The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Here is one:
A1 has a fastbreak layup all alone, takes the shot and misses, his monentum takes him out of bounds. My Question is Can He touch the ball before another player touches it (can he now get his own rebound seeing that he has gone out of bounds and no other player has touched the ball yet)
Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
As long as he has reestablished himself in-bounds he can get his own rebound. The ball was SHOT and therefore no team control exist on a shot, throw-in, jump ball and or dead ball, Legal Play!

------------------
Don
Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 03:07am
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by DEW on 01-01-2000 11:59 PM
Here is one:
A1 has a fastbreak layup all alone, takes the shot and misses, his monentum takes him out of bounds. My Question is Can He touch the ball before another player touches it (can he now get his own rebound seeing that he has gone out of bounds and no other player has touched the ball yet)

As Alaska ref says above, as long as he establishes himself before touching, he's OK (NF rules). I just wanted to clarify that he only has to have one foot back inbounds to establish. Although the myth about having to touch both feet inbounds to establish has just about died out, there are still some who think this is the case.

In fact, let's assume the ball didn't hit anything and A1 was quick enough to return to the court and catch the ball when it came down. Still OK, as long as the official felt it was a legitimate shot attempt.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Just to add to this post....it doesn't need to be a shot attempt....If there is a long outlet pass to A2 by A1, but it is about to go out-of-bounds, A2 can save the ball from going out-of-bounds, step out-of-bounds, and then get back in-bounds, and be the first player to touch the ball. This is one of those rules everyone thinks exist, but doesn't.....YES you can get your own save.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thanks Mark for Jogging my memory, the NF has in 1999/2000 "Points of Emphasis" page 70, #5--In Bounds/Out of Bounds, expelled the misapplication of the principle.

------------------
Don