The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

T'd up

I pulled a bonehead move Saturday. Called for a timeout when not in possesion of the ball. I was given the TO and assessed a technical. I had TO's available so that wasn't the issue. From what I can see in the book (5-8-3), I should not have been awarded the TO, and no T should have been assessed. Do I have this right?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclueless
I pulled a bonehead move Saturday. Called for a timeout when not in possesion of the ball. I was given the TO and assessed a technical. I had TO's available so that wasn't the issue. From what I can see in the book (5-8-3), I should not have been awarded the TO, and no T should have been assessed. Do I have this right?
No 'T' should have been assessed. Whether or not you should still have been granted a TO depends on which rule set you were using.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:25pm.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

you get your TO, no "T"

once the TO is granted you get it regardless of whether it should have been granted or not...there is no "T" in this case in any event..
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

What level of basketball are we talking about here? I agree that you should not have gotten the T for this one. The official should have ignored your request, however once they grant the time out, they have to eat it and go explain to the other coach why they granted a TO to you when you didn't have the ball.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclueless
Partially.

There shouldn't have been a technical foul issued. Once granted, you're going to be charged with the timeout and you can take it. Case book play 5.8.3SitE.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS. Our rec league (7/8 grade boys) uses CA High School rules which are "CIF" but they deffer to NFHS.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

A referee can call an "inadvertant whistle" and resume play.

I trust your response, rection was professional during this event and did not make the T an option?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
A referee can call an "inadvertant whistle" and resume play.
Once you blow the inadvertant whistle though, the ball is dead, so he's entitled to a TO then.

EDIT: Entitled isn't really the word, but there's no reason now to not grant his request.

Last edited by WhistlesAndStripes; Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:25pm.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

but if i did say it was an inadvertent whistle, I would still not let him have the time-out, and quickly put the ball back in play.. Not basing this on any rule, just probably what I'd do.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

The only way I think you can receive the T along with the TO is issue the TO, the table will then tell you that team has no TO's to give, so you then give the T as well as the TO.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_from_Mi
The only way I think you can receive the T along with the TO is issue the TO, the table will then tell you that team has no TO's to give, so you then give the T as well as the TO.
"Seeing as the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? Because if it leaks to the VC, he could end up an MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP."

Got that movie?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOne
but if i did say it was an inadvertent whistle, I would still not let him have the time-out, and quickly put the ball back in play.. Not basing this on any rule, just probably what I'd do.
The problem is it runs counter to the NFHS desire on this. Once you blow it dead, B gets their TO.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Seems like the bonehead was the official that blew the play dead. The T on top of it was completely stupid. Basically he's giving you a T for his mistake. I hope someone straightens him out.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:54am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Got that movie?
Too easy!!!

Goooooooood Morning, Vietnaaaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!