The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:34pm
PYRef

Go take a valium deecee, you need to relax.

I have no problems with coaches setting the bar for their kids. I've coached soccer, baseball and basketball, and all the kids and parents are well informed as to what is expected from them. I'm focused on teaching them the game and good sportsmanship. There are plenty of life lessons to be learned there without cleaning roadsides and visiting nursing homes. JMO
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
I can understand maybe making someone sit because of their grades if it is a school sanctioned team, but this? Most schools have academic stop lists for players that aren't doing well.
Why is it your responsibility to prepare these kids for their future? That's what the parents are for. If I was paying for my kid to play/learn basketball, I wouldn't be too pleased either if you were imposing requirements on them that have nothing to do with the game.
Not trying to be harsh. I just don't see the significance.
1. You have to be intelligent to play basketball on my team - if not, your lost! If you can't manage to get a "B" in Social Studies, then chances are, you won't be able to manage the concepts that I want you to learn on the court - also, if you can't manage to get a "B", then basketball practice 4 nights a week plus weekend games, shouldn't be your priority (imho)

2. It's not like I surprised anyone - this is something that is on a players contract signed the first day of tryouts - I'm not forcing anyone to play on my team.

3. And being responsible for you grades has EVERYTHING to do with the game. My girls know that basketball is a privelage - not a right - they have to work hard to play on my team. When they get to college - they'll be able to handle whatever a coach throws at them and get good grades at the same time. You are exactly right, I don't have to do what I do - it is the parent's job - but more reinforcement can't hurt.

4. Although a few parents didn't like the idea from the start - when their children's grades improved, they then thought it was a great policy!!
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
if I coach I coach on my terms -- otherwise DONT LET YOUR KIDS PLAY FOR THAT COACH.

It really annoys the sh!t out of me when I coached that I would lay out what was expected and when I went to enforce or follow up the parents all seemed so shocked and make a big deal of it. Requiring your players to do some sort of community service -- especially for AAU type teams is VERY GOOD -- being a coach is more than just teaching the X's and O's of the sport and the really good ones teach the X's and O's of life though the sport that they are teaching.

IF THE PARENTS DONE LIKE IT FIND ANOTHER TEAM OR COACH TO HAVE YOUR KIDS PLAY ON
I couldn't agree more!!

Although I learned the foundation of everything I know about basketball from my HS coach Morgan Wootten, I learned much more about life from him than basketball.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Requiring your players to do some sort of community service -- especially for AAU type teams is VERY GOOD

As a teacher and as one who volunteers with various non-profits, I have long been confused about the concept of forced volunteerism. This oxymoron seem lost on a lot of people.

I prefer to organize volunteer opportunities for my students and explain the need for each of us to help others from time to time. The final decision to volunteer, however, I leave up to each student.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:08pm
PYRef

AMC, I don't have any problem with this, and I agree with everything you said regarding grades if it isn't already covered by a school requirement. In this case it isn't, as it is AAU. Maybe I didn't make my first post that clear. My questioning of your OP mainly concerned your community service requirement.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Requiring your players to do some sort of community service -- especially for AAU type teams is VERY GOOD

As a teacher and as one who volunteers with various non-profits, I have long been confused about the concept of forced volunteerism. This oxymoron seem lost on a lot of people.

I prefer to organize volunteer opportunities for my students and explain the need for each of us to help others from time to time. The final decision to volunteer, however, I leave up to each student.
I wouldn't consider this forced volunteerism... anymore than I am forcing them to come to practice or games. If you miss a game, and I don't know ahead of time, or there isn't some emergency - you are off my team.. No questions asked. First day of tryouts - when I explain the contract to parents and players, I let them know that we will be doing 2 events in the community

I do understand you point though...
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Why is it your responsibility to prepare these kids for their future?
None. It's certainly not the responsibility of teachers and coaches to help prepare kids for the future.

Kudos deecee on the community involvement of your players!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

If the Coach has determined that his players will not/can not receive a T .... what happens if one or two are tagged to him?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
If the Coach has determined that his players will not/can not receive a T .... what happens if one or two are tagged to him?

this was exactly the point I brought up in the beginning.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Some coaches teach that. They want to be the only ones talking to the officials during the game. Personally, I don't get involved in the philosophies anyway. None of that has got anything to do with us as officials. I just call a "T" on anyone who deserves one.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Have we not been discussing this very question?

Quote:
So are you telling me the long time school Superintendent gets called for a DUI and a teacher with no tenure is caught for a DUI at the same time, do you think the punishment is going to be the same?

I am sure you know the answer to this question.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Back to the subject at hand. In my entire basketball playing career running from 6th grade up to last year when I was playing Over-32 intramurals (at 41 years of age) every single technical foul I received, except for 2, I knew I was acting out of line yet decided not to control myself.

Even at 11 years old I knew I was being an a$$ in reaction to a call I didn't like. Playing with emotion has nothing to do with getting technical fouls for unsporting behavior.

On a side note: The two I didn't think I deserved:
  • The official thought I said something that I honestly did not say.
  • I said to an official, "you can't penalize me for hustle" (well, maybe I did deserve that one, but at the time I was not trying to get a T)
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Just an FYI, In soccer any player who gets 2 "Yellow Cards" is out for the remainder of the game plus the next game. Coaches in NFHS & NCAA soccer shown two "Yellow Cards" also out for remainder of game plus next game. I referee both Basketball and Soccer and the regarding "unsporting behavior" a technical and a "Yellow Card" are pretty much the same.

I have never understood why our state enforces the "next game" ban on Soccer players & Coaches but does not have the same requirement for Basketball players and Coaches.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

if you get 2 T's you are out for that game and the next -- so what are you griping about
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I nailed a 5th grader once in a YMCA game for yelling "These guys suck!" after he didn't agree with something. Coach pulled him for a while, and after the game, his Dad made him apologize to me.
Much better than the parents of the kid my partner hit with a flagrant personal this year; who called the home school's AD and complained that he (the AD) was taking away her son's "right" to play.
Being a known ref in my community I get asked to volunteer for YMCA or youth rec tournaments from time to time. I always help them out if my schedule is open. Well, a few years ago, I had a 6th grade kid slam the ball and say "whatever" when I called travel on him. I promptly gave him a technical foul....which meant he was done for the game in this league.

As I report the foul, his father (who was also the coach) says "your reffing takes the fun out of the game." The gentleman running the tournament told the coach he had to leave the gym for his inappropriate remarks. When I left the gym (5 hours later) the father was waiting for me outside. He chewed me out up and down for embarrassing him and his family. He was a real jerk and I had had enough so I said "no, you have always been an embarrassment and if you don't change soon, your son will be as well."