The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Girl's Game Sitch - Basket or No Basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31116-girls-game-sitch-basket-no-basket.html)

IUgrad92 Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:10pm

Girl's Game Sitch - Basket or No Basket

High school girl's game, with 30 sec. shot clock in play.

A1 fouls B1 while in the shooting motion and prohibits the ball from immediately leaving the shooter's hand. The 30 sec. shot clock sounds while the ball is still in B1's hand, but then the ball is shot and goes in. What is the result?

Scrapper1 Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92

A1 fouls B1 while in the shooting motion and prohibits the ball from immediately leaving the shooter's hand. The 30 sec. shot clock sounds while the ball is still in B1's hand, but then the ball is shot and goes in. What is the result?

Well, the shot obviously cannot count if it wasn't released before the shot clock horn. Penalize the foul and shoot 2 FTs.

Anyone who would even consider a held ball here is a complete and utter moron! :rolleyes:

GarthB Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92

From last night's meeting?

deecee Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:25pm

foul occured before the horn sounds -- shooting foul -- horn sounds then ball released and goes in -- no score of the basket. 2 shot foul

where do you get a held ball scrapper?

truerookie Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Well, the shot obviously cannot count if it wasn't released before the shot clock horn. But I would likely have a held ball here. If the horn sounds as I'm blowing the whistle, then shot clock violation.

So, are we going to ignore the foul?

PYRef Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:48pm

No, we have a shooting foul with two free throws awarded. The basket doesn't count as it was after the shot clock horn.
You could only have a held ball in this sitch if B1 was an airborne shooter, which is not specified in the OP. If he is on the floor, it's not a held ball, and that is assuming there was no foul also.

Scrapper1 Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
So, are we going to ignore the foul?

Quote:

where do you get a held ball scrapper?
Aaauurrrgghhhh!! I missed the foul. I thought the question was about the shot clock. My bad!! Definitely penalize the shooting foul. No held ball. No basket. 2 shots for the kid that was fouled.

The lesson, as always: I'm an idiot.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 22, 2007 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1

The lesson, as always: I'm an idiot.

Well, we certainly don't expect you Texas Ranger's fans to be perfect.

Or smart.

You are stoopid beyond your years.

Raymond Mon Jan 22, 2007 02:22pm

Just asking...

Do the same rules apply to stopping the shot clock as would stopping the game clock. In other words if the whistle blows and we see 1 second on the shot clock could we say we have definite knowledge that the shot clock should have stopped?

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 22, 2007 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Do the same rules apply to stopping the shot clock as would stopping the game clock. In other words if the whistle blows and we see 1 second on the shot clock could we say we have definite knowledge that the shot clock should have stopped?

You've got a mean streak in ya.

I like that in an official.

SmokeEater Mon Jan 22, 2007 02:49pm

If the whistle is for a foul you get a new clock anyways. If not I would say having definite knowledge about elapsed time can be replaced.

Scrapper1 Mon Jan 22, 2007 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater
If the whistle is for a foul you get a new clock anyways.

Yes, but what if the sequence is foul, horn, release, ball goes in. Since the foul came before the horn, the horn never should've sounded. So do you count the basket or not?

That's way Jurassic said he had a mean streak. :D

deecee Mon Jan 22, 2007 03:21pm

damn thats a good one -- if he wasnt fouled it would have been a clear SC violation -- but in this stich i would not know how or where to cite.

blindzebra Mon Jan 22, 2007 03:42pm

It's a live ball that becomes dead on the SC violation, it's pretty difficult to invision enough hangtime by the shooter to have an obvious timing error in the foul, whistle, horn, shot sequence. 6.6.2 exceptions 2 and 3 talk about quarters ending, but the idea is the same.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 22, 2007 04:21pm

The amount of time it take to progress from starting the act of shooting to the release is not specified. That interval of time can most definitely be affected by a foul. In absense of a foul, the shot may or may not have been released in time. Being forced to put up a shot through the foul can (and usually will) cause the shooting motion to take a little longer....particularly if the foul is very early in the shooting motion such as when the player is pivoting prior to releasing the ball on a typical post move.

I'm of the camp that if the foul is committed (and the whistle is blown) before the horn, then the clock was not properly stopped and horn sounded in error and is, as a result, irrelevant.