The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

there already are a bunch of table crews that are certifiable!!!!!!!!
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Wrong - simply not true. ANY penalty can be declined, this is a football fundamental. Often times we don't ask the team since its automatic that they will accept it but the team does have the option to decline it. Look it up.
FWIW (and I know I'm coming into this late), the DISTANCE part of any penalty can be declined. (I.e., if you eject the visiting coach for two USC penalties, the home team can't say - 'nah, we want him to stay.')

Also, Chuck, I'm not sure if you've sent in the form yet, but I'd love to see the clock stopped after made baskets in the last minute of play.

5-8 would have to be changed to the following:

Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when:
ART. 1 . . . An official signals:
a. A foul.
b. A held ball.
c. A violation.

ART. 2 . . . An official stops play:
a. Because of an injury as in 3-3-5, 6.
b. To confer with the scorer or timer.
c. Because of unusual delay in getting a dead ball live.
d. For any other situations or any emergency.

ART. 3 . . . An official grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:
a. The ball is in control or at the disposal of a player of his/her team.
b. The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player (s), or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a susbstitute(s) is available and required.

ART. 4 . . . An official responds to the scorer's signal to grant a coach's request that a correctable error, as in 2-10, or a timing, scoring or alternating-posession mistake be prevented or rectified. The appeal to the official shall be presented at the scorer's table where a coach of each team may be present.

ART. 5 . . . After a made basket:
a. If the clock displays tenths of a second, when 59.9 seconds or less remains in the fourth quarter or in any overtime period.
b. If the clock does not display tenths of a second, when 59 seconds or less remains in the fourth quarter or in any overtime period.

In addition, 2-12-6 would have to be modified:

ART. 6 . . . Stop the clock at the expiration of time for each quarter or extra period, ---and--- when an official signals time-out, as in 5-8-1 through 5-8-4 and when a basket is scored in the last minute of the fourth quarter or any overtime period, as in 5-8-5. For an intermission or charged time-out, start the stopwatch and signal the referee as outlined in Article 5.

I would also want to come up with a proposal for foul-buzzer-shot, but I want to know that you're still accepting applications before typing up that one.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter

Also, Chuck, I'm not sure if you've sent in the form yet, but I'd love to see the clock stopped after made baskets in the last minute of play.

I DISAGREE!!!

All we need is to have several more opportunities for amateur clock operators to mess up the clock. There is no existing problem so why change it (and just because the NBA and NCAA do it is not sufficient justification). A team has the ability to stop the clock at this point if they've not burned all their timeouts. If the have none left, too bad...that's the consequences.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Mar 11, 2007 at 01:41am.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter

ART. 5 . . . After a made basket:
a. If the clock displays tenths of a second, when 59.9 seconds or less remains in the fourth quarter or in any overtime period.
b. If the clock does not display tenths of a second, when 59 seconds or less remains in the fourth quarter or in any overtime period.
Now, if such a thing did go through, this could be so much simpler...

After a made basket when less than 60 seconds remains in the 4th quarter or overtime.

No need to differentiate between clock equipment.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
Since NFHS is big on administrative rule changes, I have one:

2-11-1-Note: It is recommended required the team member numbers be submitted and entered into the official scorebook in numerical order.

To address a pet peeve of mine.
I understand the reasoning behind this proposed change. However, my question would be what if there was an unusually large roster and there were more names than spaces available? The team for which I keep the book (at the Division III level) had 16 players on its roster this season (with 15 spaces for each team per game in the book). One visiting team this year had 19 players on the squad. Maybe it's different in high school and there is a cap on the number of players. In my experience at the college level, however, strictly enforcing this would be a problem. If there wasn't some flexibility, it would be difficult to keep track of fouls and points if, for example, #50 and #55 were squeezed into the same space if each played a significant number of minutes. Invariably (at least in most games) if there is a large number of players, there are several players that won't play. I would fit the numbers and names of those players into the same space and would forget about putting the roster in numerical order.