The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation 2 strange questions...

BV game;
during warm-ups, a player was wearing an Ipod....what is the ruling on this?

also, during the 3 quarter of a blowout (40 point rule/running clock in effect), the coach of the team that is winning gets up from his seat, walks down the sideline along the bench toward the baseline and continues to walk out of the gym (while the ball is in play). He doesn't coach, yell, attract attention to himself, he just walks out. Being a blowout, my partner and I went on with business as usual. About 5 minutes later, the coach came back and sat down. Any thoughts? A number of reasons crossed my mind (maybe he was sick, emergency phone call)...he didn't cause a scene or anything bizarre. thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
BV game;

also, during the 3 quarter of a blowout (40 point rule/running clock in effect), the coach of the team that is winning gets up from his seat, walks down the sideline along the bench toward the baseline and continues to walk out of the gym (while the ball is in play). He doesn't coach, yell, attract attention to himself, he just walks out. Being a blowout, my partner and I went on with business as usual. About 5 minutes later, the coach came back and sat down. Any thoughts? A number of reasons crossed my mind (maybe he was sick, emergency phone call)...he didn't cause a scene or anything bizarre. thoughts?
wow those are two strange ones! coach is a fool for letting his kid wear an i-pod in warmups, but i am not aware of any rule that would prohibit this. kid could wear a mr. t. gold chain in warmups if he wants as long as he has it off come game time...

as far as the second one i guess technically you could call him out of the box, but under the circumstances the no call seems correct..maybe he just couldn't hold it for another minute, we've all been there! again, have never seen this specifically addressed anywhere though...

man this is a strange game sometimes...
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

i dont see anything wrong with either -- the rule says a player cannot leave the confines (i am not sure if it specifies unantended or not) -- but if the coach left he must have had a reason. hopefully there is an assistant there to take over responsibility for the team or the captain in his absence.

just make sure the ipod comes out before the game starts
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:51pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
BV game;

1. Have the player immediately remove the illegal equipment. (3.5.B)
2. No violation or foul.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would ask the kid to take the IPOD off during warmups. Just like we make the earrings come out during warmups. Just like we make the rubber bands come off the wrists in warm ups. Its just not appropriate.

I wouldn't do anything about the coach leaving either. I wouldn't stop a player from going to the locker room either. The consequences could be messy.

Last edited by Ignats75; Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 03:56pm.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

we cannot make anything come out during warmups -- we make suggestions and hope they comply -- they are NOT allowed to play with earrings -- there is nothing that prohibts them during warmups.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
we cannot make anything come out during warmups -- we make suggestions and hope they comply -- they are NOT allowed to play with earrings -- there is nothing that prohibts them during warmups.
exactly...
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

it sounds like it is a question of whether or not it is illegal during warm ups; obviously they can't wear earrings and the like during the game, but (and i dont have my rulebook infront of me) unless it is clearly illegal during warm ups, i guess no harm no foul.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'd tell him to remove the Ipod. I'd use rule 2-3.

Keep in mind that if during the warm ups anything happens to him, a fall, a trip anything and his gets his ears damaged and you knew he had the Ipod in, you can be held responsible.

The second one, Nothing, the man had to go to the BR.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:00pm
(Something hilarious)

Deecee and kbilla - see the Case Play I cited above. (A lesser HawkeyeCubP once mistakenly thought the same thing.) You're mistaken.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
wow those are two strange ones! coach is a fool for letting his kid wear an i-pod in warmups, but i am not aware of any rule that would prohibit this. kid could wear a mr. t. gold chain in warmups if he wants as long as he has it off come game time...
Are you serious? See case book play 3.5SitB. Been in there for years. If he wants to wear a Mr. T chain, he ain't gonna be doing it on the court during the officials' jurisdiction, if the officials know the rules.

The Ipod is a no-no too. Anything that is a possible danger to others isn't allowed.

Geeze, what next? A kid trying to make a lay-up in warmup while carrying a boombox?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 04:09pm.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

how is the ipod a danger to others -- hes shooting layups and midrange jumpers.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
exactly...
Exactly WRONG.....
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

okay so no Ipod (and no technical for it) and coach leaving & coming back as described is okay; agreed?
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
how is the ipod a danger to others -- hes shooting layups and midrange jumpers.
If you ever do manage to find your elusive rule books, read 3-5-1 and 3.5SitA. As well as the one about jewelry in warmups, of course--3.5SitB.