The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 06:17pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92
High school girl's game, with 30 sec. shot clock in play.

A1 fouls B1 while in the shooting motion and prohibits the ball from immediately leaving the shooter's hand. The 30 sec. shot clock sounds while the ball is still in B1's hand, but then the ball is shot and goes in. What is the result?
Waive off the basket. Penalize the foul with 2 or 3 free throws awarded to B1, accordingly.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 06:32pm

Count the bucket, shoot one, keep playing. Player was fouled in the act of shooting, habitual motion has started. If it's not the end of the game, don't beat yourself up.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92
High school girl's game, with 30 sec. shot clock in play.

A1 fouls B1 while in the shooting motion and prohibits the ball from immediately leaving the shooter's hand. The 30 sec. shot clock sounds while the ball is still in B1's hand, but then the ball is shot and goes in. What is the result?
The case book clearly says that you don't count the basket and give the shooter 2 or 3 shots. -- FED and NCAA
NCAA rules state that you shall go to the monitor on this situation to see if the foul occurred and/or the shot was released before the horn or 0.00 on the clock. And if the foul occurred before the expiration of time, you put the time back on the clock that remained when the foul occurred, not when the whistle blew.
Question is this: By putting time back on the clock, the period never expired and the horn shoudn't have sounded.
Do we then count the basket because of the timing error?
Which rule supercedes the other?
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
The case book clearly says that you don't count the basket and give the shooter 2 or 3 shots. -- FED and NCAA
NCAA rules state that you shall go to the monitor on this situation to see if the foul occurred and/or the shot was released before the horn or 0.00 on the clock. And if the foul occurred before the expiration of time, you put the time back on the clock that remained when the foul occurred, not when the whistle blew.
Question is this: By putting time back on the clock, the period never expired and the horn shoudn't have sounded.
Do we then count the basket because of the timing error?
Which rule supercedes the other?
Not trying to sound like a jerk...but could you please point out in the case book and NFHS rulebook (not with me at the current moment, and would like to look it up later) why the basket would NOT count?

Whether it was "foul", "horn", "release" OR "foul", "release", "horn" on the make, wouldn't the foul cancel out the shot clock? She'd be in the act of shooting regardless of whether ANY horn went off, right?

Again, not trying to sound like a smarta#%, just really intrigued by this question. Thanks!
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra
Not trying to sound like a jerk...but could you please point out in the case book and NFHS rulebook (not with me at the current moment, and would like to look it up later) why the basket would NOT count?

Whether it was "foul", "horn", "release" OR "foul", "release", "horn" on the make, wouldn't the foul cancel out the shot clock? She'd be in the act of shooting regardless of whether ANY horn went off, right?

Again, not trying to sound like a smarta#%, just really intrigued by this question. Thanks!

Think of it as a last shot situation.

On your "foul, "horn", "release" the shot will not count due to the horn sounding she did not release the shot before the horn Rule 7-7-5 see exception a & b) although the player started the shooting motion.

On the "foul, "release" "horn" the shot will only count if the shooter release the ball before the horn. In this situation you will allow the shooter to complete the try for goal. See Rule 7-7-5 exception c

I hope this clear it up a little more.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 01:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you put time back on the clock, the basket should count.

Now; how in the world are you finding old threads like this? More importantly, why?
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie

On your "foul, "horn", "release" the shot will not count due to the horn sounding she did not release the shot before the horn Rule 7-7-5 see exception a & b) although the player started the shooting motion.

On the "foul, "release" "horn" the shot will only count if the shooter release the ball before the horn. In this situation you will allow the shooter to complete the try for goal. See Rule 7-7-5 exception c

Thanks, I'll take a look tonight. I just thought that in "foul", "horn", "release", the "foul" and being in the act of shooting would still allow the bucket if the "release" was after the horn (again, being in the act of shooting...I know this all happens in a split second...for example if the shooter is really strong and muscles through the fould after the horn and gets the shot off).

I'll look it up tonight. Again, I appreciate the rulebook reference points!
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 01:29pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If you put time back on the clock, the basket should count.
Can you explain this one a little more?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 01:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The rule states the basket shall not count if time has expired prior to the release of the shot. Previously, in NFHS, there was a lag time rule which essentially prohibited officials from putting time back on if the whistle blew with less than 1 second on the clock. This meant, if there was a foul, whistle, horn, release situation (in that order), the basket could not count.
With the removal of lag time, we can now put time back on the clock if we see how much time should be put back on.

IOW, if you have the foul, whistle, horn, release, but one official sees .8 seconds on the clock after the whistle, you can put .8 seconds on the clock. Since time hasn't expired, the basket should count.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

PTS solves this whole problem
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The rule states the basket shall not count if time has expired prior to the release of the shot. Previously, in NFHS, there was a lag time rule which essentially prohibited officials from putting time back on if the whistle blew with less than 1 second on the clock. This meant, if there was a foul, whistle, horn, release situation (in that order), the basket could not count.
With the removal of lag time, we can now put time back on the clock if we see how much time should be put back on.

IOW, if you have the foul, whistle, horn, release, but one official sees .8 seconds on the clock after the whistle, you can put .8 seconds on the clock. Since time hasn't expired, the basket should count.

In theory, I guess I see this. In reality, the length of time for the shooting motion versus the length of time for the obvious timing error which caused the release to come after the buzzer is something which would be almost impossible to occur. Anybody ever see this happen?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 03:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not likely to happen often. It's possible, though, especially if the foul causes a "pump fake" action from the shooter. Or, on a layup, if the foul occurs early in the shooting motion, the entire shooting motion could take a full second or more.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 03:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Not likely to happen often. It's possible, though, especially if the foul causes a "pump fake" action from the shooter. Or, on a layup, if the foul occurs early in the shooting motion, the entire shooting motion could take a full second or more.
I'd have to see this one.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Really? Look up when the shooting motion starts. There's plenty of time for the scenario. Frankly, 1 second is a conservative figure.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie

I checked in my NFHS rulebook for 07-08, and in my book, there is no 7-7-5. The "Rule 7" has to do with "Out of Bounds and Throw In", and only goes to Rule 7, Section 6, Article 5. The closes I could find concerning this post was 5-6, exception 3, stating....

"If a fould occurs so near the expiration of time that the timer cannot get the clock stopped before time expires or after time expires, but while the ball is in flight during a try or tap for field goal. The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as it 2-10 is rectified. No free throw(s) shall be attempted after time has expired for 4th q or any extra period, unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game."

Still trying to find a rule where it would NOT count the bucket for "foul", "whistle", "horn", "release", where clock couldn't get stopped in time.

Any help would be great