you feel that way. I do not agree with you that you need to get upset or act as if you are about to fight. There is a time and there is a place. This is not the time or the place to act like a fool and then it becomes a "he said, he said" situation. Now if you want to fight everyone in that situation that is your choice. I think you do not need to "lower yourself" to that level because you are confronted by a coach. At the very least, I would just keep walking and tell the coach "You need to get out of my way." But yelling and screaming back is not going to do much of anything. You still have another half to go.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
A: "Coach, open the g** d@mn door and get the f**k out of my face"
Of course I was joking above. But seriously, hopefully the coach would not have a had a chance to earn a T with me. The first words out of his mouth I would have interupted him and said "Coach, you need to let us in the room and leave us be. We will not engage you in any conversation at this time."
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

In addition to technical fouls coming out in the second half. I will call my association breif them on what happened and what my next actions are and if in any way there were personal threaths I would call the authorities to make sure to file a harrassment report.
That is truly harrassment. The FAns, Coaches, players feel that once you wear the stripes of black and white it gives them the ability to physically and verbally abuse us. I am at zero tolerance.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

A few things trouble me about this scenario.
1. The coach has an "approved" list of refs. The assignor should be the only one to approve refs. Letting a coach approve refs is like the fox guarding the henhouse.
2. Profanity is an automatic unsportsmanlike technical foul (unless you mutter "sh*t" after missing a hoop...) Directed at an official there is no reason not to call a technical.
3. The home coach has the key to the officials room. At a minimum I would change this to the home coach gives you the key pre-game. Giving a hothead a key to your sanctuary is not wise.
4. How can that official work the remainder of the game and not be biased after enduring continued verbal abuse? He is either afraid of losing assignments, afraid of the coach, a professional victim/punching bag. A senior official told me a long time ago: when you let a coach get into your head during a game...your toast...you are know thinking about what his reactions will be, will he be pleased, is he/she second guessing my calls etc...
Overall this sounds like a situation that needs some serious reconsideration. I would speak again with your assignor and co officials. Use this example as a case study to work on.
Thanks for bringing it up...it raises many good questions.

My first post!
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

welcome canuckref -- shall we start the bidding on how soon he figures out OS's schtick at $2 in 48 hours?

OS im just teasing you -- i love you man

I said the above about OS before I read his post in the thread about a T before the game...

Last edited by deecee; Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 03:32pm.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckref
1. The coach has an "approved" list of refs. The assignor should be the only one to approve refs. Letting a coach approve refs is like the fox guarding the henhouse.
In the real world, there are several states that operate like this. And.....it's kinda funny that about 90% of the stories posted here similar to this one about officials refusing to take care of bidness seem to come from the states that use this type of procedure. Sad but true.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What were they supposed to do, fight him?

I would have hoped that I let the coach just talk himself out. What else can you say but "Can you let me into the room please?"

Peace
You could immedately turn around and walk back out onto the court. If he choses to follow and continue, it will be visible to everyone.

Last thing I'd do is stand there and listen.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Cameron,

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Except I would go to the table and make sure that the book had 2 Ts registered in the book for the coach.