LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Three Big Sky Officials Suspended

http://www.helenair.com/articles/200...2012307_02.txt

Interesting article. Any thoughts??
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Reinforces the prevaling opinion here that not correctly applying the rules can get you into trouble with your assigners.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:50am
Huck Finn

After the NFL playoffs last year I made a comment about the spotlight being on officials and it was met with negative responses. Well, there continue to be issues with officials in different sports and officials continue to be punished. I can say for certain, some officials would not think very highly of a site like this, but we talk about plays all the time and that only helps. This is an unfortunate situation that was probably thought out after the fact and the officials were punished accordingly.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:12am

I wonder how do they impose a one game suspension? In basketball, you're mainly working with a different crew every game. So each of these officials next game is off the books? It could be 3 different games at 3 different locations.

I also wonder if the 3 points made a difference in the game, and if not, why publicize the officials mistake? I thought that we are protected by such public discipline. If it cost the team the game, okay, yeah, because the public has a right to know what you are going to do about it. But something internal like that, not sure if it needs to be publicize. Now these guys got a bulleye on there head no matter where they work afterwards. If I'm making a salary like what some of the coaches are making, okay, my mistakes should get magnified, comes with the job. But officials are not getting that type of cake for pay. Why ruin there reputation for something that didn't cost the team a lost?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:41pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I wonder how do they impose a one game suspension? In basketball, you're mainly working with a different crew every game. So each of these officials next game is off the books? It could be 3 different games at 3 different locations.

I also wonder if the 3 points made a difference in the game, and if not, why publicize the officials mistake? I thought that we are protected by such public discipline. If it cost the team the game, okay, yeah, because the public has a right to know what you are going to do about it. But something internal like that, not sure if it needs to be publicize. Now these guys got a bulleye on there head no matter where they work afterwards. If I'm making a salary like what some of the coaches are making, okay, my mistakes should get magnified, comes with the job. But officials are not getting that type of cake for pay. Why ruin there reputation for something that didn't cost the team a lost?
The Jig is up! You have been busted and you aren't going to weasel your way out of this one. Here are the reasons why this post shows that you have been less than truthful:

1. You wonder how they impose a one game suspension? If you really officiated and assigned at the level you say you do then you would know that any one official can simply be replaced in a game. Just because you replace one official on a crew doesn't mean that the other members, who weren't involved in this game, lose that game. There are a ton of officials chomping at the bit to take these games. If you did college ball you would know that.
2. You thought we are protected from public discipline? Where have you been? Sports officials get called out more than ever when they make a mistake or do something within the rules that the normal fan, coach, player or broadcaster does not know. Again, where have you been?
3. Do you know how much a Big Sky official makes? It isn't chump change. The Big Sky office used to buy the plane tickets so it wasn't as much as some conferences, but they still probably make about 30 times more than you make in your rec games.
4. So you think their reputation will be ruined big guy? I believe the guy who went to the monitor before officials were supposed to do so has several final fours under his belt. Also, I believe the officials involved in the play that created the men's blarge rules are final four officials. If that is ruining a reputation, would someone please ruin mine?

How are you going to backpedal and explain how you could make such - no offense to anyone intended - rookie comments?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School

I hear it all the time from my college supervisors "accountability." We the big pay checks comes more "accountability!"
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I hear it all the time from my college supervisors "accountability." We the big pay checks comes more "accountability!"
Do a bottle of water and a hot shower come with the paychecks?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Yeah, they'll give you a bottle of warm water. It's a two-for-one kinda deal.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
You wonder how they impose a one game suspension? If you really officiated and assigned at the level you say you do then you would know that any one official can simply be replaced in a game. Just because you replace one official on a crew doesn't mean that the other members, who weren't involved in this game, lose that game. There are a ton of officials chomping at the bit to take these games. If you did college ball you would know that.
If he did high school ball, he would know that.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Hot water...what is that?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Hot water...what is that?
I think it's what my driveway is made of; 'cause everytime I get home I'm in it.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:37pm

Quote:
The Jig is up! You have been busted and you aren't going to weasel your way out of this one. Here are the reasons why this post shows that you have been less than truthful:

1. You wonder how they impose a one game suspension? If you really officiated and assigned at the level you say you do then you would know that any one official can simply be replaced in a game. Just because you replace one official on a crew doesn't mean that the other members, who weren't involved in this game, lose that game. There are a ton of officials chomping at the bit to take these games. If you did college ball you would know that. I do know this. There's a lot of officials chomping at the bit to get a chance.
2. You thought we are protected from public discipline? Where have you been? Sports officials get called out more than ever when they make a mistake or do something within the rules that the normal fan, coach, player or broadcaster does not know. Again, where have you been? I would think that they would try to keep this in-house as much as possible because of liability issues. For instance, if a official makes the same mistakes and his name is not mention in the public forum like the paper, then you might have some credibility issues.
3. Do you know how much a Big Sky official makes? It isn't chump change. The Big Sky office used to buy the plane tickets so it wasn't as much as some conferences, but they still probably make about 30 times more than you make in your rec games. I don't think a Big Sky official is making near the money of a Big sky coach, imo
4. So you think their reputation will be ruined big guy? I believe the guy who went to the monitor before officials were supposed to do so has several final fours under his belt. Also, I believe the officials involved in the play that created the men's blarge rules are final four officials. If that is ruining a reputation, would someone please ruin mine? The question becomes, do you think they will get anymore Final Four appearances because of this? And if they where, you know they're going to be under a microscope, would you want that undue pressure?
How are you going to backpedal and explain how you could make such - no offense to anyone intended - rookie comments?
No offense taken, read the RED notes.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:52pm
Huck Finn

Old School, you should know about credibility since yours just took another hit!
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:23pm

Quote:
Old School, you should know about credibility since yours just took another hit!
Since I don't have to worry about getting any games from anyone on this forum, it's like water under the bridge. It keeps on flowing and I keep on going, on to my next assignment.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

"...in light of the recent NCAA bulletin, which specifically addresses ’do-overs’..."

Could someone please post this bulletin. I would like to see what it says. Is it on e-officials?