The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 04:08pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Contact with the shooters arm preventing follow through does NOT affect the trajectory of the ball, ..... It most certainly does affect the overall shot however.
How can you say those two things in the same breath??!?! How can contact with the arm after the ball has been released "affect the overall shot"?

I'm seriously not understanding this.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 04:11pm
MABO Member

Then you have never had to rely on form and follow through as a shooter. Probably never played before.

We can go back and forth on this for ever. You believe what you want.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then you have never had to rely on form and follow through as a shooter. Probably never played before.

No idea why I'm getting into this, but it is a physical impossibility - yes, impossibility - for contact after the ball has been released to have any impact on the ball.

Follow-through is only important in that proper follow-through can only be achieved after proper technique prior to it, and therefore it is taught as part of good form.

Again, it is a physical impossibility for contact after a ball is released to impact the result of the shot.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you who don't like the airborne shooter, what about this scenario? (And it's entirely possible that there is a solution to this problem without Airborne Shooter, but I'm just interested to hear what people have to say.)

A1 pulls up for a jump shot. After releasing the ball, B1 fouls A1 from behind, causing A1's hand to hit the ball again and deflect the already released shot.

Is the just semantics, yes, probably so, but just an interesting take on the discussion IMO.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 04:46pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
No idea why I'm getting into this, but it is a physical impossibility - yes, impossibility - for contact after the ball has been released to have any impact on the ball.

Follow-through is only important in that proper follow-through can only be achieved after proper technique prior to it, and therefore it is taught as part of good form.
Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ah, there it is, the former player calling the game as a ref like they wanted it called as a player...incorrectly.

Follow through is the continuation of proper form.

If you stop your follow through, it will affect your shot, because you changed the way you performed the shot...YOU ALTERED THE MOTION...if you did everything correct through release and then someone else stops your follow through it changes NOTHING!

If I have a perfect golf swing, and I had a full and complete swing back and through the ball and then I hit a root or a branch on my follow through, are you telling me my shot gets messed up?

I hit a baseball, squarely and the bat flies out of my hands on the follow through, is the ball traveling less far?
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 05:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I was a 4-year varsity player in HS. 2-years as starting point guard. But I also took physics in HS. . .
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I was a 4-year varsity player in HS. 2-years as starting point guard. But I also took physics in HS. . .
Aren't you also a Ranger's fan?

Can't be that smart...

But, I do agree with you in this case.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was a point guard in high school and shooting guard in college. I can tell you that once the ball leaves your hand, the contact DOESN'T change the outcome at all. ~ I was hit in the forearm many times in college and it was rarely called. Guess what, I usually new before I was touched whether or not it was going in or not..........and the contact didn't affect the result.

What does change the shot, is that we shooters will either: rush the shot or flick the wrist rather than smoothly following through to make sure the shot doesn't get blocked. The moral of the story is to take a normal shot, follow through properly and if it gets blocked then you weren't open enough to shoot. If you get fouled, you have a great chance at a 4-point play!
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 08:42pm
In Memoriam

Had a player whine for a foul last week.
I told him I thought the contact on his wrist "was after the ball was gone".
He agreed that it was ex post facto.

But then, he resolutely said it "just seems like it makes a difference".
I agreed ... it does "just seem" that way.

Mental toughness required.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 08:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I wasn't the point guard cuz the balls were right-handed.
I was the #2 guard cuz that was what my shot looked like.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 08:58am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Ah, there it is, the former player calling the game as a ref like they wanted it called as a player...incorrectly.
Yes former player and OFFICIAL for 25 years. You can't accept the fact that players can also officiate. I never said I call a foul, so don't make things up.

Quote:
Follow through is the continuation of proper form.
Totally agree with you. Never was in Question.

Quote:
If you stop your follow through, it will affect your shot, because you changed the way you performed the shot...YOU ALTERED THE MOTION...if you did everything correct through release and then someone else stops your follow through it changes NOTHING!
HUH! You say if I stop my follow through motion myself it will affect the shot. Yet if someone else stops the MOTION it wont. Contradictory statement.

You can believe what you want. I have made my statement and will stand by it.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:07am
MABO Member

In Agreement with;

- The fact contacting the arm after the ball has left the hand will not affect trajectory of the ball.
- Not all contact should be called a foul, each situation has to be evaluated on its own.
- Contacting player during follow through changes said follow through.

I.M.O. - notice this is still my opinion.

- Changing the follow thorugh will change the overall shot, I feel that complete follow though is essential to having good form and leads to higher quality shooting. If you cant follow through then you don't have good form.

- Because my opinion is different from yours does not give you the right to make less of it. As I have read in several other posts some tend to attack those who post with an opinion that is different.

Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:09am
MABO Member

Quote:
My apologies ....

Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Smoke...Think it through. Think of the jump shot as a stop action film. For a player to stop his follow-through, things must happen to the shot's form BEFORE THE BALL IS RELEASED that will affect the quality of the shot. WHen a player is hit AFTER THE BALL IS RELEASED, nothing has happened up to that point that will affect the shot. Once the ball is gone, what happens to the player is inconsequential to the shot. In fact, if you looked at a good shooter's form comparing two films...one of a shot taken, no foul, and one of a shot taken with contact after the ball is gone, the film would likely be identical.