The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
So....what if the thrower is right in the middle of the paint when the TO is called. Would you still pick a side, or let the coach choose which side to start?
If the coach asked for a side I would fulfill the request. If no request is made I would look to see where my parter(s) gravitated to and adjust accordingly.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
He's entitled to be anywhere on the endline - start, middle or finish of the throw-in.
Well, maybe not the middle. Outside the FT lane extended maybe.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Yeahbut what I'm saying is even in this case I will let him start at whatever side he wants. Why? Because the ball was not made dead at a spot, it was made dead at the endline. He's entitled to be anywhere on the endline - start, middle or finish of the throw-in.

If you have a rule to show I'm wrong I would be glad to see it.
I didn't say you were wrong about putting the ball in where the coach requested, I said you were wrong for saying the ball is always dead. (I've been reading to many of Jurassic's posts )
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
If the coach asked for a side I would fulfill the request. If no request is made I would look to see where my parter(s) gravitated to and adjust accordingly.
Agree. Isn't that what Dan was arguing about too?

I get soooooo confused sometimes.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BadNewsRef] I've never had a coach ask me to start the throw-in from a specific spot[/ QUOTE]

BNR...you keep saying that you have never had a coach ask you what we are discussing. In 18 years of officiating, either have I. But, what difference does that really make...it happened to an official, I was asked, and IMO...the sitch can be used as a learning tool.

We, as officials, should strive to be consistent with our calls (or non-calls)...as seen here, we have different ideas as to what we would do in this situation.

FWIW...I told the official that I would have no problem with putting the ball in play on either side of the basket...as long as our crew had not already "set up" for the throw-in. IOW...if I was ready to administer the TI, I would not "switch" to the other side at the coach's request.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:34am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I dunno.
Partners will generally adjust to administrating official after a time-out, I think.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I have a hard time with the whole fulfilling the coach's request thing. If a time out is called, I try to indicate to my partner(s), where the ball will be put in play right away. This isn't the reason I do it, but it sure works for this situation too. Since I've already indicated where the throw-in will be, there's no reason for the discussion.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

But there's no rules basis for refusing the coach's request if he makes it early enough.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

No, but the mechanic does require one specific place for a throw-in, as I stated before. So unless the ball was dead in the middle of the lane, there's no option as to where the throw-in will originate by rule.

Again, keeping in mind that on the OP, this was after a made basket and the team will have the entire baseline.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
FWIW...I told the official that I would have no problem with putting the ball in play on either side of the basket...as long as our crew had not already "set up" for the throw-in. IOW...if I was ready to administer the TI, I would not "switch" to the other side at the coach's request.
It takes....what....5 seconds for every official to switch? I just don't think that it's really a big deal myself. I am gonna allow the defense time to re-set too though. That's only fair.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
No, but the mechanic does require one specific place for a throw-in, as I stated before. So unless the ball was dead in the middle of the lane, there's no option as to where the throw-in will originate by rule.
What rule?

Please cite it.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books with me at work. Ball must be inbounded, though, at the point closest to where the ball was located when it became dead. Correct? Or am I confused and this is just in the Official's Manual?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
I don't have my books with me at work. Ball must be inbounded, though, at the point closest to where the ball was located when it became dead. Correct? Or am I confused and this is just in the Official's Manual?
It's a made basket, so there is no place closest to where it became dead. It does not need to be inbounded from any spot, since the player can move to anywhere along that endline. I'm hard enough to deal with as an official, I'm not going to enforce things that aren't there.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It takes....what....5 seconds for every official to switch? I just don't think that it's really a big deal myself. I am gonna allow the defense time to re-set too though. That's only fair.
I hear you JR...but, I just don't think this looks too "clean". Once we are ready to put the ball in play...I wouldn't really like the coach shouting over to me to "switch" sides, again JMO.

Yes, maybe it would take only "5 seconds"...but, it might be argued the switching action disrupts the "flow". Also, now that the coach sees his "power'...will he abuse it, in these situations? i.e. Tight game...he likes the way one official lets um' bang on the boards...so he has the crew position itself with that official as L. Probably way over a Coach's thought process ...so I'll stick with the "clean" and "flow" argument.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Snaqwells. I am aware of that. I think we have too many thought strands going here. When I responded to the OP first, that was what I stated. Then the thread got off on the tangent of a spot throw-in. Now we all keep jumping back and forth between the two situations.

After a made basket, it won't matter where the spot is, since the player has the entire endline, and therefore the coach has no need to request a specific spot. The whole conversation is moot.

However, IF there is a spot, unless the ball became dead EXACTLY in the middle of the lane, the rules (or at the very least mechanics guidelines) require that there is only 1 spot the ball can be inbounded from.

Is that clearer?????

And rook, I agree. Additionally, as I said before, how will the OTHER coach feel if he sees you change floor position on request? IF I were a coach, I'd be pretty upset, thinking some gamersmanship was going on. He could argue, WAIT! I set up my defense thinking the ball was going to be on that side and you just changed it on request???????

Last edited by Ignats75; Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 12:19pm.