View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Question Your opinions please

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have been officiating sub-varsity basketball for just a few years and I’ve been visiting this site to learn from the experiences and opinions of others. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share.

An incident happened recently that I witnessed and I’m seeking your thoughts. As with all events, there are numerous side issues but I want to distill this and limit the discussion to some central questions.

A local high school has a successful basketball program with a well-known coach [Coach]. A few days ago, I attended their home game. Before the game, I had exchanged greetings with the two varsity officials [A and B], and they invited me to their locker room at halftime. By halftime, Coach’s team was soundly beating the opponent. I watched from high in the bleachers and didn’t notice any controversial official’s calls.

As invited, I went to the officials’ room at halftime. As I passed through the locker area and went around a corner to wait in front of the officials’ dressing room, Coach was screaming about someone with no restraint about his volume or his profanities. A moment later, the officials entered the area and I realized Coach had been waiting there to confront A. He verbally attacked A -- screamed at him, used several profanities, screamed about several calls/no-calls, screamed that he should go back to where he came from (A just rejoined our association after being out of area for several years), etc., etc. Any attempts by A to respond were interrupted by more screaming. As mentioned, I was just around a corner and did not see this -- I only heard this portion of the tirade. This continued for perhaps a minute or so, then they all came around the corner so the coach could unlock the officials’ locker room. At that point I both heard and saw as the shouting continued (it never abated) as Coach unlocked the door and I followed A and B into the officials’ room. I do not recall at any time during the verbal attack hearing B attempt to mitigate the confrontation or intercede on A’s behalf.

After the door was closed, A shared that he had been warned by “about twenty” other officials that Coach would test him. He reviewed the plays that had apparently upset Coach but felt comfortable with his calls and his officiating. He quoted a couple of the coach’s comments during the first half, including some profanities from the coaching box.

B stated that he was on Coach’s approved list of officials and he therefore gets a “pass” from Coach. He told A he had two choices -- he (A) could issue a technical foul or he could let it go. If he (A) issued the technical, he (B) would support him. No technical was issued at the start of the second half.

A told the association assigner and at least one other association board member about this incident. They are aware that I witnessed it.

Based on your experiences and the practices of your association, what do you think the following should have done differently or should do now?

A:
B:
Me:
The officials association:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinions.