The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"your reffing takes the fun out of the game."
the offspring to LET THEM PLAY -- which of course is the ugly deformed sibling to CALL SOMETHING SOMEONE WILL GET HURT

all translate to -- My kid doesnt have the level of skill that I think he has or should be playing at to warrant any type of interest from even a JUCO college.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref
As I report the foul, his father (who was also the coach) says "your reffing takes the fun out of the game."
I think it's obvious who took the fun out of the game for his kid.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

I coach MS ball in the same district as Poole, and unfortunately his leadership is more the exception than the norm
I have a similar rule, and both coaches I played for in HS had a rule requiring some type of punishment for technicals.
In all my years of basketball, I have seen ONE technical that was undeserved (an assistant standing up during a big play at the end of game). The rest were all someone acting like an idiot. Whether a technical was deserved is always debatable, but I tell my guys that if you don't do anything wrong, and play with class, then you have nothing to worry about.
BTw - the rule applies to me and my coaching staff as well (how can we expect the kids to behave if we don't?).
http://www.courier-tribune.com/artic...sports/hs1.txt
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

I had heard of that Randolph County situation but hadn't seen the story. Not a good sitch at all.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 09:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach
Quote:
“When the (second) technical was called, it was a misunderstanding,” Johnson said on the call after a discussion with the official. “So we only went with the one technical.”

Michael Hutcher, the official, agreed, but said he felt Young still should have been ejected.

“After we spoke at halftime ... it was a misunderstanding,” he said. “I felt he should have been gone at that point, but we ended up allowing him to stay.”
These quotes are from the officials!! You guys allow your refs to give post-game interviews down there?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

My rule is get a T, sit the rest of the game.

I have never had a "player get T'd" in my 6 years of V.

If someone gets one with 10 seconds left in the game, I'll make a new rule I 'spose.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
These quotes are from the officials!! You guys allow your refs to give post-game interviews down there?
Not to my knowledge.

Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Harsh ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I coached HS ball for 15 years. That seems a bit harsh to me. Certainly sends a message though. I always wanted my teams to play with emotion - add to that the fact that these are kids - they are going to make emotional mistakes. While I agree that they need to learn there are consequences for their actions - I think the damage it does to the team in that game is enough. There are specific rules set up inside the game to handle the situation. I always removed a player immediately after a "T" to settle them down and would always talk to them before they went back in the game. While this is certainly within the coach's ability to do, I personally think this is pretty extreme.
How could this be Harsh ????? After the kids second Technical we are going to do the same thing -by Rule. I think it is the best thing to do. Harsh is when he/she violates later in life.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Giacoma
How could this be Harsh ????? After the kids second Technical we are going to do the same thing -by Rule. I think it is the best thing to do. Harsh is when he/she violates later in life.
First of all, we are never going to do the same thing. He disqualifies himself after receiving 2 in the same game and we do not make him sit out any games after that. Anything like that is done by a governing authority - not the officials.

I said that I think it's harsh - yes. Notice the pronoun "I" - meaning my opinion. If you read my post through, I give the coach his "due" by stating that he is sending a message and also state that he is well within his rights to enact this punishment. I'll take that a step farther and say that the kids have no right to complain since they signed a contract stating that. That being said - I still believe - and this is only MY opinion - that it is harsh. I don't believe the punishment fits the crime. Again, I'm not and never have worked in an inner-city environment but that's just the way I think.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I have since learned that there were other incidents that led to the multiple game suspension for the one player. Believe me, it was well deserved.

He continues his policy of a one game suspension for any player who receives an unsporting technical foul. I have not seen any technicals in the boxscores for this team since the coach took a harder line.

Must be working!

Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:11am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Some of what these kids see on TV in the NBA, makes them believe some of their reactions and attitudes which generate a T, are acceptable.
I have to agree with this statement. As a student, I was a part of a high school and college team where the coaches were "old school" with player-official interaction. Some of the stuff that went on now would not happen under their watch.

But yes, I think that as the NBA players whine and complain on every possession about calls and no-calls, it's trickled down to lower levels witht he thought that it must be acceptable.

Not sure what I think of the coach that's the subject of this thread, but if it teaches his kids not to get T's, so be it. But hopefully he makes allowance for the situation. I'd be less likely to sit a kid that got a T for hanging on the rim than I would for mouthing off to an official.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I agree that coaches should not get Ts either, but the coaches are adults. Children need to understand that there is a different standard when you an adult as to when you are a child. You do not need the same rule to apply to player and coach. That is my opinion.

Peace
Jr, I think this is the first time we disagree. I actually hold the coach to a higher standered since he is the modle of sportsmanship. Am I alone in this??
Just my 2 cents.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Jr, I think this is the first time we disagree. I actually hold the coach to a higher standered since he is the modle of sportsmanship. Am I alone in this??
Just my 2 cents.
fonzzy, I think you'll find that a lot of coaches have a philosophy that the only person who should get a T on his/her team is the coach. They want their players to play and leave all the interaction with the officials up to the coaches.

Similar to what I tell my teen-age son about his behavior at school. He (player) is to do what the teachers (officials) tell him, if teachers (officials) are doing something he (player) doesn't like, let me (coach) know and I (coach) will deal with the teachers (officials).
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Just my 2 cents.
It is not about holding someone to a higher standard. I have a different standard for adults then I do with children. I do not believe people that live with their parents have the same rights as someone that was hired to run a program. When I was a kid I was told until I moved out of my parent’s house, I do not have much say. Just because it is a basketball game, does not mean some of the same things do not apply.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
I'd be less likely to sit a kid that got a T for hanging on the rim than I would for mouthing off to an official.
Stat-man, note what Bktballref said about the policy:

Quote:
He continues his policy of a one game suspension for any player who receives an unsporting technical foul.
I think the coach agrees with you. Hanging on the rim is dumb, but not unsporting.