The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Direct Technicals to Bench Players

This is my first year being certified for HS basketball. I had a HS girls freshman basketball game last friday nite. Early in the game, my partner made a good no-call on shot, and a few players on the bench for Team A stood up and yelled "thats not a foul?" right in my ear. I turn around, and say to the head coach "please control your bench". This happened a few more times in the first half. In the second half, Team A brings the ball down the court, drives to the hoop, loses control of the ball, and the same two players stood up and said "thats not a foul either?". Once again, going back down the court, I turn to the coach and say "Coach, please control your bench". With a little under three minutes to play in the game, Team A brings the ball up the court, and passes to the block, A1 turns into B1, and B1 commits incidental contact with A1. A1 passes the ball to A2, and as A2 shoots a 3 pointer, the same player on Team A's bench jumps up, looks at me, and screams "And that's not a foul either?". I T up the player, and report it as a Direct Technical to that player, not as an Indirect to the Coach. Since A1's try is in flight, we count the shot.
Was this the correct procedure for this situation? And did I handle it correctly?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Early in the game, my partner made a good no-call on shot, and a few players on the bench for Team A stood up and yelled "thats not a foul?" right in my ear.
WHACK! Right there. No problems the rest of the game. No way anyone, ESPECIALLY a bench player, is going to scream at me.

The T is charged to the individual on the bench, but is also an indirect technical on the head coach, so he will need to strap his seatbelt on for the rest of the night.

Last edited by Ignats75; Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 01:47pm.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
Was this the correct procedure for this situation?
Yes, the shot counts. The technical foul is assessed directly to the player on the bench, and also charged indirectly to the head coach. The coach no longer has the privilege of using the coaching box at that point (if Kansas uses a coaching box).

Quote:
And did I handle it correctly?
Sure. Once you warned the coach about the bench, you could have called the technical on the second outburst. But you took care of the situation, and I certainly wouldn't fault you for it.

Welcome to the forum, btw. Good luck with the rest of your season.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Direct on player, indirect to HC, ball in flight so basket counts.

As a first year official I commend you for properly warning the coach and on having the 'nads to call a T in this situation. Personally I would have called the T when the 2nd incident occurred b/c you had already warned the HC about his bench.

Remember in situations like this, if you issue a warning, be sure to advise your parnter(s). A warning by one = a warning by the entire crew.

Quote:
...and B1 commits incidental contact with A1
That's funny, never heard it phrased that way before. I think a friend of mine tried that excuse when he was busted out at the bar by his wife.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, Kansas does use a coaching box. And nice comment badnewsref
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Oh and guys, I am 18 yrs old, and although this is my first year certified, this is my 4th year officiating basketball, but only my first doing MS and HS ball. Thanks for the critiques
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
Yes, Kansas does use a coaching box. And nice comment badnewsref
Kasasref, comments on a couple of things that have already been mentioned.

1- Warn the coach ONCE. The next time, POP! Don't keep warning and warning and warning.

2- You've listended to it all night...now with 2 + minutes to go you're going to call the T? Bad, bad choice for any official. Don't listen to nyhting all night, or allow players to play a certain way during the entire game, and then call something in the last 3 minutes.

Otherwise,...

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I gotta agree with everyone else. You told the coach to control their bench once. The next time it happened you should have thrown the T. Think of parents and kids or teachers and kids. If the parent or teacher keeps warning but doesn't do anything, the behavior never changes. If the parent or teacher warns and then follows through with the consequences, behavior usually changes.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I was his partner during this game. He was PUMPED after throwing that T. That girl had been jaw jackin all night, and he shut her down.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref
I was his partner during this game. He was PUMPED after throwing that T. That girl had been jaw jackin all night, and he shut her down.
All fine and good, but she should have been shut down much earlier.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm certainly not going to criticize him for not doing it earlier. Its a feel thing, and officials are different. The first incident is described as the player "stood up and yelled..." Then, they "stood up and said..." Finally, they "jumps up, looks at me, and screams..." So I might have handled it in a similar fashion, though its doubtful I would have let it pass a second time. However, given that I wasn't there, what happened wasn't unreasonable.

Here's a tip: when you give a warning, blow the whistle and announce the warning. Obviously, do this during a dead ball, but stop play after a made basket if necessary. (Yes, I can already predict those that say don't do this because there's no rules support...) An announced verbal warning, "BENCH HAS BEEN WARNED," in a loud, but neutral toned voice does wonders.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I only say he "should have" shut her down sooner because by the time he gave out the T, he was "pumped." If it's affecting you that much, it needs to be dealt with sooner. It wasn't meant as criticism as much as advice. I've let this stuff go on too long before, but those should be learning experiences.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I only say he "should have" shut her down sooner because by the time he gave out the T, he was "pumped." If it's affecting you that much, it needs to be dealt with sooner. It wasn't meant as criticism as much as advice. I've let this stuff go on too long before, but those should be learning experiences.
He's a first year guy. We all used to get a little "pumped' on a T in some fashion or another at some point in our careers. Hell, my first T got a standing ovation from 6 or 7 officials haning out watching at the table (a weekend tourney). I almost "raised the roof"! At least he eventually took care of business. As your career goes on, he'll call the T and it won't be a big deal.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref
It's probably just the way you worded it, but I don't think we should be to "pumped" about "throwing" a T. A tech is just another foul that needs to be addressed. ~ The only reason I state this is because when I was in my first couple years of doing V and College ball, I would get emotional about the T's I called...........and...........I watched the highlights of a T I called one night and I personally don't think I looked professional in my manner! JMO !!
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I don't agree with the warning. Why? If the situation is like the OP described, the coach can hear it upfront. Penalize immediately!! As you can see it took three warnings and a T in the last couple of minutes of the game to correct the situation.

Where do we get off warning everyone before we penalize?