The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach wants specific side on endline... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31177-coach-wants-specific-side-endline.html)

RookieDude Wed Jan 24, 2007 09:31am

Coach wants specific side on endline...

Official told me this happened to him the other day.

Coming out of a time-out, after a made basket by Team A...Coach B wants to know if it is alright to have the endline throw-in on the side (of the basket) closest to his bench. (He said he had already designed a play for that side.)

Questions:
Would you tell the Coach that you would stay in the same alignment that your crew was in on the made basket?

Would you tell the Coach that his player could simply run to that side if they needed to run a play designed for that side of the basket?

Would you tell the Coach, "no problem", and switch to the desired side that the coach requested? (Realizing that you have now created a switch in positions of the new L and new C.)

mick Wed Jan 24, 2007 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
Official told me this happened to him the other day.

Coming out of a time-out, after a made basket by Team A...Coach B wants to know if it is alright to have the endline throw-in on the side (of the basket) closest to his bench. (He said he had already designed a play for that side.)

Questions:
Would you tell the Coach that you would stay in the same alignment that your crew was in on the made basket?

Would you tell the Coach that his player could simply run to that side if they needed to run a play designed for that side of the basket?

Would you tell the Coach, "no problem", and switch to the desired side that the coach requested? (Realizing that you have now created a switch in positions of the new L and new C.)

Would tell the Coach, "no problem", and switch to the desired side that the coach requested. (Partners coming from blocks or top of circle are not troubled.)

Jway44 Wed Jan 24, 2007 09:44am

Sounds to me like if it is after a made basket, he has the whole end line to run. Put the ball in play where you had designated to your crew as the TO was called. If that is not the side he wants to run the play from, then his playeris free to move to that spot after you administer the ball. Don't let a coach tell you where to put the ball at any time. JMO.

Ignats75 Wed Jan 24, 2007 09:45am

Quote:

Player can run the baseline. Doesn't matter where the "spot" is. However, the "spot" is not an option. There is only 1 place it can be for a spot throw-in: the closest point on the sideline or baseline to where the action that caused the deadball to occur. (Those are my words not the rules since I couldn't find my Official's Manual that discusses out of bounds locations.)

Unless, of course, the action happens in the paint. THen all bets are off. I, however, have never had a coach request a side. I have had them ask where the in-bounds would be, but never ask for a change of my call where it will be:eek:. How would you feel as the opposing coach if you heard THAT conversation? No way would I let a coach dictate anything like that to me.

Junker Wed Jan 24, 2007 09:49am

Not a big deal. I'd go to the side he wanted.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 24, 2007 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75
Player can run the baseline. Doesn't matter where the "spot" is. However, the "spot" is not an option. There is only 1 place it can be for a spot throw-in: the closest point on the sideline or baseline to where the action that caused the deadball to occur. (Those are my words not the rules since I couldn't find my Official's Manual that discusses out of bounds locations.)

Unless, of course, the action happens in the paint. Then all bets are off. I, however, have never had a coach request a side. I have had them ask where the in-bounds would be, but never ask for a change of my call where it will be:eek:. How would you feel as the opposing coach if you heard THAT conversation? No way would I let a coach dictate anything like that to me.

Good points, except the ball was made dead by the basket. There is no location closest to the ball in this case. There is no 'spot' in this case. Move to the other side, wait for your partner(s) to adjust, remind the players he can run the line and put the ball in play.

Ignats75 Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:02am

Right. I just wasn't clear. Those are two separate situations. Brevity isn't always the best.

Raymond Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Good points, except the ball was made dead by the basket. There is no location closest to the ball in this case. There is no 'spot' in this case. Move to the other side, wait for your partner(s) to adjust, remind the players he can run the line and put the ball in play.

Unless of course the ball was already at someone's disposal when the TO request was made.

But, I've never had a coach request a certain spot to begin a non-designated spot throw-in so I've never had to think about it.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Unless of course the ball was already at someone's disposal when the TO request was made.

I would be interested to see if you can provide a rule for this (not saying you can't, just too lazy to look myself).

Anyway, consider yourself challenged :)

mick Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:38am

Quote:

I have had an in-thrower, after a score, request a time out in a press situation, and then allowed the end-line throw-in when the teams returned.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:06am

Quote:

That don't make no nevermind. Case book play 7.5.7SitC(d). They can still throw-in from anywhere along the endline after the TO.

Raymond Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I would be interested to see if you can provide a rule for this (not saying you can't, just too lazy to look myself).

Anyway, consider yourself challenged :)

You said the ball is always dead when these time-outs are requested. My point is that the ball is not always dead. Sometimes it is live because it is a the disposal of the throw-in team. So in those cases I start the thrower-in at the appropriate spot but remind him/her that they still have the privilege of running the base-line.

And as I stated previously, I've never had a coach ask me to start the throw-in from a specific spot, they always just want to confirm that their player can run the base-line.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:23am

Quote:

You said the ball is always dead when these time-outs are requested. My point is that the ball is not always dead. Sometimes it is live because it is a the disposal of the throw-in team. So in those cases I start the thrower-in at the appropriate spot but remind him/her that they still have the privilege of running the base-line.

Yeahbut what I'm saying is even in this case I will let him start at whatever side he wants. Why? Because the ball was not made dead at a spot, it was made dead at the endline. He's entitled to be anywhere on the endline - start, middle or finish of the throw-in.

If you have a rule to show I'm wrong I would be glad to see it.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:23am

Quote:

So....what if the thrower is right in the middle of the paint when the TO is called. Would you still pick a side, or let the coach choose which side to start?

Jway44 Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
So....what if the thrower is right in the middle of the paint when the TO is called. Would you still pick a side, or let the coach choose which side to start?

Or even worse, would you put the ball in play directly under the basket? :D