The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:19pm
Esteemed Participant

A fine example of why the NCAA mechanic of allowing us to bounce the ball across the key to the inbounder is a GREAT mechanic!! Inbounder can go to the other side if he/she wants to and we don't have to switch or rotate or anything...yep, I like it.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:43pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
A fine example of why the NCAA women's mechanic of allowing us to bounce the ball across the key to the inbounder is a GREAT mechanic!!
Not for the men's side though. I don't really like it all that much.

Quote:
Inbounder can go to the other side if he/she wants to and we don't have to switch or rotate or anything.
Yeah, that extra 5-7 seconds to switch really slows down the game.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Why don't you like it?

I would like to see the men's side adopt this.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:48pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

Yeah, that extra 5-7 seconds to switch really slows down the game.
I didn't realize the men's side didn't do this...hmmm - they should. And it's not the time factor, it's the fact that I might have to jog an extra 40 feet or so to get into a different position when it's not necessary - just bounce it across and let me save my energy!!
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:51pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Why don't you like it?

I would like to see the men's side adopt this.
1) It's just not that hard to switch. So it doesn't really save any significant time or effort. So I'd just as soon do it like every other throw-in.

2) Purely aesthetics, but I think it looks a little lazy. I realize that's a purely subjective thing. But it's just my preference.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I dunno.
Partners will generally adjust to administrating official after a time-out, I think.
On a designated spot throw-in, yes I would agree. But if the player is free to run the baseline why would I make my partners move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
BNR...you keep saying that you have never had a coach ask you what we are discussing.
...and the rest of my statement was "so I've never had to think about it." I in no way discounted the merits of this discussion. Please go back and read all the words in all of my posts.

So here is a question since Dan said after a time-out the coach can request to have the throw-in anywhere he wanted.
A1 retrieves ball after made basket, Team B is pressing, A1 runs to the table-side corner of the endline, realizes he can't get the ball inbounds and requests a TO. Before Team A huddles up Coach A tells you he wants to begin his throw-in at the opposite corner of the base-line.
Do you grant his request?

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 01:49pm.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
So here is a question since Dan said after a time-out the coach can request to have the throw-in anywhere he wanted.
A1 retrieves ball after made basket, Team B is pressing, A1 runs to the table-side corner of the endline, realizes he can't get the ball inbounds and requests a TO. Before Team A huddles up Coach A tells you he wants to begin his throw-in at the opposite corner of the base-line.
I do.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
On a designated spot throw-in, yes I would agree. But if the player is free to run the baseline why would I make my partners move?

...and the rest of my statement was "so I've never had to think about it." I in no way discounted the merits of this discussion. Please go back and read all the words in all of my posts.

Already answered. Case book play 7.5.7SitC(d) says that team A may take their throw-in after the TO from anywhere OOB along the endline. They can pick where they want to start, except in the lane of course.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Let's review: the throw-in is not at any spot, the player is entitled to be anywhere behind the endline from the start to the finish of the throw-in. Where the player is standing when he's granted a timeout does not change that fact.

So based on what rule, exactly, do you not grant his request?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Another question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Already answered. Case book play 7.5.7SitC(d) says that team A may take their throw-in after the TO from anywhere OOB along the endline. They can pick where they want to start, except in the lane of course.
Not being argumentative, just trying learn.
B2 fouls A2 as such that Team A will again have a throw-in with privileges to run the baseline. Do we start the throw-in anywhere or do we start it at point nearest the foul?
Reason I have been debating this situation so much is that I always interpreted "from anywhere OOB along the endline" as meaning the team could run the baseline, I never interpreted it literally as that the team could also request to start the throw-in at any point along the baseline. And as I wrote earlier, I've never had the situation come up so I've never had to think about it before.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 02:10pm.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

If the situation is as described in the OP, just put the ball in play on the side that the coach wants. There are SOOOOOO many other things in a game that are more important to worry about!!!! This isn't one of them....

BTW - anyone remember the UK vs Duke game (aka The Greatest College Game Ever)? Remember that Kentucky scored a basket w/ :02.1 left - Duke then takes a TO (no "spot" determined). Even though the crew wants C opposite the table for last second shot duties, where does Duke put it in? You guessed it, on the endline opposite the table. I'm betting that Duke asked for that side and the official (Tim Higgins) obliged them......take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-iq58_oz4

Guys don't get into a power trip with the coaches on this; let 'em inbound where they want in this situation. What do you care where it gets put in?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
B2 fouls A2 as such that Team A will again have a throw-in with privileges to run the baseline. Do we start the throw-in anywhere or do we start it at point nearest the foul?
Reason I have been debating this situation so much is that I always interpreted "from anywhere OOB along the endline" as meaning the team could run the baseline, I never interpreted it literally as that the team could also request to start the throw-in at any point along the baseline.
The answer to your question is "anywhere" imo, News. There's nothing in the rules that I know of that says that they can't start the throw-in anywhere that they want along the endline, if it's an unrestricted throw-in.